Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Most undeserving MVP's

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    '88 Jordan. 50 wins.

And then I will point out to you that MJ averaged 35/5.5/6 on .535%

So that's what it took for someone on a 50 win team to win MVP in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    In 2011 Rose deserved it as much as the next guy, any objective observer could see why. It's quite simple.

Lebron joined 2 other all-stars in their prime and his team still couldn't win more games than a 3rd year player with no other all-stars on his team and a new coach. Does no one realize how crazy that is? And he won 60+ games back to back by basically being his team's only offense. Obviously Thibs was a God but Rose was Jesus for that team.

Lebron had no case over Rose in 2011, Dwight though carried lot of scrubs and washed up players by being an overwhelming presence on the court. He had a good case. 2013 Dwight was Kwame Brown compared to 2011 Dwight.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Sorry but all of Bron's MVPs are well deserved.

'88 Jordan. 50 wins.
    Good call there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness 9
    I appreciate you answering the question.

It must be noted that you reached back to KAJ and Moses for a comparison.

So in modern day NBA or at least the last 20-25 years it hasnt happened.

And i know it was declining but Dwight and his same team i believe were in the finals 2 years before. So a big gap between Dwight and his next best teammate but it was a team built around him.
    Yeah, I don't see it happening either. And like the 88 Jordan season suggests, you would have to doing something crazy, although Malone in 82 was leading the league in rebounding and 2nd in scoring too in comparison.

Anyways, I think two major things that held Dwight Howard back from winning MVP: 1) His technical foul count. 2) That even his defensive rim protecting presence couldn't stop LeBron James from dropping 50+ points on his team. I think that will always hurt your chances for MVP when another candidate heavily outplays you.

1. Rose.
    2. Nash, one MVP max, and even that its debatable. He wasnt the only one who made teammates better, and some of them played defense too.
    3. AI.

All these MVPs were more about "the story" than a player. Great players, but there were de-facto better ones who were snubbed.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Source to this ?
    There is none, he's just making stuff up

Same guys gave it to him (Wilt) the year before then 2 years later gave it to Wilt 3 years in a row.

4 MVPs in 7 years isn't bad for a guy who the players supposedly don't like

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Good call there too.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either. And like the 88 Jordan season suggests, you would have to doing something crazy, although Malone in 82 was leading the league in rebounding and 2nd in scoring too in comparison.

Anyways, I think two major things that held Dwight Howard back from winning MVP: 1) His technical foul count. 2) That even his defensive rim protecting presence couldn't stop LeBron James from dropping 50+ points on his team. I think that will always hurt your chances for MVP when another candidate heavily outplays you.
    I mentioned those two incidents in an earlier thread. Lebron punked Dwight Howard when his MVP talk was at its peak. Lebron talked about Dwight's boss (forgot if it was team president or GM) and said when he comes to town he was going let his boss know about it and then dropped 52 points on DH and company. DH knew it was a punk and hasn't been friendly with Lebron since. Orlando's GM, breaks the team up because they lack the gusto to make a stand for their boss. So one MVP candidate pretty much takes out another. His team was taken apart because they didn't make a strong stand. You just can't be an MVP in that situation. Then Lebron nominated Rose as MVP. http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

After the All star break seven teams were in a tight cluster. Alot of people get MVP talk in January but it shakes its self out in March/April. Howard was strong early on but was barely a lit candle at the end having lost most of the big games with elite teams while Chicago dominated all of them and had the best record due to play in March/April. They didn't lose a game to the top 8 after Dec 8th and were winning games in the fourth quarter due to Rose's heroics. You can't finish weak. If it was a close game or a good team Orlando wasn't likely to win. Being unspectacular, not outstanding, losing and finishing weak is never going to get you an MVP. His getting suspended and his team having more chemistry without him hurt his chances as well.

The MVP voting wasn't close and it really wasn't a close race. DH wasn't liked by his coach, GM, peers, leaders in the sport and everybody was chiming in on it. He shouldn't have gotten the three or four votes he got - but Orlando press had to give him some support in hopes he might stay. I hope you all understand that. He would have been shut out if his contract wasn't nearly over. Even on this board very few people were saying Howard for MVP. But looking back people want to make the study of team falling apart look like most valuable material.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9
    So what about the fact that Lebron joined the Heat, and Chris Bosh, and they only jumped from 47-58?

You go right to the stat sheet but why? More important than those stats is what the MVP almost exclusively is awarded upon...

BEING THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM W/ THE BEST RECORD.

Its really that simple guys.

And Ill argue right now that w/ out Derrick Rose in 2010-11 the Bulls might miss the playoffs too w/ Boozer and Noah missing a combined 57 games. And if the Bulls still made the playoffs in this fantasy world we are in speaking in right now, Derrick Rose is the difference between a 1 seed and 62 wins and a team winning 40 something and being 7-8th seed.

Dwight Howard was on a 52 win team. Has anyone on a 52 win team ever won MVP?

Rose and the Bulls also went 3-1 that year against the Heat in the regular season which helped his MVP votes to some people.

The fact that DWade was the 2-3rd best player in the league in 2010-11 and Bosh was a franchise big man(at least at the time) and the Heat couldn't win 60 is just another reason Lebron doesn't deserve it.

Derrick Rose had 0 all stars on his team that year.

Lebron James had 2 all-starters.

We good here?
    Ha, ha, You too Good... here.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    And players could not vote for guys on their own team.

Biggest thing I see on a quick scan is Boston went 60-20 that season including 8-4 against Wilt's team
    Naaaah, the nation was transfixed with numbers at the time. The third best record was good enough for MVP as Chamberlain team had a worse record his rookie year. This year was right along with Mantle and Maris going for 61 which took the headlines from the threat of a nuclear war. That Wilt year made Ruth's year look like a joke in comparison - that was some Paul Bunyan mythological stuff there. And this winning thing as the primary force wasn't in effect just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Suguru101
    As a LeBron supporter who thinks Kobe should have won in 2009... I don't see how you could argue anyone over LeBron in 2013. I mean, in 2012 maybe you could say Durant because he won more games, but Bron should have won.

But in 2013? He was the most worthy. Tell me why you don't think so Wilds, i'd like to hear your argument.
    He is a dumbshit troll, how do you people not know this by now? Fresh Kid is a TROLL.

Anyway, back to the thread:

Rose in 11, Nash in 06, AI in 01 come to mind.

NBA Superstar

Who do you think won the MVP over other who deserved it more?

For me, it has to be Nash over Kobe in '06.

Discuss.

Yep, with the GOAT coach they looked like this:

Record: 45-37

Lost NBA Western Conference First Round versus Phoenix Suns

Sounds like robbery to me.

clown

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

clown
    Phil played on the team? The Lakers were a pretty shitty team.
    Last edited by aj1987; 09-17-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Decent playground baller

1962 NBA MVP hands down.

Wilt Chamberlain: 50.4 ppg - 25.7 reb - 2.4 ast - .506 FG - 100 points game -

And they give the MVP trophy to Bill Russell (18.9 ppg, 23.6 reb)...

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

clown
    and that has to do with the MVP award how?

Local High School Star

In my opinion, Nash is probably the worst MVP of all time. He's a nice player and a future hall of famer, but 2 time MVP? lol...give me a break.