Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Do you agree with this NBA Top 15 All-Time?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    The guy has Bill Russell at #96, thinks Chris Paul is the best PG of all time, and that LeBron James is the 2nd best player of all time. I would never trust his judgement.

THAT was the guy! Anyone that has Russell ranked 96th should automatically be disqualified in these opinion polls.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justin43
    Oscar doesn't belong in the top 10 for the following reasons:

1. Oscar never won as the man. Despite his stats, he was the third option when he won a championship.
    He was playing against the Sixers and Celtics and none of the teams he had could **** with them(although he did beat Wilt in the playoffs). As far as third option...lmao, he sacrificed his offense and led the Bucks to multiple 60 win seasons, when he left they only won 38 games. Also in closeout game he scored 30 points to lead Milwaukee.

2. Oscar didn't have much team success in his career compared to others who legimately belong in the top 10.
    Because the league was much deeper as far as talent on one team, its unfortunate that his was less superior then the Celtics and Sixers at that time

3. Everyone else who is in the top 10 has won at least 2 rings as the man on the team. If Oscar is even put in a 10a/10b situation in the top 10 all-time, he would be the only one on the list who hasn't accomplish this feat.
    Yes they have won more rings, yet none of them have avg a triple double for a season, nor did any of them do this type of shit.His first five seasons are strung together, Robertson averaged a triple-double over these 400+ games, averaging an incredible 30.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 10.6 assists.

Be objective. Don't let your hate for certain players cloud your judgement.
    Jerry West said he was the best player he played against. Red Auerbach summed up Robertson: "He's so great he scares me. He can beat you all by himself and usually does."

I am not hating on Oscar, but these are the simple facts. Stats alone, especially after adjustment, won't get you into the top 10. Oscar is in the upper part of the top 15.
    Easily top ten in my opinion, in 2003 Slam Magazine did a ranking of players, he was #3 all time as of 2009 they have him ranked #5

As for the other side:

Kobe has no case for top 5 yet. Put him there is . . .
    Said Barry: “People just don’t have any idea how good Oscar was. They don’t understand. The numbers are ridiculous. If there’s anybody in the game of basketball who has been overlooked in terms of his greatness, it’s been Oscar. No doubt about it.

“In his case, numbers don’t lie. If you’re getting 30 points or 20-something points and getting double-figures in rebounds as a point guard and 10 assists a game, that’s sick. For 82 games.

"He was unbelievable and somebody should do a movie about this guy. He is the greatest athlete in the history of sports in this country who has been overlooked. Look at LeBron (James) and his numbers. But they pale in comparison to what Oscar did for so many seasons

Jabbar: "I was very aware of Oscar's overall excellence," Abdul-Jabbar said, remembering the trade that brought Robertson to Milwaukee from Cincinnati. "I just didn't know how he'd fit in with our team. I should have known better. There was nothing to be apprehensive about. He was a great overall player and a great leader. He pushed us. He'd get on our case if we didn't do our assignments. Having that kind of leadership is a key element to any team."

"I think Oscar was really special because of his ability to do so many different aspects of the game well," Abdul-Jabbar said. "There are very few people who have the ability to score, set people up to score, rebound and defend. He was a complete player."
    Last edited by Calabis; 08-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    The guy has Bill Russell at #96, thinks Chris Paul is the best PG of all time, and that LeBron James is the 2nd best player of all time. I would never trust his judgement.
    That's where you get when you base your judgment on PER.
    Russell 96th. Yeah, maybe in 2000-3000 years from now there will have existed around 95 players to exceed his legacy.

Paul over Magic because Magic was not a 3-point shooter? I bet Paul would easily trade this for Magic's rings. And I guess that, going by that, Kobe Bryant must be greater than Jordan because of the same reason (after all, 3-pointers are more important in the SG position).

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    That's where you get when you base your judgment on PER.
    Russell 96th. Yeah, maybe in 2000-3000 years from now there will have existed around 95 players to exceed his legacy.

