Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What do you think of Derozen?

^^ Is this dude (Interminator) retarded? Shaky midrange game? His midrange jumper is the best part of his game along with his ability to get to the rim. He may be somewhat of a project but I agree with Kmart that outside of Griffin he may very well be the player with the most upside in this draft and well worth the risk. Guys like Henderson, Evans, etc.. are probably more NBA ready but 2-3 years from now a guy like Henderson as an example will look like Joey Graham while Derozen could be a potential future all-star.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Derozan has a bad mid range game? Huh?

Derozan has a very good mid range shot with good form. He gets up high and releases the ball high and has shown he can shoot over defenders. He tends to fade quite a bit which is not good, but he still knocks them down so it works for him.

Not sure where people get the impression he can only hit open jumpers. he knocks them down with a hand in his face with good regularity.

It's not his jumpshot that is bad, it's his range but at least he has good form.

I think if you can get a guy with the potential of a Derozan with the 9th spot then you jump all over it.

This team is not built right now to win anything and needs a major overhaul imo so i think the Raps can be patient with a guy that has a chance to blossom into something special.

Derozan is an obvious pick at 9 if he is available imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Molson
    Derozan has a bad mid range game? Huh?

Derozan has a very good mid range shot with good form. He gets up high and releases the ball high and has shown he can shoot over defenders. He tends to fade quite a bit which is not good, but he still knocks them down so it works for him.

Not sure where people get the impression he can only hit open jumpers. he knocks them down with a hand in his face with good regularity.

It's not his jumpshot that is bad, it's his range but at least he has good form.

I think if you can get a guy with the potential of a Derozan with the 9th spot then you jump all over it.

This team is not built right now to win anything and needs a major overhaul imo so i think the Raps can be patient with a guy that has a chance to blossom into something special.

Derozan is an obvious pick at 9 if he is available imo.
    If Derozan gets NBA 3 pt range, which many scouts say he has, he'll be deadly because his slashing game and his midrange game are so effective. He'll definatly has the potential of an all-star but the problem is that he has the bust potential of a Green Green. If it were me i would take the risk. Derozan proved to everyone that he could play at the end of the year, beating Arizona St. in the Pac-10 championship and pulling off a first round upset in the NCAA 64 tounrney and near.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FinishHim!
    ^^ Is this dude (Interminator) retarded? Shaky midrange game? His midrange jumper is the best part of his game along with his ability to get to the rim. He may be somewhat of a project but I agree with Kmart that outside of Griffin he may very well be the player with the most upside in this draft and well worth the risk. Guys like Henderson, Evans, etc.. are probably more NBA ready but 2-3 years from now a guy like Henderson as an example will look like Joey Graham while Derozen could be a potential future all-star.
    Its shaky.

If you watched him this season you would realize that sometimes he can stroke well and other times he misses a lot.
    His mid range shot is inconsistent, there is no debating that.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Raps worked out DeRozan today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=282133

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Its shaky.

If you watched him this season you would realize that sometimes he can stroke well and other times he misses a lot.
    His mid range shot is inconsistent, there is no debating that.
    Derozen's midrange game is on point.. And even if you consider it off an on, I believe that an NBA jumper is something that players develop if they are willing to put in the work. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and a lot of others didn't come into the league as the most consistent shooters but through hard work, training and practice they developed it over time. He's got all the other tools, pretty good defender, great athlete, I think a jumper is the least of our problems.

I can see why he gets VC comparisons.....he even talks and sorta looks like VC. But I honestly think he's just gonna be an Iggy type of player. Nothing wrong with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebo
    I can see why he gets VC comparisons.....he even talks and sorta looks like VC. But I honestly think he's just gonna be an Iggy type of player. Nothing wrong with that though.
    Even if he did turn into an Iggy type, i'd be ecstatic. Although I wouldn't like that lineup if he was starting alongside Delfino.

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    Even if he did turn into an Iggy type, i'd be ecstatic. Although I wouldn't like that lineup if he was starting alongside Delfino.
    He certainly has the potential to turn into Iggy, maybe even better. I think of him more of Josh Howard though with his ability to slash.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

I seem more Miles and Mason then Iggy and VC....but who knows. I hope I am wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    He certainly has the potential to turn into Iggy, maybe even better. I think of him more of Josh Howard though with his ability to slash.
    Howard at least has range and came into the NBA with a higher basketball IQ after 4 years at Wake Forest.

Thats why Howard produced early on in the NBA, unlike DeRozan who may need the duration of his rookie contract before he produces the way the Raptors will need him to do so at either the 2 or 3 position.

I dont think you realize how much more of an all around player Igoudala was coming out of Arizona, he could penetrate, shoot, pass, rebound, play good defense.

The fact you passed on him for Aroujo is still one of the worst picks ever made.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I seem more Miles and Mason then Iggy and VC....but who knows. I hope I am wrong.
    I do too if we're only comparing those options. Derozan doesn't have the handles and playmaking abilities for others that Iguodala did/does.

I could see him as a better Desmond Mason which I would take in this weak draft at #9. I do think he has more star potential than some other guys being thrown around this pick (Henderson and Clark) which helps.

I've said it before that the Raptors need to hit a home run in this draft and get a borderline All-Star but if they simply end up with a decent starter, that's nothing to complain about.

The thing about Mason, is that he was a very very good to great college player....Oklahoma State I think? I remember watching him way back then and he was miles ahead of Derozen.

Personally, I see Derozen as maybe contributing in year 3, or once he's onto his next contract. I don't think Harden has much althletic ability and could be a bust. Jordan Hill looks like he too could bust and basically be a Mikki Moore (not a good thing). This draft is gross. Unless Holliday or Evans fall to us, I hope we move the pick.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    The thing about Mason, is that he was a very very good to great college player....Oklahoma State I think? I remember watching him way back then and he was miles ahead of Derozen.

Personally, I see Derozen as maybe contributing in year 3, or once he's onto his next contract. I don't think Harden has much althletic ability and could be a bust. Jordan Hill looks like he too could bust and basically be a Mikki Moore (not a good thing). This draft is gross. Unless Holliday or Evans fall to us, I hope we move the pick.
    Moving the pick is already not an option since Colangelo said he is thinking of picking up a 2nd - 1st rounder several times.

Quote Originally Posted by bonez26
    Moving the pick is already not an option since Colangelo said he is thinking of picking up a 2nd - 1st rounder several times.
    GMs says a lot of things. I am sure moving the pick is one of many options.