Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Default Which do you consider worse?

Last edited by Marchesk : 10-17-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Gus Hemmingway
Banned

Default Re: Which do you consider worse?

The Cousy one

I remember watching my teachers basketball game back in the 5th grade.

It was full of unathletic 50 year olds. It looked something like that.
Gus Hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
scuzzy
Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Hemmingway
The Cousy one

I remember watching my teachers basketball game back in the 5th grade.

It was full of unathletic 50 year olds. It looked something like that.

Was about to say the same

Notice how Cousy is all hunched over dribbling while staring at the ball?

All 50-70's players had to because dribbling with your head up eyes forward wasn't a thing back then

They had to crouch real low and stare at the ball just to keep it infront of them
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Doranku
NBA All-star

Easily the Cousy one. What is the guy coming to double team even doing? I've seen more coordination from dude's at the gym who only play pick-up ball to get their cardio in.

Just look at the way he shambles to the side while his noodle arms just aimlessly flail around. I'm actually in tears right now
Doranku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
TiagoSimoes
Gotta love the L's

Cousy one, by far. Thats just a perfect example of uncoordinated human beings. 50/60s basketball is just awful, it only started getting decent in the 70/80s
TiagoSimoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

All you guys trashing the Cousy one

That was Iverson handles for the time, and I don't need to remind you how silly he made even great defenders look in the 90s and early 00s.

The worst is Deron Williams. That guy couldn't even make himself significant on a Finals team off the bench
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Wally450
Easy Work

The Pierce one was bad. Joe Johnson had Paul looking stupid. Also, the Deron Williams one he tripped over his teammates foot.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
PeroAntic
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally450
The Pierce one was bad. Joe Johnson had Paul looking stupid. Also, the Deron Williams one he tripped over his teammates foot.
Joe Cool doesn't care whose ankle he breaks, opponent or teammate
PeroAntic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiagoSimoes
Cousy one, by far. Thats just a perfect example of uncoordinated human beings. 50/60s basketball is just awful, it only started getting decent in the 70/80s

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
TiagoSimoes
Gotta love the L's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk

Im not saying everyone sucked, just that in general the players were MUCH worse skill wise and athletically. Its normal, evolution and increase of competitiveness making the average athlete better.

There were obviously some great players back then, that would be good in any era(considering they would get different training etc), but its undisputed that the level was much worse.

Cousy was considered a magician in his time, and rightfully so. But if you compare his skill to today's game, that dribbling level is worlds apart from the nba level ballhandlers
Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Iso joe
HylianNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Cousy was considered a magician in his time, and rightfully so. But if you compare his skill to today's game, that dribbling level is worlds apart from the nba level ballhandlers

Yes and no. The dribbling rules were much stricter. You had to keep your hand on top of the ball. So Cousy wouldn't be allowed to do the things you can do today with the ball.

Quote:
There were obviously some great players back then, that would be good in any era(considering they would get different training etc), but its undisputed that the level was much worse.

I accept that in general, but what people tend to overlook is that rules and equipment change as well. So for example, when you look at Usain Bolt's times versus Jesse Owens, you would think that Owens wouldn't be an Olympic athlete today.

But Owens ran on dirt tracks without starting blocks in shoes made in the 1940s. That makes a big difference.

So yeah, the athleticism and skill level goes up over time on average, but other things have an impact. Take the passing rules and style of offenses in the NFL today. That's why all sorts of passing records are broken, and you see lots of receivers putting up numbers only someone like Jerry Rice would have in the 80s.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #13
TiagoSimoes
Gotta love the L's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
Yes and no. The dribbling rules were much stricter. You had to keep your hand on top of the ball. So Cousy wouldn't be allowed to do the things you can do today with the ball.

I accept that in general, but what people tend to overlook is that rules and equipment change as well. So for example, when you look at Usain Bolt's times versus Jesse Owens, you would think that Owens wouldn't be an Olympic athlete today.

But Owens ran on dirt tracks without starting blocks in shoes made in the 1940s. That makes a big difference.

So yeah, the athleticism and skill level goes up over time on average, but other things have an impact. Take the passing rules and style of offenses in the NFL today. That's why all sorts of passing records are broken, and you see lots of receivers putting up numbers only someone like Jerry Rice would have in the 80s.

Yes you have a point regarding rules, it definitely affects. But you can obviously spot the evolution on skill and athletism in pretty much any sport during the last 50/60 years.

Your Owens example is similar to nba players like Wilt, Russel, Oscar, etc. They obviously stood out alot in their eras, and i have no doubt that with modern training they would also be great. Guys like those are outliers
Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
MrFonzworth
Love Me Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
All you guys trashing the Cousy one

That was Iverson handles for the time, and I don't need to remind you how silly he made even great defenders look in the 90s and early 00s.

The worst is Deron Williams. That guy couldn't even make himself significant on a Finals team off the bench
Yeah, that's kind of why everyone's trashing it there smart guy.
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: