Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bigass Poltical thread Part V: The Democratic Convention

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Well that was the whole Monica thing which was a GOP super smear.
    Something that had nothing to do with the man's JOB as being president.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    He wasn't a big part of the campaign. Al basically tried to hide him.
    Al Definitely wanted some distance* from Bill personally, but he still running on Clinton's policies. I believe his campaign slogan that year was "Same Policies Without the Blowjobs"

However, he wasn't pretending that Clinton didn't exist or that Clinton wasn't a Democrat like the Republicans starting doing about January 2009. The Bush was not a Conservative idea is my favorite delusion of recent years. Do you know the "No True Scotsman" fallacy?

* Joe Lieberman How many votes did that get you Al? Let's pick a Senator from a state we're going to win anyway who can't even beat Dick Cheney in a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Sad to agree this is true. Anyone who get Bush elected not once but twice is a genius. I voted for Gore and Kerry and could not believe the country was that STUPID putting Bush in to office both times.
    I voted for Gore too. Bill Clinton was partly to blame for his losing because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

In 2004 there was no way I was ever going to vote for a ticket that had John Edwards on it. I saw through him like seran wrap.

Actually, I think if Gore embraced Clinton he would have won. He would have done better in Florida. Gore overreacted to the Washington Media.

Also Lieberman. : Absolutely useless as VP.
    I was a Bill Bradley man in the primaries in 2000.

Did you sit it out or Did you vote for W?

How long was the Clinton speech? Kinda want to watch it if anyone has a link but i can pretty much guess its content already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    How long was the Clinton speech? Kinda want to watch it if anyone has a link but i can pretty much guess its content already.
    he went buck wild .. about 50 minutes

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Well that was the whole Monica thing which was a GOP super smear.
    Something that had nothing to do with the man's JOB as being president.
    You're right about it not having anything to do with the man's job but the president has a moral standard to uphold. It's a firable offense at many jobs to have sex, as a boss, with an intern.

Did you not see my point about the Rubes? Isn't that the very definition of folks who watch Sean Hannity? Yes, Bush still owns the ranch. Yes, he still uses it when it's useful, like promoting his book on the Sean Hannity show. Yes, he's still going to try to keep up the image Karl Rove created for him.

Were you expecting something like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9nnukr5rE
    Sooooooooooooooo.....what's up?

He still chills in Crawford whenever.

Anyways, summary of the national conventions:

Republicans spin a bunch of things. Democrats call them liars.
    Democrats spin a bunch of things. Republicans call them liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Anyways, summary of the national conventions:

Republicans spin a bunch of things. Democrats call them liars.
    Democrats spin a bunch of things. Republicans call them liars.
    And after all is said and done, the Democrats will win because they have the better candidate. Even you call Obama a liar, he's a great liar because he doesn't show it when he's speaking, on the other hand Romney just seems very phoney and seems like he can't hide the fact that most of what he's saying is bullsht just to get votes.

Seriously just look at him speaking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhfuioyI5Q

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    you're a fkn troll .. that's celebrating blacks exclusively .. not diversity .. are you ok with the gop celebrating 'whites' and passing out buttons saying something like 'vote white is the right way' ? .. I'm sure you would be defendng that by saying 'they're celebrating race dude'
    Last I check they have Latinos Asains etc all part of the party. Look at the people there. And I love how people such as yourself always over look the fact that Obama is HALF WHITE. They celebrate diversity but all u see and complain about are blacks??? F&ck off loser.
    Last edited by DirtySanchez; 09-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Content is only part it. Effective communication goes much deeper than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDhk3BHi6Q

Did you sit it out or Did you vote for W?

In 2004? I voted for W. I wasn't all that enthused about it but Kerry/Edwards was out of the question for me.

Interesting article on Clinton's speech as performance and how some of his best lines were when he went off his printed speech.

Bill Clinton used a teleprompter for his speech on Wednesday night. He didn't use it like the parade of other speakers used it, however — he didn't even use it as Michelle Obama used it for her great speech on Tuesday night, as the foundation for a display of human actuality, the basis for a proclamation of the reality of her being. No, he used it as John Coltrane used the chords of "My Favorite Things" — as a point of departure, and as an excuse for a show of virtuosity.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Lots of folks are pointing out the weirdness of this fact-check. I like what Talking Points Memo says:True, But Also, Lewinsky!

Here's Media Matters take on it.

The Associated Press's fact check of President Bill Clinton's DNC speech strained to find statements to check, and at one point attempted to fact-check one of Clinton's accurate assertions by bringing up Monica Lewinsky.

AP reporters Matt Apuzzo and Tom Raum claimed that Clinton repeatedly "cherry-picked facts or mischaracterized the opposition." Here's one of the "cherry-picked facts" or mischaracterizations that they identified:

CLINTON: "[The Romney] campaign pollster said, `We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact checkers.' Now that is true. I couldn't have said it better myself - I just hope you remember that every time you see the ad."
    This is a direct, verbatim quote from Romney pollster Neil Newhouse as he spoke at an ABC News panel in Tampa last week.

The AP fails to explain how this claim is a "cherry-picked" fact or a mischaracterization of "the opposition," and instead lays out "THE FACTS" this way:
    THE FACTS: Clinton, who famously finger-wagged a denial on national television about his sexual relationship with intern Monica Lewinsky and was subsequently impeached in the House on a perjury charge, has had his own uncomfortable moments over telling the truth. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky," Clinton told television viewers. Later, after he was forced to testify to a grand jury, Clinton said his statements were "legally accurate" but also allowed that he "misled people, including even my wife."
    That's the entirety of the AP's fact check of that Clinton statement: Clinton accurately quotes a Romney pollster, and AP responds by dredging up the Monica Lewinsky affair.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 09-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.