Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,857
Default RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Former middle weight best known for being wrongfully convicted dead at 76

Quote:
Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the former professional boxer who became an advocate for the wrongly convicted after spending 19 years in prison for a triple murder he didn't commit, died Sunday in Toronto. He was 76.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn
 
STATUTORY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Khobestan
Posts: 9,661
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

i'm glad that his wrongful conviction was overturned

but that denzel movie was a total copout

RIP
STATUTORY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,857
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
i'm glad that his wrongful conviction was overturned

but that denzel movie was a total copout

RIP

That movie did introduce him to younger people. I doubt a lot of people would know that it happened to him without seeing that and doing there own research about it.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,857
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

After the movie I did recognize him the few times he would pop up in the news cycle for his advocacy work he did but that was pretty rare.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Rubin Carter wasn't released because it was deemed he was innocent. His book, the film, and the popular opinion about him are a total farce and it's insane that a triple murderer became a folk hero. Seriously, if you research the facts of the case and dispel all the myths and falsehoods from the case that have become widely accepted, it won't take you long to realize this guy was a real piece of shit.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn
 
STATUTORY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Khobestan
Posts: 9,661
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Rubin Carter wasn't released because it was deemed he was innocent. His book, the film, and the popular opinion about him are a total farce and it's insane that a triple murderer became a folk hero. Seriously, if you research the facts of the case and dispel all the myths and falsehoods from the case that have become widely accepted, it won't take you long to realize this guy was a real piece of shit.
i agree, i was being diplomatic because he just died and i dont like to speak ill of the dead but that film, which most people base their "facts" from, is total fairy tale
STATUTORY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 18,953
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Rubin Carter wasn't released because it was deemed he was innocent. His book, the film, and the popular opinion about him are a total farce and it's insane that a triple murderer became a folk hero. Seriously, if you research the facts of the case and dispel all the myths and falsehoods from the case that have become widely accepted, it won't take you long to realize this guy was a real piece of shit.

There was way too much reasonable doubt for a conviction IMO. Especially since the prosecutor's star witnesses were guys who claim they just happened to be in the area committing burglaries at the time of the murders. They both later recanted their original testimony. The chain of custody on some of the evidence was questionable (notably the found live rounds). None of the surviving victims fingered Carter or Artis. No murder weapons were produced at trial.

The evidence was circumstantial at best and based on Carter/Artis being in the general neighborhood of the murders... as were two burglars who fingered them and later recanted.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
There was way too much reasonable doubt for a conviction IMO. Especially since the prosecutor's star witnesses were guys who claim they just happened to be in the area committing burglaries at the time of the murders. They both later recanted their original testimony. The chain of custody on some of the evidence was questionable (notably the found live rounds). None of the surviving victims fingered Carter or Artis. No murder weapons were produced at trial.

The evidence was circumstantial at best and based on Carter/Artis being in the general neighborhood of the murders... as were two burglars who fingered them and later recanted.
This is an oversimplification of a few things. If you peruse this site and still believe Carter's version of the events, you probably aren't thinking rationally.
http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

The issue of the recanted testimony is tackled on the first page.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 04-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 3,383
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGMSfiH850o


Bob Dylan - Hurricane

RIP
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,398
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Carter was guilty plain and simple. There's a reason bob dylan refused to play hurricane for so long live and there's a reason he said he felt like he was conned and had made a big mistake. Carter was guilty plain and simple and most of what people know from the media and his celebrity supporters at the time was pure bullshit.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 18,953
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
This is an oversimplification of a few things. If you peruse this site and still believe Carter's version of the events, you probably aren't thinking rationally.
http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

The issue of the recanted testimony is tackled on the first page.

Didn't say I believe his version of events, just that there was plenty of reasonable doubt. When your star witness was in the act of committing a burglary around the block from the murder scene and just happens to see the defendants leaving (didn't he also try to steal money from the bar's cash register right after? ) and then he later recants his testimony... you have a pretty flimsy case IMO. Plus the surviving victims of the crime came face to face with both Carter and Artis that same night and denied recognizing them as the killers.

So flimsy testimony from a burglar who was prowling the neighborhood and was in the process of robbing the murder scene when he was interrupted gives and then later recants testimony. No living witness/victim ID a few hours later. Shoddy police work with questionable chain of custody. Weak, nonsensical motive (executing 3 people because a casual acquaintance's father was killed for unrelated business matters?). No murder weapon(s) found.

Plenty of reasonable doubt.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!
 
BurningHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BMO Field
Posts: 8,804
Default Re: RIP: Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

According to wiki, in 2012, Carter was diagnosed with terminal cancer that doctor only give him 3 to 6 months to live. He ended up living for 2 more years.

Fighter til the end. RIP.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy