Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Provide proof.

yeah sure, a two word reply and i'll waste my time providing examples and links for you to ignore.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,986
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
yeah sure, a two word reply and i'll waste my time providing examples and links for you to ignore.

This might be the ultimate example of a cop-out.

I ask you to provide proof of your huge claim and you deny me this because of how many words I used to ask you?

This derserves a....





WWWOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
This might be the ultimate example of a cop-out.

i actually started to reply and i thought to myself "why am i doing this?", for all i know you don't care or you are just arguing for arguements sake. . i just don't see what is so hard about understanding and accepting evolution. its really not that difficult.

similarities and differences in genetic code between species
the fossil record
carbon dating
selective breeding

all provide evidence to evolution. its not some conspiracy to hold down religious belief.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,986
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i actually started to reply and i thought to myself "why am i doing this?", for all i know you don't care or you are just arguing for arguements sake. . i just don't see what is so hard about understanding and accepting evolution. its really not that difficult.

similarities and differences in genetic code between species
the fossil record
carbon dating
selective breeding

all provide evidence to evolution. its not some conspiracy to hold down religious belief.

So you agree that there is evidence supporting evolution, but on the other hand nothing that proves the existence of evolution.

I'm with you on that.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
So you agree that there is evidence supporting evolution, but on the other hand nothing that proves the existence of evolution.

I'm with you on that.

so its back to ISH semantics. you know what i meant.

i'll rephrase.

'all prove that evolution exists'

two words for you then.

disprove it.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
The problem is 95% of religiious people out there aren't what you tend to speak for. Go out to just about any church, and you will find WAY more religious people who take the Bible literally, way more than figuratively. What you tend to say i never see from most religious people. Most do not believe science can coexist with religious preachings where they tend to deny stuff like evolution or big bang, even dinosaurs, and things along those lines. Isn't that the whole reason why religious people tried to make Creationism a course in schools as an alternative to scientific thinking?

I just know a lot of how you justify religion here isn't what/how most religious people i see/know tend to see it.

i certainly understand the problem you outlined. i am not so sure it is quite 95%, but there is a vocal and zealous group that are bible literalists. these make a bad name for the those of us who arent bible literalists.

but the moderates are the majority in my opinion. it is just that many are lukewarm about their beliefs or are unable to intelligently articulate them to counter the evangelicals

many of these folks are indeed ant-intellectual in their faith and it sets up the culture clash which also plays well with the media who thrives on the "controversy"

lastly, i cannot understate the cultural war aspect that enters into many of these debates
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,986
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
so its back to ISH semantics. you know what i meant.

i'll rephrase.

'all prove that evolution exists'

two words for you then.

disprove it.


Let's replay the events of tonight.

1. You claim evolution is a fact.

2. I ask you to prove it.

3. You refuse to.

4. You ask me to prove a claim I haven't even supported since I was only asking you to prove your claim (when did I disagree with you? I simply asked you to prove it).

You see how this doesn't make sense? Me asking you to prove something should not be followed by you refusing, then by you asking me to prove something I didn't even defend instead.

Poor quality.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
1. You claim evolution is a fact.

yes

Quote:
2. I ask you to prove it.

in two words

Quote:
3. You refuse to.

i explained why

Quote:
4. You ask me to prove a claim I haven't even supported since I was only asking you to prove your claim (when did I disagree with you? I simply asked you to prove it).

a two word question from a guy who i don't know and whose motivation (for asking the question) could be anything.

what a whole lot of pointless. i suppose the "cop out" comment baited me. so i guess its my fault..
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #24
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Evolution doesn't really conflict with the biblical creation account, because these people are just using the wrong interpretation. They take everything from a human's perspective and take everything literally, which leads to this BS.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
Smokee
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,285
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Evolution doesn't really conflict with the biblical creation account, because these people are just using the wrong interpretation. They take everything from a human's perspective and take everything literally, which leads to this BS.


The biggest problem with you guys is there are way more religious people who take it literally. None i know are as 'contemporary' religious as a lot of you here tend to portray religious people as

Even where it matters, and the ones who bring religious issues into politics and law seem to be the ones who take the Bible literally
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Wow this is maddening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
The biggest problem with you guys is there are way more religious people who take it literally. None i know are as 'contemporary' religious as a lot of you here tend to portray religious people as
I'm not portraying religious people in any manner. I'm responding to these specific religious people in the video who are stupid.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy