Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Monroe free agency situation

Remember how just the other month we were talking about the Ben Gordon deal being the worst all-time for the Pistons because of the domino effect (draft picks lost etc)... Well... In 10 years time when we look back, I think the domino effects of the Smith deal might just trump the Gordon one...

NBA lottery pick

Joe D really did finish up horribly here. When he had money to spend over the past 6-7 years he did a horrible job of it.

^^ Couldn't agree more,

Iggy would have fitted our team so much better than Smith, a true defensive SF with an unselfish game, and a better deep shooter than Smith (not good, but still better than smith at 1.2 makes at 36% over his past 3 seasons)...

The best thing about Joe signing Iggy over Smith is that we would not even be having this messy situation with Moose, he would have been signed a long time ago and Pistons moving forward with the twin towers....

NBA lottery pick

I wasn't big on giving Iguodala a big contract either though. He's a hybrid SG/SF. He's not really a true SF. He would have needed a ton of money to come here. I doubt he even would have at that. Golden State is a much better opportunity right now for someone. Iggy would have been a much better fit though. I would have been happy if we could have just drafted a guy like McDermott this year. Now he's in our conference on a contending team.... That trade worked out great for us.....

Yeah the more of McDermott I watched, especially through summer league, he was the clear cut choice for us if we had that lottery pick I think. Seems to be an elite level shooter even at this level, and definitely a floor stretcher / spacer... And I also think he is a pretty good / determined /good locker room presence kind of dude...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    You'd rather have him walk for nothing?
    Its not about what I prefer, but I might be wrong. He has trade veto power for the whole year if he signs the QO though. If the right team offers a trade that we like and Monroe is willing to sign there long term, we might get a little something like a late first.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    ^^ Couldn't agree more,

Iggy would have fitted our team so much better than Smith, a true defensive SF with an unselfish game, and a better deep shooter than Smith (not good, but still better than smith at 1.2 makes at 36% over his past 3 seasons)...

The best thing about Joe signing Iggy over Smith is that we would not even be having this messy situation with Moose, he would have been signed a long time ago and Pistons moving forward with the twin towers....
    He wasn't coming here over GS though.

I doubt Smith is looked at as worse than Gordon. I think Smith can still play and I wouldn't be surprised if SVG gets the most out of him, especially without Monroe in the way.

Losing Monroe rather than paying him a ton might be looked at as the pragmatic move to make in the end. Ideally we get some value in return though.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Yeah the more of McDermott I watched, especially through summer league, he was the clear cut choice for us if we had that lottery pick I think. Seems to be an elite level shooter even at this level, and definitely a floor stretcher / spacer... And I also think he is a pretty good / determined /good locker room presence kind of dude...
    Adding Dougie would have been awesome. Perfect fit.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Losing Monroe rather than paying him a ton might be looked at as the pragmatic move to make in the end. Ideally we get some value in return though.
    I think we could have got more value in return had we given him a long term contract around 50-60 million dollars. Then we could have traded him for a very good player. Now we might get a draft pick if we're lucky.

NBA lottery pick

Its not about what I prefer, but I might be wrong. He has trade veto power for the whole year if he signs the QO though. If the right team offers a trade that we like and Monroe is willing to sign there long term, we might get a little something like a late first.
    True, I think for him to get a true max deal it would have to be a sign and trade though. Not sure what we would get for that. I guess it depends on how much space the team he wants to go to has or needs to make.

Decent college freshman

I think we could have got more value in return had we given him a long term contract around 50-60 million dollars. Then we could have traded him for a very good player. Now we might get a draft pick if we're lucky.
    Maybe, but its more likely you would have been dumping him for cap space and a draft pick in that situation too.

Decent college freshman

True, I think for him to get a true max deal it would have to be a sign and trade though. Not sure what we would get for that. I guess it depends on how much space the team he wants to go to has or needs to make.
    Bledsoe for Monroe makes more sense than I originally thought. I'd love to take that gamble personally.

NBA lottery pick

Bledsoe for Monroe makes more sense than I originally thought. I'd love to take that gamble personally.
    Yeah it does sound like a much better deal now. I'm not sure what we would do with Jennings then though.

If we were fortunate enough to turn Monroe into Bledsoe, I would literally trade Jennings away for next to nothing... Maybe include Jennings into the Suns deal as they were pretty hot on having 3 starter level PG's to rotate through their back court...

Dre / Gray
    Smith / Jerebko
    Butler / Singler
    KCP / Meeks (other way around to start the season perhaps)
    Bledsoe / Augustin (Whilst developing Dinwiddie at this position)

This is a team I could get behind quite easily - A little weak in the frontcourt off the bench, but other than that a great athletic young team with plenty of defense and shooting...

Monroe has until Oct. 1 to sign the deal and would essentially flip the tables on the Pistons. He would then have the right to veto any trade but would sacrifice his Bird rights in the process, making it more unlikely that he will move on before next summer. If a player wasn