Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Richard Sherman goes off the deep end #madatSkipBayless

Yea Skip does come off as a grown man who is passionate about sports, knows a good bit about them (he has followed them for decades as career, even if he comes across like a reg fan sometimes) BUT is still insecure about athletes cuz he never had the talent to be anything.

He's prolly the guy who STLL has bedtime slumber dreams of being an NBA star, All Pro running back, etc. and kills him when he awakens that he was a non factor as an athlete.

Truth be told, he isn't even a cut above any of the sports people on television. Y'all remember when Mark Cuban came on the show and intelligently, calmly sonned the shit out of Skip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkVnlA9CJo

Made Skip look like your everyday, assumptive dumbass fan who has no idea what an in situation strategy is actually like from the outside but still has a platform to voice whatever ignorance comes into his mind
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 12-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Yeah, but let's be real, is it THAT bad?

Why shouldn't he be a bit salty? He praised Durant to high heaven and then Durant clowned him for no reason. How is he supposed to act? His entire show is based on personal opinion. These are not facts. It's sports. He's allowed to be bias.
    If Bayless can have a bold negative opinion of someone, so can Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    Yea Skip does come off as a grown man who is passionate about sports, knows a good bit about them (he has followed them for decades as career, even if he comes across like a reg fan sometimes) BUT is still insecure about athletes cuz he never had the talent to be anything.

He's prolly the guy who STLL has bedtime slumber dreams of being an NBA star, All Pro running back, etc. and kills him when he awakens that he was a non factor as an athlete.

Truth be told, he isn't even a cut above any of the sports people on television. Y'all remember when Mark Cuban came on the show and intelligently, calmly sonned the shit out of Skip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkVnlA9CJo

Made Skip look like your everyday, assumptive dumbass fan who has no idea what an in situation strategy is actually like from the outside but still has a platform to voice whatever ignorance comes into his mind
    I read an article about him that detailed his personal life. He is a huge creature of habit. He basically does the same things, and eats the same foods, on a daily/weekly basis, with very little deviation. He is obsessed about winning sports debates, and his prep work is insane whereas I get the impression that Stephen A.Smith kinda just shows up and goes with whatever. Lots of lingering childhood issues appear to have shaped him

Also, they say he is a lot different in person than he appears to be on TV (as most of those guys are, I'm sure).

Myself, I find the show to be entertaining. I have avenues to turn to if I want hardcore sports info. Occasionally, I like this format, though I don't, or could, watch it daily.

Here's the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...f2c_story.html

Thanks for the further insight mlh.

As odd as it seems to read a thorough article of a damn sports media figure, it makes sense to do in certain instances. This would be one of the considering how the general opinion of him in the internal workings of pro sports is a hated man. He's not really well thought of by the public either. Usually it's more of a mixed bag.

edit: Lol the above is basically the headline of the article

rank sentamentalist

i remember seeing that and thinking cuban came off knowing about as much about dissecting offensive and defensive strategy as bayless did. not to say he didn't have a point, which was that the typical skip (and espn) analysis of sports is really insubstantial psycho babble that mostly boils down to a fictional narrative of a player's demeanor or some complex that drives him to failure or success.

it was kinda like that jon stewart take down of crossfire, ever see that? when he goes on the show and tells carlson and the other guy that they aren't really talking about politics as much as they're talking about people talking about politics. skip is mostly the same, he doesn't talk about sports so much as he turns sports into reality tv.

and don't get me wrong, that's a talent in and of itself. not one anybody would take public pride in but it is the reason he's popular. i hate him as an analyst but i still like watching him an smith jaw with one another because its funny and kinda simple in an entertaining way.

rank sentamentalist

This would be one of the considering how the general opinion of him in the internal workings of pro sports is a hated man
    he's the villain dude. that's his role and he plays it very convincingly.

i actually just listened to a really neat interview of a producer for the canadian version of pawn stars. it was absolutely fascinating. reality tv is such a paradox given that 99% of the public disdains it and yet it gets amazing ratings. but that's because of how its made. "is it fake or is it real" isn't the question. it's mixed.

this producer talked about the casting of the shows in particular. the people who seek out these roles are definitely looking to build a name for themselves by becoming a larger than life character, but it isn't like method acting. the people who get the part are already "like that" to some extent. they exaggerate real aspects of their personality and that's how they get the part, because it's authentic to some extent. that's why reality tv is such an interesting name for the genre.

he said as soon as he saw snooki on jersey shore, he thought "this is a chick who is trying to make herself the face of the series". and that's exactly what she did, for better or for worse.

sorry for the digression but i think it's a good analogy for skip.