Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: Anyone able to help me with a muscle growth diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
Let me guess. You want to be "swoll/huge" right?

Steps:
1.Gain Fat (eat alot, especially at night)
2.Turn to Muscle (workout heavy with less reps)

Doesn't really mattter what you eat really. Just eat alottt

I don't think he necessarily needs to gain fat. I've added over 25 pounds of muscle in the last 3-4 years and I wouldnt say i ever really added "fat"

For me it was just weights, weights, weights, eggs, chicken, turkey, tuna, beef, protein shakes....Only ate one full meal a day, but that one meal was LOADED with the foods I just listed. Just takes a lot of effort

Also lots of Subway lol
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
How have you played football and not done weight training? Unless you're talking about soccer.

I played Aussie football up until age 19. For my role I didn't particularly need huge upper body strength. It was more endurance/speed and skills. I was always a great long distance runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxhqXzVBen4

Last edited by maybeshewill13 : 10-24-2012 at 12:32 AM.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
Oh, of course I generally know what's healthy and not.. but I've heard things like avoid pasta/carbs completely, but I thought there were some healthy pastas and breads (multigrain) etc.

carbs = energy

to much carbs (energy) = gives you extra bodyfat

not using/wasting carbs (energy) = gives you extra bodyfat

using/wasting those carbs (energy) = gives you better results, gives you a better workout (if lifting then ofcourse you get muscle), it is energy afterall...

Understand? Depends on how you use it....

Carbs in your case (your very low weight at that size) is very good and very important for you.... just eat my man!

Last edited by pauk : 10-24-2012 at 12:39 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #19
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
carbs = energy

to much carbs (energy) = gives you extra bodyfat

not using/wasting carbs (energy) = gives you extra bodyfat

using/wasting those carbs (energy) = gives you muscle...

Understand? Depends on how you use it....

Carbs in your case (your very low weight at that size) is very good and very important for you.... just eat my man!

Schweet. Sounds like I just have to eat more (healthily) and make sure I'm taking in a lot of protein.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #20
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Let me just start off by saying that through my experiences, anyone who says its impossible to gain muscle and lose fat is wrong. Over the last 7 months, I've gone from 158 lbs (we're roughly the same height) to 172 lbs while maintaining, if not increasing my leanness.

What I recommend would be diet-world heresy. Everyone recommends smaller meals spread throughout the day, or grazing, but I tried it and it just didn't work for me. Now, for years, I heard about intermittent fasting, but because I was under the impression that to get HYOOOOGE, you had to eat "all day ERRRR day," I simply called bullshit. Fast forward to now and I'm a believer

There are many ways to go about intermittent fasting, but the protocol I use is simply to skip breakfast (I have sinned!). Then, I have a light lunch and snack before dinner, and then just have an absolute FEAST during dinner time. It fit perfectly with me too since I trained at night due to my college sched. In a nutshell, short-term fasting gives the body time to detoxify and remove any and all crap that the body takes in through food, drink, and even air. In fact, one of the things you'll probably notice if you start doing this is that you're going to be consistently crapping in the morning, maybe more than once (but its not the diarrhea type barrage). It also helps regulate the hormones necessary for optimal health and fitness. At first I thought it was going to be hard gaining muscle on this, but since it helps "fix" your insulin sensitivity, catabolic hormone levels, and anabolic hormone levels, it was pretty easy. Slow, but easy. Since you said you don't mind how long it seems to take though, I'm sure this wont be a problem for you. 5 lbs of muscle is already a LOT actually. He average gym-goer is lucky to gain that in a YEAR, and yet I gained almost triple that in 7 months without supps (stopped taking whey the same time I started IF) and I'm still going to grow.

------------------

Anyway, if you don't wanna read through all this, here's some notes.

1) Mass without the fat. Try intermittent fasting. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I back skipping breakfast then feasting at dinner time.

2) JUST EAT REAL FOODS. Stick to your animal meats, fruits, vegetables, and natural fats. Grains can actually leech nutrition form your body, so wheat, corn, etc are out of the picture. Rice still has a good rap though and so far is one of the safer carb choices (especially if you're Asian). No sugar,pastries, breads, etc.

3) Eat good fats, and make damn sure they're good. It still surprises me to see how people are taking the wrong damn oils. Pauk had a good post going until I saw canola oil, sunflower oil, tofu/soybean products in the good fats list and COCONUT OIL in the BAD FATS LIST. Seriously, if you want to get healthy, it's the other ****ing way around. Coconut Oils, from a good source, are full of Saturated and Mono-Chain Triglycerides that support healthy hormone production and also are a source of quick energy. Coconut Oils, Olive Oils (though don't cook with them), and Nut Oils should be your go-to sources.

4) Train in a variety of rep ranges. Every rep range has its place, but for the most part, stick with heavier weights. If you want to gain muscle, Time Under Tension is the name of the game, but whoever "Gets a pump with a heavy weight," due to the amount of force needed to move the weight, the time under that tension, and the blood flow to the muscle, will gain the most muscle in limited time.

