Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Do you think life exists elsewhere in the universe?

i don't think i'd jump out of my seat in utter disbelief if some scientist discovered that out of hundreds of billions of planets, there was or were another planet(s) that had oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, and out from environment, life in the tiniest form developed. it's not a conviction based on evidence because there is no evidence. it is conjecture based on imagination, and that's why the title of the thread was "DO YOU THINK" instead of "DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT...."

Who knows. There's probably some other living creature on another planet asking the same question. This is just one of those subjects that we'll probably never have an answer to. Sucks when you have a problem and no solution whatsoever.

For those who even for a second thought OldSkoolball#52 was making some sense, I am here to tell you most of his thinking was logically flawed. You can breathe now.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Yes I realize species evolved over many years. But we do not know the PRECISE conditions under which life originally generated. How do you know the improbability of it? If you know anything about quantum physics, you'd know the saying "Nothing is mathematically impossibe. Only improbable." So how do you know the exact, EXACT conditions to generate a cell on Earth, down to the very nanoliter of methane, and carbon, the specific distance in milimeters from the sun, the parts per billion of salinity in the water... wasn't a one-in-a-googleplex probability that hasn't been replicated anywhere else? So far seven billion people on Earth and counting, and none with the same fingerprints. Even more snowflakes, and still no two alike. Even beyond the assumption that life can be physically and spontaneously generated by chance (and I agree that is valid as a theory) there is also the possibility that reality itself is far more complex than you can even imagine right now. You cited gravity as a physical law. What is this, 1950? You don't realize the law of gravity breaks down in certain instances and scientists have absolutely no idea how or why??

The fact is you don't know. Your romantic leap to "it has to be!" is no more grounded in evidential logic than someone claiming that there has to be a design to life because there are questions science can't answer. You're enticed by the idea of life out there, so you are racing ahead to that conclusion without the proper logistic backing, same as anyone else might do with a given religion.

I agree with this dude.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    For those who even for a second thought OldSkoolball#52 was making some sense, I am here to tell you most of his thinking was logically flawed. You can breathe now.

Dis fool

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Yes, the Malaysia plane is floating in space somewhere
    [COLOR="White"]Don't hate me[/COLOR]

I believe life exists elsewhere in the universe. The question is, what type/level of life. If we can all agree the universe is some 13.7 billion years old (and that's a pretty firm number) that would mean all life elsewhere if it does exists means they're subject to the same time clock we are. So that life could possibly be (even likely) way more primitive than us. Think about it, we're just now evolving to the level we are today and that was 4.6 billion years in the making. I can't say for sure, but I believe hearing somewhere we belong to a relatively older star / solar system out there, more than most.

On the other hand, it's possible we're way behind a single or perhaps thousands (or even more there's just no way of knowing) of extraterrestrial species out there. It's possible they could have mutated and evolved at a much quicker rate than we have. Think about how much we furthered ourselves in the past 200 years alone; now imagine some extraterrestrial species / civilization out there who's endured their own "industrial revolution" a thousand times over to our one. Perhaps they didn't need a massive species like the dinosaurs to exists first and be eliminated before making way for a more sophisticated / advanced species similar to us, perhaps much better.

"Flash the message - something's out there!"

Banned

I believe there is some form of life or has been in the past. It's not logical to assume life will have taken the same path we have, you need to consider the fact that there's many different organisms on earth that have been far more successful at survival (which is all evolution cares about) than humans have been. It's also a little silly to assume that if there is intelligent life it would happen to be around in the tiny window of time that the human race has been around. We're just a tiny speck in the timeline of earth let alone other solar systems and planets. With the regularity of extinction events on earth it'd be a big con incidence to have another intelligent race be knocking around at the same time as us.

Earned not given

Some humans are so self-centered that they actually believe we're the only planet in the universe that has life.

F***ing idiots.

I'm confident that yes life exists somewhere else in this universe. I would go as far to say I guarantee it. All the elements needed for life to exist are scattered throughout the universe. All our metals on this planet were created in our Sun. The gold and silver. The iron in our blood.

The universe is filled with stars like our sun and surrounded by planets. Statistically one of those planets had to have been formed in a similar manner at just the right distance. That would probably mean that as the planet cooled life formed in some body of water. First single celled organisms acted on by natural selection.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Some humans are so self-centered that they actually believe we're the only planet in the universe that has life.

F***ing idiots.
    This happens when children are indoctrinated. When you're told as a child that something is true, and that anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong, you don't really have a chance. That's why forcing religion on children is child abuse. Telling something what to think instead of how to think is sick.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    This happens when children are indoctrinated. When you're told as a child that something is true, and that anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong, you don't really have a chance. That's why forcing religion on children is child abuse. Telling something what to think instead of how to think is sick.
    I agree. It's ironic that we have licenses and tests that need to be passed for some of the most simple and also difficult tasks in life, yet no license or test is needed to be deemed worthy of raising a child/family.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

If there is a 1-in-a-billion chance that a given planet has life on it, than conservative estimates would suggest there are 100 planets with life on them within the Milky Way alone.

http://www.voanews.com/content/galax...h/1577962.html

College superstar

I'd say it's impossible that there isn't life elsewhere in the universe. When people talk about Aliens we automatically think of advanced green men in flying saucers. This could be true however something as simple as marine life like fish would confirm Alien life.

I don't think we've ever been visited. A conspiracy like that would get leaked. I think places like Area 51 are so secretive because of what man is creating.

Banned

im surprised that rambo has not posted on this thread yet