Paul over Magic because Magic was not a 3-point shooter? I bet Paul would easily trade this for Magic's rings. And I guess that, going by that, Kobe Bryant must be greater than Jordan because of the same reason (after all, 3-pointers are more important in the SG position).
    While I don't agree, it's unfair to pass judgement on Paul when he didn't have the luxury of playing along side arguably the 2nd greatest player of all-time. Who knows where we'd rank Paul if he played alongside Kareem/Cooper/Worthy etc...Individually, he's playing right up there with all-time greats at the position.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    While I don't agree, it's unfair to pass judgement on Paul when he didn't have the luxury of playing along side arguably the 2nd greatest player of all-time. Who knows where we'd rank Paul if he played alongside Kareem/Cooper/Worthy etc...Individually, he's playing right up there with all-time greats at the position.
    I'm sorry to disagree with you then. I have posted the records before, but they bear worth repeating. LA, with Kareem, and BEFORE Magic...47-35. WITH Magic, an IMMEDIATE title, thanks in large part to Magic's game six (withOUT Kareem BTW) in the Finals, in which he put up a 42-15 game. During Magic's tenure, the Lakers AVERAGED 59 wins per season in his 12 years. They went to NINE Finals, and won FIVE titles (and a play, here-or-there, or had Magic or Worthy not been injured...and they could have won EIGHT.) Furthermore, after YOUR GOAT #2 retired, Magic led LA to an even better record the next season (from 57-25 to 63-19), and a year after that (basically Magic's last), LA went to the Finals. Then, AFTER Magic retired, the Lakers fell to 43-39...or about what they were BEFORE he arrived.

Magic had some HUGE post-seasons and Finals, as well. There is simply NO comparison between Paul and Magic. Magic has a case for an all-time GOAT. Paul may NEVER even be considered a top-20 player.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I'm sorry to disagree with you then. I have posted the records before, but they bear worth repeating. LA, with Kareem, and BEFORE Magic...47-35. WITH Magic, an IMMEDIATE title, thanks in large part to Magic's game six (withOUT Kareem BTW) in the Finals, in which he put up a 42-15 game. During Magic's tenure, the Lakers AVERAGED 59 wins per season in his 12 years. They went to NINE Finals, and won FIVE titles (and a play, here-or-there, or had Magic or Worthy not been injured...and they could have won EIGHT.) Furthermore, after YOUR GOAT #2 retired, Magic led LA to an even better record the next season (from 57-25 to 63-19), and a year after that (basically Magic's last), LA went to the Finals. Then, AFTER Magic retired, the Lakers fell to 43-39...or about what they were BEFORE he arrived.

Magic had some HUGE post-seasons and Finals, as well. There is simply NO comparison between Paul and Magic. Magic has a case for an all-time GOAT. Paul may NEVER even be considered a top-20 player.
    No one is denying that Magic wasn't an extremely valuable asset to that team. I didn't mean for my post to take away from his accomplishments if that's how you took it; what I was trying to say is that, we tend to rate players based on how their teams plays. If we are going to do that, we need to take an in-depth look at their respective teams in addition to whatever else we may normally look at. I don't think you, or anyone would disagree that Magic had a better team than Chris Paul for his career; in fact, there's a huge separation in talent between the two teams.

In any event, didn't Kareem play extremely well prior to Magic having that incredible game 6?

I think a better comparison between the two players would be to discuss each of them individually, including playoff performances, rather than using rings. All incorporated, this is why Magic is better.
    Last edited by Simple Jack; 08-03-2010 at 09:36 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    No one is denying that Magic wasn't an extremely valuable asset to that team. I didn't mean for my post to take away from his accomplishments if that's how you took it; what I was trying to say is that, we tend to rate players based on how their teams plays. If we are going to do that, we need to take an in-depth look at their respective teams in addition to whatever else we may normally look at. I don't think you, or anyone would disagree that Magic had a better team than Chris Paul for his career; in fact, there's a huge separation in talent between the two teams.

In any event, didn't Kareem play extremely well prior to Magic having that incredible game 6?

I think a better comparison between the two players would be to discuss each of them individually, including playoff performances, rather than using rings. All incorporated, this is why Magic is better.
    Sorry for my response. I have just been reading so many threads and posts here which try to diminish Magic's career.

Obviously, Magic played with superior personnel. But, he also played in a decade that was arguably the most talented in NBA history. In any case, Paul is certainly a great PG. I would have loved to have seen him go to Orlando and be paired up with Howard. I think those two could have given "Team Diva" a run for their money.