Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    College superstar

Default wade vs clyde drexler

who's the 4th best sg behind jordan west and kobe.

i take everything into account: so clyde's lack of an off-hand (he rarely went left which made him predictable in certain situations) & weak ball handling which meant he couldn't break someone down off the dribble like a mitch richmond or sprewell could. how much it limited him? not really sure. maybe some older hoop heads can elaborate on that. on wade's end, his injuries, lack of work ethic and inability to adjust his game as his athleticism has faded (wasn't a top 40 player via rapm).

they're clearly the 4th and 5th best sg's though. in what order though?

Default Re: wade vs clyde drexler

Obviously if Clyde didn't have to face Jordan, he would have been the best SG by far. He'd be the best SG today as well, but I would still take the risk of Wade getting injured if it meant having his 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2011 seasons where he was REALLY REALLY good, and probably better than Drexler.

I usually hit open layups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MkPZWiPitA

but like Wade, Clyde couldn't win it without another superstar or ATG type talent..

otherwise, Glide is superior in most respects.. (just scoring really, they're about equal? Clyde might even be better there?) does some things in blaze's video I've never seen Wade do / he won't ever do..

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Obviously if Clyde didn't have to face Jordan, he would have been the best SG by far. He'd be the best SG today as well, but I would still take the risk of Wade getting injured if it meant having his 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2011 seasons where he was REALLY REALLY good, and probably better than Drexler.
    the best sg in the 90s you mean? i agree.

to me wade's 2006 campaign was overrated. lots of freethrows in a shady finals where the nba still wasn't sure on how to call the game.....with handchecking being banned. alonzo mourning called kobe the best player in the league that year, this after the heat won their first title in franchise history, and wade supposedly had one of "greatest finals ever".

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MkPZWiPitA

but like Wade, Clyde couldn't win it without another superstar or ATG type talent..

otherwise, Glide is superior in most respects.. (just scoring really, they're about equal? Clyde might even be better there?) does some things in blaze's video I've never seen Wade do / he won't ever do..
    cool video bud. i saw blaze post it a few months back. clyde was EASILY more crafty and had more feel for the game if we're just talking fundamentals. wade still has a broken jumper.

Yeah best sg in the 90's is what I meant.

And while Wade's 2006 finals were a joke far as FT's go, he was still damn good in other areas. It wasn't Jordan in 1993 all over again, but you can't deny he took over in that series.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Yeah best sg in the 90's is what I meant.

And while Wade's 2006 finals were a joke far as FT's go, he was still damn good in other areas. It wasn't Jordan in 1993 all over again, but you can't deny he took over in that series.
    agree to disagree. wade was good. and did have some momemnts where he "took over", but i really felt the refs swayed that series - as did mark cuban, who hired a federal agent to do an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    cool video bud. i saw blaze post it a few months back. clyde was EASILY more crafty and had more feel for the game if we're just talking fundamentals. wade still has a broken jumper.
    this video makes it even clearer b/c you see more of the passing skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cQWV28N_E
    averages between 7-8 apg for 4 straight seasons..

and Clyde was not only a good rebounder (in 94 season averages a double double!) but a reliable defender throughout his career.. i know Wade had D in flashes but not as consistent tho Wade was, for whatever reason, a comparable shotblocker or maybe even better at his position which is amazing for Wade's size..

all things considered, Clyde I got as roughly 23-25th best ever, Wade is more like 27-29..

Wade's a better shooter (broken jumper or not), explaining (along with Miami having no other options for a while) the higher ppg..
    Last edited by superteamtheory; 07-24-2015 at 11:58 AM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory
    Wade's a better shooter (broken jumper or not), explaining (along with Miami having no other options for a while) the higher ppg..
    was he though? because glide was elite from midrange, and while he was an average 3PT shooter, he had better shooting seasons from beyond the arc & the freethrow line than wade ever did.

i think wade having a higher ppg has to do with the teams he played on, as you mentioned, and the fact the nba has eliminated handchecking.

2000-2004 is probably the goat era of defense tbqh

I have Wade 2nd best after Kobe. Clyde would probably be 4th best after Jordan, though it's close between him and West.

I like Drexler but I think Wade was clearly better. Wade reached heights Drexler never did. He had a higher peak and impacted the game more. He was a more dominant scorer, better at breaking down defenders and getting to the basket and won a chip as "the man" in one of the most dominant individual performances in an NBA Finals series.

