Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: "Julius Randle physically is the closest thing I have ever seen to Lebron James"

He put up great numbers last night, and I've been a huge Randle guy from the get go. But I wasn't as thrilled last night I'd hoped I would be. The impressive thing is that he still put up huge numbers against a really good physical top tier NCAA team, even when I didn't think he played great.

I totally understand the ZBo comp. That midrange face up jumper, and the excessive jab game, is totally ZBo. So is the extensive reliance on the left hand. He's far more lefty dominant than I expected based on what I saw at the HS level. And so is that spin back counter move that he seems to love so much.

That said, while I don't believe he's an elite athlete, on the level of Chris Webber, he is a better athlete than ZBo. Right now I'd liken him a lot to Derrick Coleman, who was a world class prospect, in spite of being a tick below elite as an athlete. Although I'm not sure Randle is quite the ball handler or passer DC was, and DC was a legit 6-10.

Randle was iffy with the ball last night, as were most of the Kentucky guys. And it'd be nice to see him have more of an impact defensively, but that's never gonna be his calling card.

Andrew Harrison looked at best iffy last night.

I haven't actually watched the second game yet. I'm sick as hell and fell asleep.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: "Julius Randle physically is the closest thing I have ever seen to Lebron James"

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    You don't shoot with the top of your head, you don't rebound with the top of your head, you don't do anything with the top of your head

Wingspan = true height in basketball.
    Even if that were true, Randle has less wingspan than those NBA guys playing the 5. Again, those guys were monsters in the NCAA too.

I'm not sure if his style will translate into the NBA. He reminds me a lot of Michael Beasley in college although not as good a scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    He put up great numbers last night, and I've been a huge Randle guy from the get go. But I wasn't as thrilled last night I'd hoped I would be. The impressive thing is that he still put up huge numbers against a really good physical top tier NCAA team, even when I didn't think he played great.

I totally understand the ZBo comp. That midrange face up jumper, and the excessive jab game, is totally ZBo. So is the extensive reliance on the left hand. He's far more lefty dominant than I expected based on what I saw at the HS level. And so is that spin back counter move that he seems to love so much.

That said, while I don't believe he's an elite athlete, on the level of Chris Webber, he is a better athlete than ZBo. Right now I'd liken him a lot to Derrick Coleman, who was a world class prospect, in spite of being a tick below elite as an athlete. Although I'm not sure Randle is quite the ball handler or passer DC was, and DC was a legit 6-10.

Randle was iffy with the ball last night, as were most of the Kentucky guys. And it'd be nice to see him have more of an impact defensively, but that's never gonna be his calling card.

Andrew Harrison looked at best iffy last night.

I haven't actually watched the second game yet. I'm sick as hell and fell asleep.
    Yeah, I was a bit worried about how left hand dominant he was last night. He really favors turning with that right shoulder and can get away with it because of his strength in the post. He will def need to refine that area of his game at the next level.

His defensive effort was pretty bad in transition (it was for everyone on Kentucky) but that is something that Cal will get ironed out by destroying them on film and in practice. All of Kentucky's guards were underwhelming last night but their frontline is great.

NBA rookie of the year

Randle = tweener forward. GM's beware, he reeks of a bust. I don't see much difference with him than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

The prizes are Parker and Wiggins.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Randle = tweener forward. GM's beware, he reeks of a bust. I don't see much difference with him than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

The prizes are Parker and Wiggins.
    Randle is not a tweener. Dude plays on the block. He's going to be a 4, period. He doesn't play small at all. People acting like Barkley didn't dominate this league at 6'6, calling Randle undersized and incapable of playing the 4 is ridiculous. Julius Randle is taller and stockier than Bron, and Bron is definitely capable of playing the 4

People talking about he's not athletic? Have yall seen this man? Dude has a nice first step and he can jump out the gym too. There's not many 4s in the league more athletic than him. Kevin Love like 6'7 and is an actual tweener yet he's successful.

Yall telling me Randle can be a successful 4? Look at Love, dude is the size of a SF(LeBron).

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by aburre21

Yall telling me Randle can be a successful 4? Look at Love, dude is the size of a SF(LeBron).
    randle has to develop a good midrange game to be a good nba player. love can make midrange shots and three points with post moves. Randle is not going to over power athletic bigs in the nba. Randle was dominated by big athletes like gordon and noel in the past.

As I said in the other Randle thread, we have to remember he put up 4/4 in the first half. His offensive explosion in the second half came mostly against 6'6" Dawson. Now Dawson pound for pound may be almost as strong as Randle, but he's still three inches shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisGW
    randle has to develop a good midrange game to be a good nba player. love can make midrange shots and three points with post moves. Randle is not going to over power athletic bigs in the nba. Randle was dominated by big athletes like gordon and noel in the past.

you guys don't know shit about basketball...calling him a tweener and comparing him to Michael Beasley, etc. Then saying he needs a jumper/midrange. Last time I checked, Beasley had a midrange jumper, etc.. Beasley didn't overpower players. He was just skilled offensively. That comparison is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    As I said in the other Randle thread, we have to remember he put up 4/4 in the first half. His offensive explosion in the second half came mostly against 6'6" Dawson. Now Dawson pound for pound may be almost as strong as Randle, but he's still three inches shorter.

What? Dude scored like his first 10 points in the second half on adreian payne

http://youtu.be/SdsY62qaCoA

did you watch the game?

What? Dude scored like his first 10 points in the second half on adreian payne

http://youtu.be/SdsY62qaCoA

did you watch the game?
    As I stated in the other Randle thread, he scored his first few buckets in the second half against Payne who was trying to avoid another foul. That got him going.

The thread is titled: "Julius Randle 27 Points 13 Rebounds vs Michigan State in the loss". Feel free to take a look if you think I'm BS'ing you. lol

Again, Randle was great and should be a great pro, but there was a difference between the first half with Payne not worrying about foul trouble and Dawson guarding him here and there compared to Payne playing delicately and Dawson being forced to guard a much taller player for huge stretches.

Banned

http://nbadraft.net/players/deshawn-stevenson

let's all remember how early comparisons can pan out

Made that high school varsity squad

you guys don't know shit about basketball...calling him a tweener and comparing him to Michael Beasley, etc. Then saying he needs a jumper/midrange. Last time I checked, Beasley had a midrange jumper, etc.. Beasley didn't overpower players. He was just skilled offensively. That comparison is ridiculous
    when did I compare him to Beasley? He is not going to get a shot off in nba because people are his size and just as athletic. He has trouble against top athletes. During is AAU career he struggled against gordon and Noel. These are similar athletes he will face in the nba. He has to develop a mid range game to his offensive skill set, so players will respect him. A 6'8 guy is not going to over power guys in the NBA. Even the powerful Karl Malone had to develop a 15 foot jumper.

Dunking on everybody in the park TheTruth11's Avatar

Steven A. Smith made a great observation about Randle. He said that he is all left hand. Says that will hurt him at the next level.

He likes 1. Parker, 2. Randle, and then 3. Wiggins. He is not really sold on Wiggins at all. Says he is too raw and lacks poise.

Chris Broussard would also take Parker #1