Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Default Re: So all of a sudden we are headed toward "Global Cooling" now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
you said that liberals are ignoring the world population growth as a factor, which isnt the case.

like i said, (and you happily ignored) there are ethical issues at hand.

we as developed nations dont really have the right to tell developing countries how to develop, considering how destructive we were/are in developing.

So America has no right to tell Somalia what to do. What right does one American have to tell the other what to do?

If you (anyone) are going to COMPLAIN about graphs and data and what "we're" doing to the environment, you sure as hell better be ready to tell other countries what to do if thats whats necessary to stop it. Otherwise what are you complaining for? Attention?
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
the graph shows an upward trend over the 80s and 90s that leveled off and is now heading downward

just like many of the "scientists" in those articles claim...

many of them are saying we will be "cooling" for the 20 or so years...which is a lot different than Nash having one bad game

scale is another issue here, if you take a step back the trend is still going up

as far as i could tell, all of those articles stemmed from that one awful mail one, which was hugely misleading. in that it compared this year, only to last year, which was the lowest ever recorded.

the washington post article referred to antarctica having record ice sheets, despite rising temperatures, and described the very complex systems that could make this occur. which frankly is way over my head.

were there any other articles that actually refered to global temperatures rising?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
So America has no right to tell Somalia what to do. What right does one American have to tell the other what to do?

we all reaped the benefits of development, and are living very comfortably, and could continue to do so while redcing our environmental impact.

the same cant be said for developing countries, who still have to worry about poverty far more than any developing nations do.

Quote:
If you (anyone) are going to COMPLAIN about graphs and data and what "we're" doing to the environment, you sure as hell better be ready to tell other countries what to do if thats whats necessary to stop it. Otherwise what are you complaining for? Attention?

when was i complaining? i just pointed out that you left out the huge ethical issue at play here.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
we all reaped the benefits of development, and are living very comfortably, and could continue to do so while redcing our environmental impact.

the same cant be said for developing countries, who still have to worry about poverty far more than any developing nations do.

when was i complaining? i just pointed out that you left out the huge ethical issue at play here.

Ok, so yes we got there first. Thats part of life. Everything isnt equal.

Let me ask you this. If we could hypothetically forecast that continued development and population growth around the globe was SURE to create devastating environmental impacts, for us and for everyone else... What would you do? (Meaning would you support us intervening or not?)
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Nick Young
Banned

scientists don't know shit. Everything they are spitting as gospel truth now is going to be proven completely wrong 20 years from now.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
Let me ask you this. If we could hypothetically forecast that continued development and population growth around the globe was SURE to create devastating environmental impacts, for us and for everyone else... What would you do? (Meaning would you support us intervening or not?)

i honestly dont know

its very difficult (its probably impossible) to quantify degradation of the environment vs raising the living standards of a big chunk of the world

if push comes to shove, id tend to not support intervening
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
This is sort of unrelated but, why the f*ck are global warming detractors so obstinate? Even if global warming doesn't exist, is it really a big deal to slightly change habits to be less harmful to the environment?

Many people don't believe in global warming, whatever... But why are tons of them so opposed to buying a more efficient car or looking into different heating/energy options? It's like they're defying it so hard for no gain.
Because it would hurt the US's global competitiveness at a time when China and India are building multiple new coal plants each week. The same people moaning about poverty incessantly, and wanting the government to do something about it, are also demanding the government do something that push up everyone's standard of living, and restrain growth. But don't worry, they don't see their contradictions, because they have begun to think of the government as a vast cash cow which has endless streams of money and can solve everyone's problems easily.

Many of the predictions made by climate scientists have turned out to be buncombe, and yet the self-righteous who continue to believe the inconclusive, go around denouncing everyone who doesn't instantly accept their dogmatic beliefs as 'deniers' as if that has somehow won the argument and shown their opponent to be a kind of depraved conspiracy theorist. This kind of behaviour is not far off the individuals who proclaim anyone who doesn't think 9/11 was an inside job as a denier. The scientific community has always been pretty divided on the issue; but climate change advocates dismiss this by saying any scientist who disagrees with their beliefs does so to pursue his own self-interest, while not believing that could be the case with the scientists who support their opinion.

