Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default So is beating your 4 yr old kid

whether its disciplining him or whatever, as bad as hitting your wife?

2:31 PM PT -- The Vikings have issued a statement saying ... "The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson."

"At this time, we will defer further questions to Adrian’s attorney Rusty Hardin."
    update-grey-gray-bar
    Minnesota Vikings superstar Adrian Peterson has been indicted for child abuse in North Montgomery County, TX ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Sources connected to Peterson tell us ... the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota who was visiting Adrian back in May at AP's home in Texas.

We're told the child returned home to his mother in Minn. who noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor. A short time later, the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Adrian.

Child Protective Services confirms it is working on a case involving Peterson. Multiple sources tell us the alleged victim is a 4-year-old boy.

Peterson was indicted in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child, this according to MyFOX Houston 26.

Peterson missed Vikings team practice yesterday -- though the team explained it as a "veteran's day." Peterson did attend practice today and was said to be laughing and joking on the field.

Earlier today, Peterson posted a message on Twitter -- though it's unclear if it's related to the case.

"People understand that if you are on God's course and suppose to have that position and man decides to remove you know that God will remove everyone to place you rightfully! You matter!"

"Its your season! Weapons may form but won’t prosper! God has you covered don’t stress or worry!"

Story developing ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3D8qTUT34

The NFL can't catch a break. Wonder how Goodell is going to handle this one
    Last edited by Godzuki; 09-12-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Good college starter

Default Re: So is beating your 4 yr old kid

Its worse. A kid is even more vulnerable than a woman. Lets see what happens.

NBA rookie of the year

totally depends on how he hit the kid.

If he spanked him no problem.

If he punched the kid in the face, problem

If the kid has cigarette burns serious problem

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

We need more information to make an informed opinion.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    We need more information to make an informed opinion.
    I think you are confused. This is ISH.

Evidently he was using a switch on his kid:

http://nypost.com/2014/09/12/adrian-...y-case-report/

Pretty beta of AP if it's true.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I honestly believe in hitting kids. I wish I was hit more as a kid. ( I needed more discipline as a kid) Taking away cellphones, ipads, videogames, what have you is not going to do shit. That's why my generation (30) is full of so many p.ussies whining at their shrinks, on antidepressants and anxiety medications (and this future generation growing up will be be worse) while my grandfathers generation was going to war and then coming back and raising their children. My parents generation was the beginning of the end when they stopped holding children as accountable for their actions and got soft.

I remember on the way to school when I was 10-12 and my grandpa was taking me to school and I smarted off and he back handed me right in the mouth (and he wore this big damn ring) and split my lip open. Did I die? no. Did I go cry to child services? no. I did stop mouthing off though, lol. I needed more of that from my mom and dad.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 09-12-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Depends on what happened. Lot of details are strange. I don't think we have details to figure out what happened.

Generally in life it's not a good idea to physically hurt people who are smaller and weaker than you. Very little can come of it that's positive. Note: I've whacked my kids hard on the backside, i've given my son a smack off the top of his head too. Especially if they put themselves or others in danger. But if you're a big guy, going to get a stick to hit a 4 year old with, i don't get that. What would warrant that?

Whacking your kid because they misbehave can be accomplished without a literal beating. There's a huge way in between those two things.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Children need disciplining. I'm glad my father spanked me. Made me a better person. A respectful person. I will do the same with my children, but I will be more patient. Spanking would come as a last resort after talking to them a few times and they not heeding. You discipline out of love. Also you don't need to go overboard with switches and things that will scar the children that is abuse.

I have no problem with spanking when it's needed. 4 years old seems a little young to be receiving physical punishment though. Kids don't usually start talking back until they're at least 6ish.

I was hit with a switch a few times as a kid and while I am not totally anti switch; there's no excuse to hit a 4 year old 10 to 15 times with one.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I have no problem with spanking when it's needed. 4 years old seems a little young to be receiving physical punishment though. Kids don't usually start talking back until they're at least 6ish.
    6? Not true at all. My son is 16 months old and will raise his hand to hit you if you tell him "no." When he starts talking I'm sure he'll try to talk back; thats not a reason to hit him though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    I think you are confused. This is ISH.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    6? Not true at all. My son is 16 months old and will raise his hand to hit you if you tell him "no." When he starts talking I'm sure he'll try to talk back; thats not a reason to hit him though.

What I meant is that younger kids can typically be broken verbally, so they don't require physical punishment. Obviously ever kid is different, but I find it hard to imagine you need to physically punish a 4 year old to make your point.

Don't have a problem with spanking but it can lose its effectiveness when it is done because a parent is overwhelmed by the kid and done out of frustrations, agressiveness, anger, etc. I wouldn't necarrily want to showcase those negative emotions to children at that age.

BTW, it would be helarious to see partners in relationship spank the opposing partner
    Last edited by MMM; 09-13-2014 at 01:11 AM.