Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default About to apply for my first job ever

At a local supermarket. Any tips and advice my ISHiots?

Banned

Default Re: About to apply for my first job ever

Be yourself and congrats for working while in high school.

I had a paper route when I was in high school. Made $300 a month at the time and it was a lot then. Easy money.

Too bad I spent my money on original Air Jordan's, Polo's and Tommy Hilfiger crap.

Banned

do you mean your writing a resume or you have an interview already? what happened with the girl who hugs you?

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    do you mean your writing a resume or you have an interview already? what happened with the girl who hugs you?
    Resume. I've just been texting that girl now. Nothing really... happened. Maybe she's waiting for me to make a move idk.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

go to restaurants and bus tables.. not only will you make more money but in a year or two youll be able to move to waiter and make triple what youd make in a supermarket.

I also bagged groceries at 16 for my first job. Definitely sucks dick, but I imagine it's better than fast food.

Banned

I started working in a supermarket when I was 14, over here you do work experience for school, I did that then asked the boss if they needed anyone else for full work. Paid much better than all the fast food places and restaurants around here did and I was in the produce section or unloading and taking in orders. Was easy. I mainly cut up fruit and topped up things when they were low, didn't have to bag groceries but would occasionally help old people with their trolleys to their cars.

Have you worked anywhere before? Even if it's family friends or something? For my first resume I had a family friend write up a written reference on his screen door companies letter head saying I'd helped him out now and then and I had good character. Some sort of reference would help I'd think. Other than that just make it neat, legible and clear.

I think for jobs like this it's more just a fact if they need someone and if your presentable and seem like you are willing to work and learn what they need you to do. If they do interview you you don't need to lie or claim you know everything, just make it clear your willing to learn and try to help out however you can. Also don't be afraid to ask them questions too, it shows your actually interested in the job and attentive.

Don't be upset if you don't get the job, best way at this age with no experience is to just apply to as many places as possible or see if anyone you know knows someone who works somewhere that just needs some help, any job will be good to put on your resume later.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    go to restaurants and bus tables.. not only will you make more money but in a year or two youll be able to move to waiter and make triple what youd make in a supermarket.
    The nearest restaurant is like 30-45 minutes away. It's basically down to a grocery store or fast food.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I also bagged groceries at 16 for my first job. Definitely sucks dick, but I imagine it's better than fast food.
    Yep. Better than fast food I bet.

I started working in a supermarket when I was 14, over here you do work experience for school, I did that then asked the boss if they needed anyone else for full work. Paid much better than all the fast food places and restaurants around here did and I was in the produce section or unloading and taking in orders. Was easy. I mainly cut up fruit and topped up things when they were low, didn't have to bag groceries but would occasionally help old people with their trolleys to their cars.

Have you worked anywhere before? Even if it's family friends or something? For my first resume I had a family friend write up a written reference on his screen door companies letter head saying I'd helped him out now and then and I had good character. Some sort of reference would help I'd think. Other than that just make it neat, legible and clear.

I think for jobs like this it's more just a fact if they need someone and if your presentable and seem like you are willing to work and learn what they need you to do. If they do interview you you don't need to lie or claim you know everything, just make it clear your willing to learn and try to help out however you can. Also don't be afraid to ask them questions too, it shows your actually interested in the job and attentive.

Don't be upset if you don't get the job, best way at this age with no experience is to just apply to as many places as possible or see if anyone you know knows someone who works somewhere that just needs some help, any job will be good to put on your resume later.
    Thanks, I haven't worked anywhere before (not like officially), but I have done work for people for free or just for lunch. I figure I can put in all the stuff I participate in and the fact I'm on honor roll and stuff like that. Definitely won't lie in an interview.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I didn't mind being a checker at a grocery store, not sure about bag boy as others are ragging on.

Anyway, since you have no work experience, you'll have to make sure they are convinced that you'll work hard even without that experience once it comes to the interview. You'll have to draw from school (and volunteer experiences if you have any) as demonstrations of your ability to work hard and work as a team member. They may ask you hypothetical questions in the interview how you would handle customers asking you questions. Get a friend or parent to give you a mock interview for practice. I can't remember my first interview so well since it has been so long, but find a friend who recently interviewed for their first job and ask what questions they were asked.

Your first job at 40? What the hell have you been doing all your life?

Try not to OD on all that free ice cream and yoghurt.

Like I did when I worked in a supermarket at 16.

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

When asked why you want the job, say "Cuz moneys gets puzzy, bish."

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I didn't mind being a checker at a grocery store, not sure about bag boy as others are ragging on.

Anyway, since you have no work experience, you'll have to make sure they are convinced that you'll work hard even without that experience once it comes to the interview. You'll have to draw from school (and volunteer experiences if you have any) as demonstrations of your ability to work hard and work as a team member. They may ask you hypothetical questions in the interview how you would handle customers asking you questions. Get a friend or parent to give you a mock interview for practice. I can't remember my first interview so well since it has been so long, but find a friend who recently interviewed for their first job and ask what questions they were asked.
    I'll have to practice. My social skills aren't that bad, but they're definitely not good. I can be a pretty hard worker I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufuspaul
    Your first job at 40? What the hell have you been doing all your life?
    rufus we went over this

This f orum sucks dick

Dafuq do you need to write a resume for a job at a supermarket?