Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #31
Ainosterhaspie
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 238
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Jordan 0 playoff games won against 65+ win teams. LeBron 10 playoff games and one series won against 65+ win teams.
Ainosterhaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #32
Manny98
College star
 
Manny98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4,146
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie
Jordan 0 playoff games won against 65+ win teams. LeBron 10 playoff games and one series won against 65+ win teams.
i thought MJ would've had at least one his competition was really that weak.
Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #33
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,834
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
All I see is 6/6 >>>>>>> 3/8, OP.

You reachin, son.

Of course that's all you see. Because you're not bright enough to come up with any other conclusions
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #34
SamuraiSWISH
For the Culture
 
SamuraiSWISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11,865
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

MJ is both better and greater than LeBron, clearly
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 AM   #35
3ball
NBA Legend
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 16,466
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie

Jordan 0 playoff games won against 65+ win teams. LeBron 10 playoff games and one series won against 65+ win teams

.
Firstly, lebron only beat those teams when he teamed up with 2 other all-nba stars.. Otoh, jordan faced those teams when he had lottery rosters.. Pretty big difference

Secondly, ur splitting hairs

MJ won 4 Finals against 60-win teams.. Lebron only won 1 Finals against a 60+ win team

MJ also beat twice as many 50+ win teams in the East playoffs than Lebron

Clearly, most ways that you splice the numbers, mj wins

So never forget that Lebron got a ton of chances to win Finals because of the team-hopping and easy path in the East - naturally, anyone will win if they get enough tries, and lebron finally caught the right breaks to get a Finals win against a 60+ win team in 2016... But the GOAT already had 4 wins against 60-win Finals teams
.

Last edited by 3ball : 02-27-2018 at 02:24 AM.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:10 AM   #36
sportjames23
GOAT
 
sportjames23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,030
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Of course that's all you see. Because you're not bright enough to come up with any other conclusions

Oh, look, my bitchass stalker.

Hi, bitch. How you doin?
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #37
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18,182
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

OP should make a thread when he actually understands basketball and not just recycled and debunked talking points.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #38
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,834
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
Oh, look, my bitchass stalker.

Hi, bitch. How you doin?

Speaking of bitcches, didn't you lose a bet?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
sportjames23
GOAT
 
sportjames23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,030
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Speaking of bitcches, didn't you lose a bet?

Nope. Who did I bet with? You have to wager with a person or person, with repercussions for both sides, to have a bet.

Have a nice day, bitchboy.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #40
sportjames23
GOAT
 
sportjames23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,030
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie
Jordan 0 playoff games won against 65+ win teams. LeBron 10 playoff games and one series won against 65+ win teams.

Jordan with no Finals MVP losses to inferior players. Lebron with 5.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #41
Ainosterhaspie
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 238
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

@3Ball. LeBron has faced four teams in the playoffs that had at least 66 wins. He only won one of those series. Each of the three teams he lost to became the champions. No team those champions faced managed more wins against those champions than LeBron. Two of the times he faced those teams he did not have elite support for those wins. In fact half of his 10 wins against 66+ win teams came without another all star playing with him. That's three against the Celtics in 2008 and two against the Warriors in 2015 when both Irving and Love were out injured for the entirety of the games won.

Jordan's best argument over LeBron is the three extra titles. Three times 66+ win teams have beaten LeBron and won the titles. Jordan never went through a team like that to get a title. He only faced such a team once and got swept. LeBron has never been swept by such a team even with lousy supporting casts. It's not a big stretch to think that if LeBron wasn't facing teams that good, he'd have more titles, or that if Jordan was facing teams that good he'd have less. The title gap between them is substantially due to LeBron facing higher quality teams than Jordan ever had to beat to win a title.


Also, once again, no, players don't eventually win if they have enough chances. That's patently false. Or should I just dismiss Jordan beating the Pistons once in four tries as just the inevitable result of lots of tries.
Ainosterhaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #42
3ball
NBA Legend
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 16,466
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie
@3Ball. LeBron has faced four teams in the playoffs that had at least 66 wins. He only won one of those series. Each of the three teams he lost to became the champions. No team those champions faced managed more wins against those champions than LeBron. Two of the times he faced those teams he did not have elite support for those wins. In fact half of his 10 wins against 66+ win teams came without another all star playing with him. That's three against the Celtics in 2008 and two against the Warriors in 2015 when both Irving and Love were out injured for the entirety of the games won.

