Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Skechers GOrun 2. Hailed the shoe of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I want to try these barefoot shoes for basketball. Anybody knows one that's good for lateral movement?
    no ankle support i wouldnt do it

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    no ankle support i wouldnt do it
    Some would say the ankle support actually cause injury.

Some would say the ankle support actually cause injury.
    true...

just fyi, there are different types of vibrams. some designed for trail running, some are for the track, some are all purpose. guess you would have to try them to figure out what's best for you.

Again, the vast majority of professional long distance runners heel strike, and I'm supposed to listen to a blog post saying it's "inefficient". If it was actually inefficient and had a strong relation to injury it would have been phased out of the professional sport a long time ago.

Please.

You guys have bought into the marketing of these minimal shoes hook, line and sinker.

This guy is pretty much dead on with his analysis if you ask me (he's not trying to sell you any shoes either):
    http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-mu...te-022812.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Again, the vast majority of professional long distance runners heel strike, and I'm supposed to listen to a blog post saying it's "inefficient". If it was actually inefficient and had a strong relation to injury it would have been phased out of the professional sport a long time ago.Please.

You guys have bought into the marketing of these minimal shoes hook, line and sinker.

This guy is pretty much dead on with his analysis if you ask me (he's not trying to sell you any shoes either):
    Heel striking is still a relatively new method of running, as posted by rezznor (thanks bud) Nike produced this new shoe in the late 70's I believe. Before that NOBODY was heel striking because you simply couldn't without it being painful. That is PROOF that it is bad for your body.

Do you run LJJ? If so, try running barefoot while coming down on you heel first. It is the most uncomfotable and awkward feeling in the world.

Minimalist shoes are simply allowing us to run how we were always meant to run.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Heel striking is still a relatively new method of running, as posted by rezznor (thanks bud) Nike produced this new shoe in the late 70's I believe. Before that NOBODY was heel striking because you simply couldn't without it being painful. That is PROOF that it is bad for your body.

Do you run LJJ? If so, try running barefoot while coming down on you heel first. It is the most uncomfotable and awkward feeling in the world.

Minimalist shoes are simply allowing us to run how we were always meant to run.
    Look, I'm completely willing to buy your claim if you had proof. Evidence.

Proof isn't "when people run barefoot they use a midfoot strike, so that's proof it's also better to run the same way in shoes". No, natural is not better per definition. Not brushing my teeth is also natural, but I still do it.

Proof would be this: Professional, experienced runners who utilize a midfoot strike are in general less likely to get injured and more succesfull runners than those who utilize a heel strike. This is simply not true. You have no evidence, no proof. The Marathon WR has been comfortably held by heel strikers for as long as I can remember, and I can remember six of them. One of them actually was a natural midfoot striker and he never came close to a WR until he adopted the heel strike.
    Last edited by LJJ; 03-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Again, the vast majority of professional long distance runners heel strike, and I'm supposed to listen to a blog post saying it's "inefficient". If it was actually inefficient and had a strong relation to injury it would have been phased out of the professional sport a long time ago.

Please.

so when Nike was marketing it's cushioned shoes were we also buying into it hook, line, and sinker? now Nike is promoting it's own minimalist shoes, the Frees...which Nike am I supposed to believe?

From personal experience, I used to always get shin splints and knee pain when I ran in my old shoes...after a few weeks in my Vibrams, that pain went away. That's good enough for me.

so when Nike was marketing it's cushioned shoes were we also buying into it hook, line, and sinker? now Nike is promoting it's own minimalist shoes, the Frees...which Nike am I supposed to believe?
    None. You shouldn't believe what a shoe company tells you about shoes at all.

Look at factual data. Problem solved.

you are right, but my question was a bit rhetorical. the answer isn't found in the shoe, the answer lies in correct running technique. a professional runner would probably have just as much success with a cushioned shoe as a minimal one, but that's because he has his biomechanics down. the advantage that minimalist shoes do have, however, is that they help to encourage you to run correctly.

There is no factual data to support the idea that cushioned running shoes prevent injury or increase running times.

From personal experience, I used to always get shin splints and knee pain when I ran in my old shoes...after a few weeks in my Vibrams, that pain went away. That's good enough for me.

Hey rezznor, how far do you run in your vibrams?

I went on a 5+ mile run in my vibram bikilas today and it felt great. I was pretty sure I wanted a shoe with a little more cushion (hence this thread) but now I'm not so sure. I have a goal of doing a half marathon in September and running it in my fivefingers seems like a daunting task.

I think I'm going to run in my fingers for a couple weeks before I buy a new pair of shoes.

"Going barefoot is certainly the best way to quickly develop and maintain good form. And shoes certainly can interfere with our form. " -Unknown

This is what I mainly feel is very important for people to realize. There are a lot of people running with terrible form and getting away with it because of their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Hey rezznor, how far do you run in your vibrams?

I went on a 5+ mile run in my vibram bikilas today and it felt great. I was pretty sure I wanted a shoe with a little more cushion (hence this thread) but now I'm not so sure. I have a goal of doing a half marathon in September and running it in my fivefingers seems like a daunting task.

I think I'm going to run in my fingers for a couple weeks before I buy a new pair of shoes.
    farthest i have run in vibrams is 12 miles. i ran in saucony kinvaras for my marathon. i do know people who run full marathons in vibrams, as well as 2 brothers who are dedicated pure barefoot runners. they have run over a dozen marathons without shoes.

true...

just fyi, there are different types of vibrams. some designed for trail running, some are for the track, some are all purpose. guess you would have to try them to figure out what's best for you.
    Any other brand? I checked out Vibram and dislike their five fingers design. Surely would attract stares and unwanted attention.

Any other brand? I checked out Vibram and dislike their five fingers design. Surely would attract stares and unwanted attention.
    yes, there are plenty that uses vibram's actual materials but on regular shoe styles. the nimbus is one http://www.irunfar.com/2011/02/merre...il-review.html