Default Roy Hibbert is done. NBA Point of Emphasis Memo Index : Verticality

http://www.nba.com/media/Verticality...ar_31_2014.pdf

National Basketball Association
    TO: NBA OWNERS / GENERAL MANAGERS / HEAD COACHES /
    OFFICIALS

DATE: MARCH 31, 2014

RE: PLAYERS TURNING SIDEWAYS ON VERTICALITY PLAYS
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

We want to make sure you are aware of the following topic we will be alerting referees
    to today.

We have noticed that defenders have been turning sideways when jumping to defend
    an oncoming offensive player on drives to the basket. This is illegal and referees are
    being instructed to call this a blocking foul. While we commonly discuss verticality in the
    context of secondary defenders inside the restricted area (see restricted area and
    verticality reminder further below), this change will apply to defenders turning sideways
    while in the air whether inside or outside the restricted area on drives.

Here are several examples of players turning sideways that will be deemed blocking
    fouls going forward.

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec...Verticality_ME
    MO

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec...as_Verticality
    _MEMO

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec...Verticality_ME
    MO

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec..._Verticality_P
    lay_MEMO

Here is a player making a slight turn when absorbing impact. This is considered vertical
    and legal.

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec...erticality_MEM

The Restricted Area and Verticality:

On a block-charge type play, a secondary defensive player cannot be in a legal
    guarding position, even if stationary, inside the "Restricted Area" if the offensive player
    receives the ball outside the lower defensive box -- unless he jumps vertically in an
    attempt to defend the shot. Therefore, even if positioned inside the Restricted Area, a
    secondary defender does not commit a blocking foul if contact is made while he is
    jumping vertically in an attempt to defend. The defender must, however, establish legal
    guarding position prior to the start of the offensive player's upward motion.

To be considered vertical, a defender must:

1. Be in the air to defend the shot when contact occurs. If the player is on the
    ground inside the restricted area, with his arms “vertical” when contact occurs, he
    will be assessed a blocking foul.

2. Maintain a vertical trajectory by jumping straight up. If the player jumps toward or
    to the side of an oncoming player, he will be assessed a blocking foul. A player
    may, however, angle his jump backwards slightly in such a way as to absorb the
    impact of the oncoming player, and of course, he may land behind where he
    leapt from because of the force of the contact.

3. Maintain vertical alignment, with his body (arms, hands, torso, legs
    and feet) in a nearly straight line that is perpendicular to the floor. If
    a player leans his arms forward or “jack-knifes” his legs toward the
    oncoming offensive player, he will be assessed a blocking foul.

4. A player may not turn sideways (as discussed above). If he does,
    he will be assessed a blocking foul.

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is done. NBA Point of Emphasis Memo Index : Verticality

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

3-peat

NBA Superstar

Here lies Roy Hibbert

2012-2014

Roy Hibbert: You suck dick bitch.

NBA Legend

Honestly, guys turn sideways strictly to protect themselves from taking a knee in the nuts when they're trying to make a defensive play.

It's amazing how many fans cry about Hibbert/verticality, then act like they miss the macho, hard-foul days when the refs let guys play and didn't call a foul on every drive.

Make up your ****in mind. This league DOES call way too many fouls, and I'm GLAD Hibbert has become a tough paint defender using verticality, and I don't give a **** if he turns sideways.

Fouls should not be called unless a guy gets hacked. A ****ing little bump from incidental contact? It's an immediate whistle these days and that is PATHETIC.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Honestly, guys turn sideways strictly to protect themselves from taking a knee in the nuts when they're trying to make a defensive play.

It's amazing how many fans cry about Hibbert/verticality, then act like they miss the macho, hard-foul days when the refs let guys play and didn't call a foul on every drive.

Make up your ****in mind. This league DOES call way too many fouls, and I'm GLAD Hibbert has become a tough paint defender using verticality, and I don't give a **** if he turns sideways.

Fouls should not be called unless a guy gets hacked. A ****ing little bump from incidental contact? It's an immediate whistle these days and that is PATHETIC.

This memo was obviously sent out in direct response to the Pacers beating the Heat a week ago. Do you REALLY want to see INDIANA in the FINALS? The team that got just 8 national TV games this year? I don't even think INDIANA fans want that dude, their ticket prices are among the cheapest in the league despite being widely considered as a "contender" and having one of their best seasons ever as a franchise.

Trust me dude, you'll be thanking the league for this in June when we don't have to watch the boring ass small market Pacers in the Finals.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0

This memo was obviously sent out in direct response to the Pacers beating the Heat a week ago. Do you REALLY want to see INDIANA in the FINALS? The team that got just 8 national TV games this year? I don't even think INDIANA fans want that dude, their ticket prices are among the cheapest in the league despite being widely considered as a "contender" and having one of their best seasons ever as a franchise.

Trust me dude, you'll be thanking the league for this in June when we don't have to watch the boring ass small market Pacers in the Finals.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0

If I were you, I'd want the Pacers in the Finals if you believe the Thunder will make it.

The Thunder have not displayed anything that concedes they are capable of beating Miami 4 games out of 7. Them being a jump shooting team plays right into the strength of the Miami Heat, as evidenced by the last few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    If I were you, I'd want the Pacers in the Finals if you believe the Thunder will make it.

The Thunder have not displayed anything that concedes they are capable of beating Miami 4 games out of 7. Them being a jump shooting team plays right into the strength of the Miami Heat, as evidenced by the last few seasons.

I'm sure Miami would LOVE to face OKC in the finals. They're afraid of the Spurs though

what pisses me off about Roy Hibbert is how was allowed to do this with and make contact with a shooter and not be called for a foul.

that ain't vertical.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    what pisses me off about Roy Hibbert is how was allowed to do this with and make contact with a shooter and not be called for a foul.

that ain't vertical.
    The problem with these type of photos is that they prove nothing because they are after contact. If he is vertical and because of contact his arms go forward slightly I don't think that's a foul when the jump is vertical.

I thought this thread was an april fools joke at first

If this is true you know Lebron went crying to the commissioner, props he got it done though. Indiana losing HCA and now their defensive anchor will be watched very closely by the refs in the playoffs...that's not good
    Last edited by TheGreatDeraj; 04-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

Thats how Battier celebrates

Banned

maybe now hibbert will get called like everyone else in the league.
    doubt it tho.
    hibbert is allowed to push players out of their driving lanes too

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    The problem with these type of photos is that they prove nothing because they are after contact. If he is vertical and because of contact his arms go forward slightly I don't think that's a foul when the jump is vertical.

I thought this thread was an april fools joke at first
    if you watched Roy Hibbert you would know he jumps like that with his arms at a 45 degree angle almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    if you watched Roy Hibbert you would know he jumps like that with his arms at a 45 degree angle almost every time.

Honestly it's ****ing ridiculous.