Jordan's best argument over LeBron is the three extra titles. Three times 66+ win teams have beaten LeBron and won the titles. Jordan never went through a team like that to get a title. He only faced such a team once and got swept. LeBron has never been swept by such a team even with lousy supporting casts. It's not a big stretch to think that if LeBron wasn't facing teams that good, he'd have more titles, or that if Jordan was facing teams that good he'd have less. The title gap between them is substantially due to LeBron facing higher quality teams than Jordan ever had to beat to win a title.


Also, once again, no, players don't eventually win if they have enough chances. That's patently false. Or should I just dismiss Jordan beating the Pistons once in four tries as just the inevitable result of lots of tries.
Your argument relies on the idea that a team who wins 1 more regular season game is always better - so a 65-win team is always better than a 64 win team

Which is ridiculous..

Again, Jordan beat four Finals teams that won 60 games - the fact that the sonics and suns won 63 games instead of 66 is meaningless.. Otoh, lebron lost to dwight's 59 win team, dirk's 57-win team, and boston's 50-win team in 2010.. He also lost to the spurs' 62 win team in 2014 ( remember, jordan BEAT four 60-win Finals teams)

So your argument is moot.. Jordan beat more teams with good records, whether its 50 wins or 60 wins.. This evidence, which reflects the totality of his career, presents a stronger argument than lebron's one-off against a 70 win team, and the notion that a 66 win team is materially different from a 64 win team

Bro, and against the celtics in 08', he averaged 25 ppg on 35% - a horrific performance and worse than any series jordan ever had
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #43
Ainosterhaspie
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 238
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

A two win difference when you are talking about going from 64 to 66 wins represents a significantly larger gap than a two win difference between 40 to 42 wins. LeBron has faced much more truly elite teams than Jordan overcame during his title runs. It's the equivalent of going up against the best Showtime Lakers teams or Bird's Celtics teams. LeBron has had to do that four times, not just once like Jordan. Again when the difference in number of titles is the same as the difference the number of times they faced 66+ win teams, that title gap looks less impressive, especially when LeBron was winning games against those teams with no high level talent to help him.
Ainosterhaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 AM   #44
guy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,243
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie
A two win difference when you are talking about going from 64 to 66 wins represents a significantly larger gap than a two win difference between 40 to 42 wins. LeBron has faced much more truly elite teams than Jordan overcame during his title runs. It's the equivalent of going up against the best Showtime Lakers teams or Bird's Celtics teams. LeBron has had to do that four times, not just once like Jordan. Again when the difference in number of titles is the same as the difference the number of times they faced 66+ win teams, that title gap looks less impressive, especially when LeBron was winning games against those teams with no high level talent to help him.

In regards to the bolded, its inarguably and literally the opposite, mathematically speaking.

This random cutoff of 66 wins makes no sense. As he said, there is not much of a difference between 66 and 64 wins, especially when you're talking about eras that are 20 years apart and especially when teams have increasingly cared less and less about the regular season as the years have gone by.

No high level talent? Again, Lebron always needs more help. The guy has played with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, and Kyrie Irving all in basically their primes or close to it. His supporting casts have really only been "out-talented" in 2007, 2015, and 2017 in the Finals. The fact is Lebron only plays one way, and thats Lebron-ball, which really isn't an elite offensive system to play in, which makes many of his teammates look worse then they are and his competition look better. Not to mention, for half his career he's held his teams hostage with the threat of leaving, which I'm sure creates an atmosphere of uncertainty and a disrespectful feeling towards some of his teammates by basically saying that they aren't good enough i.e. see Kyrie Irving. Oh yea, there's also the fact that he's choked a title away, maybe you can argue even more then 1. Don't get me wrong, doesn't mean his way of doing things doesn't work, cause he's won 3 titles doing it that way, but it's probably not as ideal as the approaches from other superstars and that title gap probably has very little, if anything, to do with level of help or level of competition.

Last edited by guy : 02-28-2018 at 12:45 AM.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #45
Ainosterhaspie
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 238
Default Re: The reason why LeBron is greater than Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
In regards to the bolded, its inarguably and literally the opposite, mathematically speaking.

So it's as easy for a team to go from 64 to 66 wins as it is to go from 40 to 42? That's what you think? Why do so few teams jump that gap then? In terms of standings, yes two wins is two wins no matter what, but in terms of how hard it is to get it done, it's a whole different story.
Ainosterhaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy