Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Default Re: The Official Sega Dreamcast 10 Year Birthday Thread

Dreamcast will still remain one of my favorite consoles ever. So many awesome games.

Skies of Arcadia - My favorite RPG EVER!! Heroes were awesome but Ramirez is in my opinion the best villain ever! (Sephiroth comes in second)

It had the best world/ setting in an rpg ever. being able to fly around the world finding discoveries and fighting other ships and large monsters.

It handled and perfected so many cliches and gave the game its own identity.

Played Pinta's quest mini game on the VMU alot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPWHRKzlYo

jet Grind radio

I have to agree with the poster above that said Dreamcast is getting a little too much attention on this board.

It was a good system, but it had it's flaws. For one thing, the memory cards were a joke. A game like NBA2k or NFL2k took up an ENTIRE memory stick. The controllers, while not terrible, were not on the level of PS2 (of course, I'm a big PS controller fan). The system had a lot of entertaining games... but it had it's shares of shallow games as well. PS2 could also play DvD's... but in fairness, I could play VCD's on my Dreamcast as well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the Dreamcast... but let's not go overboard... and let's not forget the biggest problem with Dreamcast... it's anti-copyright protection (or lack thereof).

Dreamcast was the first system where I could just download games, burn them to disc, and play them on my system without any software or hardware manipulation. I own over 100 Dreamcast games, almost all free... and people wonder why the Dreamcast failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    jet Grind radio
    I had Jet Set Radio (the jap version) and Jet Grind Radio (the US version).

What's funny is, I actually dated a girl whose father did the vocal translations for the game... man she was a hottie too.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I have to agree with the poster above that said Dreamcast is getting a little too much attention on this board.

It was a good system, but it had it's flaws. For one thing, the memory cards were a joke. A game like NBA2k or NFL2k took up an ENTIRE memory stick. The controllers, while not terrible, were not on the level of PS2 (of course, I'm a big PS controller fan). The system had a lot of entertaining games... but it had it's shares of shallow games as well. PS2 could also play DvD's... but in fairness, I could play VCD's on my Dreamcast as well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the Dreamcast... but let's not go overboard... and let's not forget the biggest problem with Dreamcast... it's anti-copyright protection (or lack thereof).

Dreamcast was the first system where I could just download games, burn them to disc, and play them on my system without any software or hardware manipulation. I own over 100 Dreamcast games, almost all free... and people wonder why the Dreamcast failed?
    You could do the same thing on the Ps2 with a hard drive, but that didn't hurt them in the least.

RP 4 lyfe

lol!!!

jet grind radio = GOAT!!1

Very good NBA starter

For it's time I thought the Dreamcast was badass.

Three games I played a sh!tload of:

NBA2K
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    Crazy Taxi

National High School Star

what doomed the dreamcast

1. poor exclusives
    2. poor third party support
    3. last but most important. they switched the awesome sega saturn controller to that crap shoot.

that sega saturn controller is the god of all controllers for fighting games.

The controller on Dreamcast was annoying, but the graphics were insane.

And it was also really easy to do this with a ps1, ps2 or Xbox. Your point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    And it was also really easy to do this with a ps1, ps2 or Xbox. Your point ?
    Taking apart your system and sodering on a mod chip isn't as easy as just dling and burning a game like a music CD.

Now, don't get me wrong, I had my PS1 and PS2 modded (for 30bucks)... but the Dreamcast was on another level of easy to get, free games.

All of my friends with Dreamcast would just borrow my games when they wanted to, something they couldn't do with my PS1 or PS2 games.

I remember the first time I hooked my friend up with some burned Dreamcast games. He didn't believe you didn't have to mod the system or the alter the software, so he actually brought his Dreamcast over to my house to make sure the games would work on his system.

Initially you did need a software boot CD... but crackers quickly learned to just install the bootCD in the downloads.

As for the PS2 HD system... I've never seen anyone with that. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just saying the common person didn't have a HD system for their PS2. I have tons of friends with PS3's... and I'm the only one with a PS3 HD system (my brother has a 360 HD system thanks to me).

I'm not trying to claim bad copyright protection is the only reason Dreamcast failed, but it certainly didn't help. I think the failure of the Dreamcast had more to do with the success of the PS1 and PS2... and the failure of Sega's previous systems. Reputation goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    The controller on Dreamcast was annoying, but the graphics were insane.
    You play Xbox right? Thats the dreamcast controller.

Taking apart your system and sodering on a mod chip isn't as easy as just dling and burning a game like a music CD.

Now, don't get me wrong, I had my PS1 and PS2 modded (for 30bucks)... but the Dreamcast was on another level of easy to get, free games.

All of my friends with Dreamcast would just borrow my games when they wanted to, something they couldn't do with my PS1 or PS2 games.

I remember the first time I hooked my friend up with some burned Dreamcast games. He didn't believe you didn't have to mod the system or the alter the software, so he actually brought his Dreamcast over to my house to make sure the games would work on his system.

Initially you did need a software boot CD... but crackers quickly learned to just install the bootCD in the downloads.

As for the PS2 HD system... I've never seen anyone with that. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just saying the common person didn't have a HD system for their PS2. I have tons of friends with PS3's... and I'm the only one with a PS3 HD system (my brother has a 360 HD system thanks to me).

I'm not trying to claim bad copyright protection is the only reason Dreamcast failed, but it certainly didn't help. I think the failure of the Dreamcast had more to do with the success of the PS1 and PS2... and the failure of Sega's previous systems. Reputation goes a long way.
    Obviously your friends weren't in the know, because I knew nearly 10 people with hard drives on their ps2. Plus myself. It was even easier than the Dreamcast because you didn't have to download anything and you didn't have to burn anything. Just stick a game in and hit copy. It was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    You play Xbox right? Thats the dreamcast controller.

And I don't like X-Box either. Not only is the controller annoying, but it kept locking as well.

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelv05
    Haha. I forgot all about the Memory Packs for those things. I remember the good memory packs had like animations on it for each different game. Powerstone 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games and I used to play so much 2k on that thing. The 3d Sonic games and Shenmue on that where pretty fun too. I had so many games for my Dreamcast.
    powerstone! fu[COLOR="black"]c[/COLOR]k yeah