This is a double standard is it not?

I have seen enough politically motivated science by the socially concerned in recent years to be extremely skeptical. Not that ordinary Americans couldn't reduce their emissions without much trouble, but that needs to be done on an individual level, not a national one. The amount of morons driving around American cities in huge 4x4's is obscene and completely unnecessary.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
scale is another issue here, if you take a step back the trend is still going up

as far as i could tell, all of those articles stemmed from that one awful mail one, which was hugely misleading. in that it compared this year, only to last year, which was the lowest ever recorded.

the washington post article referred to antarctica having record ice sheets, despite rising temperatures, and described the very complex systems that could make this occur. which frankly is way over my head.

were there any other articles that actually refered to global temperatures rising?
this graph looks the same to me?...temp went up in 80s and 90s and has since leveled off, now trending down

there are DOZENS of write ups on this out...

AS ARCTIC ICE REBOUNDS, TOP SCIENTISTS PREDICT PERIOD OF GLOBAL COOLING

^^^ that is on "The Global Warming Policy Foundation"...a web site dedicated to global "WARMING"...even they are now suggesting we may be headed toward a long cool down

Quote:
A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year an increase of 60 per cent. Some eminent scientists now believe the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century a process that would expose computer forecasts of imminent catastrophic warming as dangerously misleading.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:

lol, look at the standard deviation on everything before around 1950.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
chips93
Very good NBA starter

[quote=-p.tiddy-]this graph looks the same to me?...temp went up in 80s and 90s and has since leveled off, now trending down

look back over the whole graph, there are several points where it levels off, but then aterwards, continues on again upwards.

this is the exact same point that the mail article makes. arctic ice down from last year, but ignores the overall trend.

Quote:
^^^ that is on "The Global Warming Policy Foundation"...a web site dedicated to global "WARMING"...even they are now suggesting we may be headed toward a long cool down

after spending about a minute reading their site they sound very skeptical of global warming.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
after spending about a minute reading their site they sound very skeptical of global warming.
http://www.thegwpf.org/who-we-are/

yeah, that was my point...NOW they sound "skeptical"....the "Global Warming Policy Foundation" lol

just do some reading...this is NOT a case of ONE biased article going around...there are a lot of people and so called scientists saying we are headed toward a cooling period, and saying that is the "trend" too

HERE, JUST LOOK AROUND
Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

hey guise, have you heard all this new talk about how evolution is a hoax? i have been reading up on how evolution is a hoax and there are lots of convincing articles. look at all the results that come up when you google "evolution hoax", seems like everybody is talking about how evolution is a hoax right now.

so whats going on i guess the evolution skeptics won?

HERE JUST LOOK AROUND
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
http://www.thegwpf.org/who-we-are/

yeah, that was my point...NOW they sound "skeptical"....the "Global Warming Policy Foundation" lol

just do some reading...this is NOT a case of ONE biased article going around...there are a lot of people and so called scientists saying we are headed toward a cooling period, and saying that is the "trend" too

HERE, JUST LOOK AROUND

any reputable news sites?

or any reputable scientists?

or any reputable publications/scientific papers?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
hey guise, have you heard all this new talk about how evolution is a hoax? look at all the results that come up when you google "evolution hoax", seems like everybody is talking about how evolution is a hoax right now.

so whats going on i guess the evolution skeptics won?

HERE JUST LOOK AROUND
fair point but it's not the same...there aren't actual scientists now claiming evolution is a hoax...those are all garbage articles obviously, the ones are unbiased as far as I can tell, and have plenty of support
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #30
niko
I Run NY.

Isn't it not warming, but a change in climate further away from what would be considered "normal?"
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: