Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Bigass Poltical thread Part V: The Democratic Convention

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Unfortunately, that's all the campaign is from the GOP side. They could certainly attack Obama's performance over the last 4 years, but instead they prefer to attack ridiculous, non-events like this.

It's the kind of approach you have to take when your own candidate has no believable policy platform or plan. You just make it about how bad the other guy is.

yeah i actually switched to Fox news last night after getting sick of the cheesy'ness of the Democrats, only to see this old guy yapping about how everything Michelle Obama said was baloney and how he didn't believe her stories. its amazing how predictably opposite and partisan they are....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I honestly don't get the Biden hate. Criticize his policies and stances sure, that's fine, but I mean his "off the cuff" personality. Isn't that what people have been crying for for...ever? A dude that doesn't bullshit and tells you what he thinks? Say Romney wins and at the presser for the Obamacare repeal an open mic catches Ryan saying "this is a BIG ****ING DEAL!" That shit would be lauded on the right, as it should be.

If you don't like his policy that's fine, I just don't get why people dislike his personality. I personally love the dude.

And **** whatever the right says, Deval Patrick murdered it strictly on the "it's time for Democrats to get a backbone" line alone. Because he's right. **** compromise, Republicans aren't doing it, stop kowtowing.

So, mate, you don't believe in taking the high road? You don't believe in setting examples? You essentially believe in being petty rather than being purposeful? You're more interested in partisan bickering than setting an important tone of resolute determination to make improvements?

Bully for you, mate!

What would you prefer Democrats not compromise on, mate? Allowing entitlement spending to suffocate the country's future? Inefficient, federalized healthcare that provides literally zero incentive for people to actually be healthy? Tolerance of cultures that produce gangs, dropouts, drug abusers, teen pregnancy, domestic violence, but no tolerance of those who'd rather not spend their money on school systems for the children others have irresponsibly and can't be bothered to raise?

Mate, creating a welfare state in America won't lift everyone up. It will bring everyone down. Democrats are the party of the jealous, lazy, and entitled.

"Vote for this pro union democrat. We'll create laws that say you have to be paid more for doing less! Sure, jobs will eventually outsource, perhaps in a few years, but for right now, immediately, your paycheck will go up! Don't look ahead, vote for me today, based on the carrot I'm dangling in front of you TODAY!"

Score a vote for the democrats.

"Look at Mitt Romney! All white and successful, good hairline, nice smile, tall. Typical All-American success story! How can you vote for him? You should resent him! You have poor language skills, you aren't as handsome, you're average! Don't vote for some stereotypical successful person. He has what you never will, and looks better than you ever did. BE jealous. Don't strive for America that works up to his level, demand that it come down to yours! You're Joe Shmoe, resent this successful man immediately! Successful business people are the bad guys, because you'll never be one! That's a good reason not to vote for him!"

"Some republicans are racist! (Many blue collar union laborers who vote democrat are also racist but forget that please. Many black democratss are extremely racist, but that's ok because they're black.) Use racism as a reason to shun all these Repubilcan principles of "independence" and "culpability." Demand more freebies from your government! Get into debt! That's ok! Because some people are racist! Don't be informed, don't get a clue as to what's going on. You're black, or hispanic, and you are entitled to a whole bunch of stuff because you live in a country that has people who are racist! Evil, racist Republicans like Jackie Robinson and Sammy Davis Jr. believed in hard work and taking action and being informed and standing tall. That's a whole bunch of racist talk from two epic racists.

Sad America, mates.
    Last edited by JaggerCommaMick; 09-05-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    it IS a consistent Republican thing and on a level that is nowhere near Democrat spinning. you never seem to account for degree, rather than acting like they're constantly both at fault when one is consistently much worse than the other in how bad they spin. you should watch the most recent episode of Bill Maher, and how he completely wrecks this GOP black guy(think he was a Ryan advisor?) for his use of 'GOP facts'. it really showed the false reality the GOP uses to counter whats true and backed by science/studies. Its really like they make up their own realities just to counter Democratic pushes.

Well there's an unbiased source.

So you believe that suitable weather for a professional football game is same as that for a series of political speeches?
    I do when just yesterday Obama's people were saying they were having the speech at the stadium "rain or shine".

Look, I'm not a republican but I can spot bullshit. The blind followers are ridiculous on both sides.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Well there's an unbiased source.

I do when just yesterday Obama's people were saying they were having the speech at the stadium "rain or shine".

Look, I'm not a republican but I can spot bullshit. The blind followers are ridiculous on both sides.

yeah not saying Bill Maher isn't biased but you have to watch it just to see there really is no bias when it comes to making up your own realities that aren't backed by anyone but the GOP to counter science/Dem's to justify their ideals. it was a really good display of spin with no backing at all being called out. i wish i could find the clip but i think the episode is too new.

he's been going nuts of late on a short fuse. like 2 shows ago he went nuts on a audience GOP heckler and helped throw him out himself since security was late to react. i could tell Bill Maher was sort of shook the rest of the show tho from his voice he's usually kinder or more in the middle to his guests even if they're Republicans but he hasn't been holding back of late.

I guess my question to you then is what in the world would make this a big deal? It's nothing, a non-story, unless you want to hang your hat on "yesterday they said they were doing it".

There's plenty of ways to video a facility and make it appear packed to the roof. Sports teams do it daily.

I'm not a blind follower of either side. Voted my conscience, not a party line, for 30 years. I've never seen people (not attacking you here; it's an epidemic) try to spin such inconsequential crap into news, all the while ignorant as to real issues.

Serious playground baller General's Avatar

[QUOTE]The reconciliation began in earnest late last summer. Patrick Gaspard, the former White House political director, who has moved to the Democratic National Committee, approached Douglas Band, Clinton

I guess my question to you then is what in the world would make this a big deal? It's nothing, a non-story, unless you want to hang your hat on "yesterday they said they were doing it".

There's plenty of ways to video a facility and make it appear packed to the roof. Sports teams do it daily.

I'm not a blind follower of either side. Voted my conscience, not a party line, for 30 years. I've never seen people (not attacking you here; it's an epidemic) try to spin such inconsequential crap into news, all the while ignorant as to real issues.

It is a big deal here in Charlotte. This part of the convention has been pitched to us Charlotteans as the be all end all biggest event in the history of recorded time for 2 fukcing years.

I just think it's funny that the dems were all gleeful about hurricane Isaac plaguing the republicans and now it's biting them in the ass.
    This might be your only valid point.

That is if you really believe the weather story. I know you think political spin is just a republican thing.

Wouldn't the fact they weren't lowering expectations yesterday, lend more credence to the fact this is not based on expected attendance. Do you think they didn't have a good idea of what the attendance would be until today? Every one who got tickets had to go to a campaign office to pick up tickets and then they had to activate the tickets entering a code from a mobile device. Do you think in this day and age of "campaign microtargeting." They didn't know how many people would be there. You don't think they wouldn't like a restaurant or college have more people ready to go? They claim they had a waiting list of 19,000. If they thought they were in trouble, they would have putting out caveats for a while now.

Yes, they play football in the rain. However baseball has rain delays. What happens if there's a rain delay? You could have your candidate's speech delayed for an hour or two and get pushed out of prime time. Also standing in the pouring rain might tend to dampen a crowd's enthusiasm.

Also your claim of "rain or shine" is simply incomplete and is, in fact, Republican spin.
    Obama’s Thursday address at Bank of America Stadium will go on “rain or shine,” campaign manager Jim Messina said Tuesday — at least as long as it doesn’t pose a safety hazard......
    Weather forecasters say there is a 40% chance of thunderstorms Thursday night, and scattered showers have bedeviled those who arrived early for this week's convention....
    Still, there remained an asterisk in the event that things go seriously awry weather-wise. Convention organizers told reporters they would move the proceedings back into the Time Warner Cable Arena, the indoor venue where other big-name speeches will be held, "in the event of severe weather," such as lightning or other dangerous conditions.
    So Democrats are taking the less risky route in terms of how the speech plays on TV. The Republicans are claiming they were forced into this move because the enthusiasm isn't there.

Which one is spin? To me the RNC were the ones to start the spin. It's their desire that the crowds wouldn't show up, but exactly how would they know? You might be more susceptible to spin than you think you are. Where is the unbiased source that the stadium would be half empty.

I guess my question to you then is what in the world would make this a big deal? It's nothing, a non-story.
    I agree. Ultimately this is not going to matter one way or the other.

This just the Republicans trying to knock the Democrats off their game. They make a big fuss and then all the reporters have to ask the Democratic officials and they have to respond to it. Frankly, if the Republicans didn't kick up this fuss, the press would be spending more time on how well the first night of the convention went and how great Michelle Obama's speech was.

Last week the Democrats had a lot things to steal attention from the Republican convention, like the President answering questions on Reddit.

POTUS is in town, currently playing 9 holes at Ballantyne Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC

This just the Republicans trying to knock the Democrats off their game.

Just don't ask about Solyndra

You're linking to the Daily Caller? But you're immune to Republican spin?

Also Solyndra is a bigger non-story than the speech in the stadium.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Story is obviously false. Only republicans do this dude.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 09-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Story is obviously false. Only republicans do this dude. Puts a nice argument against federal funding for alternative fuels.
    Oh yeah I forgot, Republicans eat babies alive while Democrats are the Messiah. Silly me.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    You're linking to the Daily Caller? But you're immune to Republican spin?

Also Solyndra is a bigger non-story than the speech in the stadium.
    How does the chicago tribune work for ya?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ma-white-house