5) Use heavy, compound lifts to support muscle growth, hormone production, and overall manliness. BUT, if you want bigger guns, don't be afraid to throw in curls and other pressing movements for the triceps (if you'll still be able to move them after the compound lifts. Hahaha!)

6) Train hard, recover harder. Sleep. Eat. Desires. Is important that aside from the physical and neurological load weight training has on the body, make sure that there are no emotional stresses at hat act upon it. Your nervous system will be hard-pressed trying heal torn muscles and a broken heart.

7) Keep learning. Whatever got you here may not get you there. Tough it's a good stepping stone, don't be afraid to try new things. If they don't work though, at least you know what to get back to.

Honestly, judging by some of your posts that I've seen, I didn't really wanna answer, but oh we'll, good deeds know no discrimination. Hope this helped, man.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Thanks for the info. Something different, I'll do some more reading into it. Glad you've got results.

Also out of interest, are you a Laker fan?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #22
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
Thanks for the info. Something different, I'll do some more reading into it. Glad you've got results.

Also out of interest, are you a Laker fan?

Heaven forbid! I had a burning hate for Kobe back when I was a kid, and it evolved into respect now, but yeah, not a fan, man. Hahaha

Anyway, if you wanna do some further reading on IF, try The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler (there are some PDF versions floating around), and some stuff by Jon Ferruggia (he has a free PDF if you subscribe to him that will actually really help you out. He recently updated it too to fit in his new view on IF and muscle building). Keep on keepin' on.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #23
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Ofcourse, fast food, sugar, salt, coca cola and so on... i think most (and probably even you deep down inside) know perfectly well what is not so healthy for you

Some fat is actually extremly healthy for you though:

GOOD FATS

Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, also extremly powerful in protein!) Watch out for mercury and farm-raised salmon. Go wild.
Peanuts, Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews (all also extremly powerful in protein!) Peanuts are arguable.. Walnuts and almonds and pistachios are the best of the best.
Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds (Absof*cking lutely. These things have minerals too)
Flaxseed
Olives
Tofu (Linked to estrogen...)
Olive oil (Don't heat it up..rancidity. Have evoo cold)
Soybean oil (NO.
Corn oil NO
Safflower oil NO
Canola oil NO
Sunflower oil NO
Peanut oil Ehhh..
Sesame oil Ehh.
Avocados (YES)
OMEGA-3 (supplement, awesome thing for your heart & brain)

BAD FATS

High-fat cuts of meat from beef, lamb, pork (Not necessarily.)
Chicken skin
Whole-fat dairy products (Nope. Go on.)
Butter (Kerrygold's Grass-Fed butter is an awesom eimplement to any diet)
Cheese (Not necessarily)
Ice cream
Palm and coconut oil (These are the BEST OILS)
Lard (Feel free to cook in this)
Cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza, hamburgers etc.
Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)
Stick margarine
Vegetable shortening
Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)
Candy bars

BUT............ again, with your weight at that height, i wouldnt worry to much, you need weight...

Eat healthy and ALOT... or... Eat anything... or both... :P

Fixed.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #24
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Fixed.

J$ hath spoken.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Heaven forbid! I had a burning hate for Kobe back when I was a kid, and it evolved into respect now, but yeah, not a fan, man. Hahaha

Anyway, if you wanna do some further reading on IF, try The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler (there are some PDF versions floating around), and some stuff by Jon Ferruggia (he has a free PDF if you subscribe to him that will actually really help you out. He recently updated it too to fit in his new view on IF and muscle building). Keep on keepin' on.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #26
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Let me just start off by saying that through my experiences, anyone who says its impossible to gain muscle and lose fat is wrong. Over the last 7 months, I've gone from 158 lbs (we're roughly the same height) to 172 lbs while maintaining, if not increasing my leanness.

Seriously no offense intended, but you've essentially put on your beginner's gains. You can put on 20 lbs of muscle in your first couple months of lifting, then spend the next year trying to add the next 10. Once you're out of the beginner's stage it is virtually impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Seriously no offense intended, but you've essentially put on your beginner's gains. You can put on 20 lbs of muscle in your first couple months of lifting, then spend the next year trying to add the next 10. Once you're out of the beginner's stage it is virtually impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Beginner gains? I firmly believe I'm past that point. I've been lifting for 3 years now and had my first newbie gains of 24 pounds in 2 years, but at the same time got fat downing my 1,200 calorie protein shake after sessions. Then I stalled and gained NOTHING but muscle loss over the next year before venturing into IF. Just cause its a gain of double digits in less than a year, it doesn't mean I'm on "newbie gains," brosef.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Eat foods that are high on protein. That's all i'm saying. DRINK PROTEIN SHAKE AFTER YOU WORKOUT.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: