Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Default Re: red dead redemption

Did you unlock the 'Pay Homage' Achievement?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I played for almost four hours tonight, and did almost nothing. Probably three missions tops, and they were the mandatory ones to open up the map. After that I spent hours just riding around on a horse. I covered the entire perimeter of accessible map, and probably the bulk of the interior too. I killed tons of wildlife, found an assload of fauna. Did a few random pop up missions.
    Bought a bunch of crap I don't know how to use or why yet. Watched a rediculous movie. Helped a sheriff with a gang, then got caught up in a fire fight trying to return a safe to a bank, and for some reason an eyewitness didn't like seeing me kill a bunch of bank robbing bandits, and I had to pay off a bounty at the train station. There was more than enough money once I cracked the safe since they weren't going to take it back anyway, to cover it though.

Still not used to the shooting. The L2 to target, R2 to fire thing is just different enough from GTA, especially when on horseback, that I find myself putting the brakes on the horse. But I'm getting used to it. And tapping X to get the horse up to speed than holding it to lock it in is a little weird as a mechanic, but it's already starting to feel natural.

It's absolutely stunning to look at, the day to night cycle, the sunset and night sky is actually worth waiting for in certain locations. Incredible audio work too. The sound effects are awesome, and the surround mix is incredible.

So far, it's both awe inspiring in it's quality, and a lot of fun, and I haven't even done anything yet. So I'm pretty happy. I read it's gets a little tedious in the middle with the errand missions, but whatever for now.

I played one game online and didn't do well, but I had no idea what I was doing or who was who. It was free roam, and I thought we were going after a gang hideout, and then the got shot me in the back. It's not my thing, but I could see getting into it a little.

So much to do huh Thorp. I love that feeling. This game rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Did you unlock the 'Pay Homage' Achievement?
    Not yet dbag

really annoying bug on the ps3 version. all the characters keep going invisible on me. i still beat a few missions but multiplayer is pretty much impossible

Got some good multiplayer games in before my shit started going invisible. My best one was 17 - 4 in a FFA so far
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 05-19-2010 at 03:54 AM.

Local High School Star clipse026's Avatar

Haven't had any errors so far on the PS3 version. I've beeen doing mostly single player and honestly like a few people have said, I haven't really done much of the real missions. I watched the movie in Armidillo, so ridiculous. Right after I got out of the theater there was a gang of bandits shooting up the town. I managed to kill all of them. After popping a few with dead eye they started running . It felt like I was in a movie or something. I walked out behind the last guy and blew him off his horse then started opeing on them all. So much fun. Anybody else manage to take down the group that terrorizes the town? Also the finishing moves when you're up close are pretty awesome. Some guy robbed the general store and it said kill him or try and take him alive. I chased him for a bit and slowed him with a shot in teh leg and when I got close he turned around on me and started shooting. I was so close that I grabbed him and put the gun under his chin and blew his brains out! Pretty awesome stuff. Tons of fun so far and just like Thorp, I've done pretty much nothing in teh game.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I haven't seen any real tech problems. Character went a little ghosty when I got caught up in some brush once, but I think it was just because of the way the camera got caught up behind him, so he goes semi clear to give you a view. I have gotten caught in stuff like that a couple times.

I watched that movie too. Rediculous. But there were no bandits in the town when I was there. I wonder if they're the same group that stole the safe from the bank. Because I found those guys in the southwestern part of the map, and after killing them had to return the safe back to Armadillo. Which I screwed up because someone saw me kill them. They marked the eyewitness on the map, but I didn't get to him in time. I don't know what I would need to do to him. Anyway, they put a 20 dollar bounty on me, and you can just pay it off yourself at any trainstation.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

This game is sick!! Like most, I have not done much of anything. I have shot a bunch of animals. I was walking around and some dude asked for my help, then tried to steal my horse. I shot him in the back for trying to rob me and got a $40 bounty on me. That is a bit weird but oh well. I helped the Sherrif, that's pretty much it and when I was riding around I found some farmer trying to rescue his daughter from a gang. A bull was walking around and kept charging me after the fight. A lady in town lost her son, so I am going off trying to get him back. I love this game so far. No idea about the majority of the items yet...I sold all my pelts etc.

For anyone playing the 360 version, when riding a horse, you hit whatever button (X I think) to get the horse to go faster, is there a button to maintain that speed? I know you can hold A to ride the same speed as a companion, but when I am just riding around, I kick my horse to get rolling, but he always slows down to a trot after a while. So I just have to keep kicking him (which I thought the tutorial said was a speed burst).

I LOVE the music and sound effects in this game. I was a little worried that the music would be bland since unlike GTA there are no cars which means no radios, but the way the music kind of automatically compliments whatever you are doing is great.

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    This game is sick!! Like most, I have not done much of anything. I have shot a bunch of animals. I was walking around and some dude asked for my help, then tried to steal my horse. I shot him in the back for trying to rob me and got a $40 bounty on me. That is a bit weird but oh well. I helped the Sherrif, that's pretty much it and when I was riding around I found some farmer trying to rescue his daughter from a gang. A bull was walking around and kept charging me after the fight. A lady in town lost her son, so I am going off trying to get him back. I love this game so far. No idea about the majority of the items yet...I sold all my pelts etc.

For anyone playing the 360 version, when riding a horse, you hit whatever button (X I think) to get the horse to go faster, is there a button to maintain that speed? I know you can hold A to ride the same speed as a companion, but when I am just riding around, I kick my horse to get rolling, but he always slows down to a trot after a while. So I just have to keep kicking him (which I thought the tutorial said was a speed burst).

you have to press it in medium intervals a bunch of us were playing it last night and everyone was mashing the button and thats no bueno. if you just keep taping it every 4-5 seconds you can go fast for a long time with no "overheating" the horse

Anyone getting network errors trying to lay multiplayer? I keep getting kicked off and returned to single player. Ah well. I'll mess with single player for now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Anyone getting network errors trying to lay multiplayer? I keep getting kicked off and returned to single player. Ah well. I'll mess with single player for now.
    You're not alone with that problem. It's been happening to me, and pretty much everyone else too. The private free roam lobbies will still work, and you can still rank up. I'm sure Rockstar is already working on a remedy for the problems the game has had(characters going invisible, connection problems).

Have you played a match of Gold Rush yet, Gobb? I played a match of it once last night and it was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    You're not alone with that problem. It's been happening to me, and pretty much everyone else too. The private free roam lobbies will still work, and you can still rank up. I'm sure Rockstar is already working on a remedy for the problems the game has had(characters going invisible, connection problems).

Have you played a match of Gold Rush yet, Gobb? I played a match of it once last night and it was a blast.
    I havent tried any game modes yet. I wanted to do that right now but I cant connect worth a damn. Unless I can go thru private free roam lobby and do it? Unsure.

Just did some single player free roaming killing animals. Wolves tried to attack me on horse. Had to lay em down! Wonder how hard it is to kill a Grizzly Bear. Wonder if your horse can get killed by animal attacks. Also wondering when i see birds circling in the air does that mean something is dead.

I'm going to try a game mode right now tho. See if shyt works.

Not even going to bother win online play for awhile until Rockstar gets settled in. I'm having a blast on single player mode though.

Right now I'm just trying to make money. Best way seems to be to run bounties and bring the guy in alive, which is relatively easy. You can also make quick money if you're good at poker. The cpu players are predictable and easy to read once you learn their style.

Finally played a free for all shootout. That was fun. I guess auto aim isnt disabled for multiplayer game mode matches? I didnt do bad. I was next to the last man standing at the start of the match. Killed 4 dudes in a row. The thing about auto aim is you can kill from quite a distance. Like I was getting shot and had no idea where from. Some cat up top inside a barn was picking people off. Maybe there are options I have to check that I can change.

There is so much with this game. Not sure what to do, where to start, what to look at/for. This is a game you are getting your $$$$$ worth. Lookin at leaderboards some are taking this a bit serious.

I gotta see if modded controllers are helpful here. One of the dudes on my friends list has one. He has 232 kills 53 assists. But also 232 deaths. Unsure how his modded controller is aiding him. Maybe with auto aim on it doesnt.

Anyone join a posse yet to see what its like? In free mode i chased some guy and killed him off his horse. Felt bad. But i was annoyed that when i joined free mode i tried lookin at options and here it is some gun happy cowboy is killing me. Like f*ck off for a second geeze. GTA4 u had an option in free mode to set prefererances if u want to be killed or not. Anyone had an idea if thats available? I keep getting booted off the multiplayer when i try to check stuff.

Sidenote: Anyone leap into the Bull pen yet?

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Finally played a free for all shootout. That was fun. I guess auto aim isnt disabled for multiplayer game mode matches? I didnt do bad. I was next to the last man standing at the start of the match. Killed 4 dudes in a row. The thing about auto aim is you can kill from quite a distance. Like I was getting shot and had no idea where from. Some cat up top inside a barn was picking people off. Maybe there are options I have to check that I can change.

There is so much with this game. Not sure what to do, where to start, what to look at/for. This is a game you are getting your $$$$$ worth. Lookin at leaderboards some are taking this a bit serious.

I gotta see if modded controllers are helpful here. One of the dudes on my friends list has one. He has 232 kills 53 assists. But also 232 deaths. Unsure how his modded controller is aiding him. Maybe with auto aim on it doesnt.

Anyone join a posse yet to see what its like? In free mode i chased some guy and killed him off his horse. Felt bad. But i was annoyed that when i joined free mode i tried lookin at options and here it is some gun happy cowboy is killing me. Like f*ck off for a second geeze. GTA4 u had an option in free mode to set prefererances if u want to be killed or not. Anyone had an idea if thats available? I keep getting booted off the multiplayer when i try to check stuff.

Sidenote: Anyone leap into the Bull pen yet?
    KDR farmers and noobs that are desperate for a kill will do that. Shit is disrespectful. If you ran into me, I see you AFK, I'd let you go. Wait until I see you start trotting away and snipe the shit outta you.