Not saying it isn't close, but I don't see what argument Drexler really has over Wade

Peak Wade ('05-'11)
    RS: 27/5/7 49%
    PS: 27/6/6 49%

Peak Drexler ('86-'92)
    RS: 24/7/6 49%
    PS: 23/7/7 46%

All-NBA Teams
    Wade: 8 (2 first teams)
    Drexler: 5 (1 first team)

All-Defensive Teams
    Wade: 3
    Drexler: 0

Scoring titles
    Wade: 1

Finals MVP's
    Wade: 1

It's hard to look at the above and argue Drexler was actually better than Wade

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I like Drexler but I think Wade was clearly better. Wade reached heights Drexler never did. He had a higher peak and impacted the game more. He was a more dominant scorer, better at breaking down defenders and getting to the basket and won a chip as "the man" in one of the most dominant individual performances in an NBA Finals series.
    Wade at his peak (somewhere around 2009) is better than peak Drex IMO (just like MVP Barkley was totally amazing for at least that one year) but on the whole…

Drexler would have been The Man vs. 2006 Mavs too. … Drex & his deep Blazers could have handled that just-average-great Mavs roster. … 1990 Bad Boys & 1992 Jordan-Pippen… legendary combos he was coming up against…

When Wade met (the much improved) Mavs again in 2011, with Bron as the man now…

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...106120MIA.html

Jason Terry alone outplaying Dwyane Wade in a critical Finals elimination game… (EDIT: possibly due to injury, I have been reminded.)

but then again Bosh choked game 2 which Wade and Bron carried a crying Bosh through and LBJ had his Space Jam lost abilities game in game 4 which Wade tried to carry them through… so maybe it all evens out between those three that year… 2014 tho..

2014, Wade's falling apart at the seams, Drexler was winning an NBA championship around that age (actually what would have been Wade's 2015 season), he may be second option by then but Drexler held up well when needed… Wade as an aging player left Bron to be hung by the mob…

I can't fault a person for picking Wade b/c of higher scoring, peak years and how he would toss his body around fearlessly as a youngster… but me personally I value Drex having the better floor game and arguably better defence and various intangibles -- fundamentals might be all I mean but I feel like he was a character guy like Curry… not saying Wade isn't, but at least one Wade's antic (making fun of Dirk's cold) did hurt team at time (or at least did nothing to help their situation as the NBA's most villainized)..

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    was he though? because glide was elite from midrange, and while he was an average 3PT shooter, he had better shooting seasons from beyond the arc & the freethrow line than wade ever did.

i think wade having a higher ppg has to do with the teams he played on, as you mentioned, and the fact the nba has eliminated handchecking.

2000-2004 is probably the goat era of defense tbqh
    lol… on second thought, you might be right…

handchecking *is* the #1 thing explaining scoring rises in general, not the paintcamping and yeah it is interesting that shortly after that rule comes in the Pistons go down to Wade…

(side digression because of 2000-2004 toughest defence comment: dunno about toughest but the Noughties in general had tougher defences than people remember, it's only recently that defence is really going out the window... but there are still some great individual defenders / teams that get how to play complex defence and those are the ones you typically meet in later playoffs and the Finals…)

maybe I need to see more Drexler shooting (I've seen a lot more Wade samplings) but my initial impression is Wade's size disadvantage holds his shot back at times (whereas Drexler has length) making the shooting abilities seem closer, more that Drex has natural ability there… that and Wade haphazardly jacks a lot over the years as does just about everyone in or around his generation = Drexler efficient FG% because he's smart/wise / better fundamentals / just the way it was those days... there are tough shots Wade has made that I'm not sure Drex would be able to, but then again Drex did make some tough shots and again has that Dr.J-Pippen length..

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    I have Wade 2nd best after Kobe. Clyde would probably be 4th best after Jordan, though it's close between him and West.
    You are a rare breed… Can I ask you what your criteria would be? (ie. Kobe > Jordan or even moreso Wade > Jordan) ...
    Last edited by superteamtheory; 07-26-2015 at 11:44 AM.

NBA Superstar

[QUOTE=superteamtheory]Wade at his peak (somewhere around 2009) is better than peak Drex IMO (just like MVP Barkley was totally amazing for at least that one year) but on the whole

wade benefits ALOT from the rule changes. he wouldnt be nearly as effective in the 90s