Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: can someone explain the intricacies of the triangle offense to me?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Just to get it right. You got the regular triangle on the strong side with the center up top, the PG in the strong side corner and the two swingmen on both wings. The strong side swingman cuts along the baseline, the weakside moves towards the top and if there isnt a viable scoring situation with those moves, the high post player will make a move towards either side and the only viable help is from the former strong side corner or the weakside wing? Is that it? Basically some sort of a triangle morphed into a 2-1-2 situation with two up top, a high post and two corner/wing players?

If that, I see how KG would fit well in there, since he can shoot it well from there, take a long stride towards the basket or pass it out if he gets the double team.
    I'm ending up with my strongside triangle being PG (Rondo) in the corner, my Center (Perkins) at the strong wing, almost in the high post, and my PF (Garnett) on the block. This is awkward, because it requires at least one of my bigs to by a good ball handler, at least in terms of decision making.
    There's almost an infinite number of ways to get into that arangement. You can run pick and pop with Pierce and Rondo, then run a flare screen to the weakside from Perkins.

The advantage to this, as opposed to the usual triangle, is that it leaves both wings (Pierce and Ray Allen) on the weakside. This seriously diminishes the quality of help over there, as there isn't going to be much size. It also increases the firepower over there. So much so in fact, that the weak side really becomes the focal point of the offense. That's a really strange idea.

It only works if you have post player who's adapt enough a passer to make those cross court passes, and he has to play a bit off of the box in order to pull help away from those two after the ball gets over there. Shaq sits almost too deep in the post, and Jordan may be too small to ask to consistently make those passes.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The big secret behing the triangle is that it's not rocket science. It's mostly just a set around a post player, that's only real consistent requirement is to get the ball into him. After that, it's just a fill of those spots.

The trouble is that it requires a great deal of feel among the players in it. It rarely has specific call outs. It feeds off of a series of cuts, and off the ball screens, from which the post player essentially runs the offense, while the movement pulls attention away from him. Those cuts aren't called out like a specific play, they're much more instinctive. And that's why it's hard to run. You need at least three guys with some common ideas about how to approach a possession, without speaking. It can be done because the movement is pretty basic. It's mostly a combo of those cross cuts, and some flare screens, with some curl action run on the weakside, or from strong to weak. I ran some triangle in college, and always liked it.

Of the two pro triangle's that most people are used to, they're a little decieving. The Laker triangle fed off of a guy who was nearly impossible to stop at that time in the post. Those Laker teams weren't really displaying the triangle the way it's taught. The post play was much deeper, and the off ball stuff was more stagnant, mostly because of the quickness with which Shaq made plays, because he was so deep. There's not a ton of difference between the Laker triangle at that time, and the 4 out 1 in scheme Rudy T ran with the Rockets.
    The Bull triangle was really genius. It was extremely unique in the way it was built. It was obviously built around the fact that Jordan was the best post scorer in basketball at the time. But it was further out than usual. It relied on even more strong side movement than usual, because Jordan was generally going to back out. And the weakside moved less, and was more pure shooter, to keep the help honest. It really required a special big, who could function on the strong side, but not in the post. So he needed to be able to pass, catch, move well, make decisions, and read his teammates, all while being willing to be that good and not have the ego to want those post touches. That's a tough player to find. Without that guy, you get both bigs on the weakside, now they both need to be able to shoot, and even then there's bigger help coming over to double. It's a fascinating lesson in team building.
    Part of the Celtic problem with trying to run it like that was that they don't have a center to play the weakside. That big was going to be an automatic double every time. And with both Pierce and Allen on the strong side, you'd leave Rondo on the weakside too, leaving even less shooting.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

One of the best pure basketball threads this message board has ever seen

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

its basically running horns a lot with your best post passer receiving the ball or running diamond with your 2 left players out of triangle. spacing is also very important. so its kind of bad to use it against zone. Real zone.

if you have 2 good, smart post players it can turn into nightmare for defense with all back screens.
    Last edited by CeltsGarlic; 04-24-2013 at 11:39 AM.