Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default Wilt Chamberlain vs SHAQ

not sure why some posters think wilt > shaq.

wilt's play completely fell off in the playoffs and one of his two rings came from riding jerry west's coattails.

here are the facts:
    wilt = 23.6 points per 36 minutes; shaq= 24.6 points per 36 minutes
    -shaq scored more points per minute
    -shaq shot a higher fg%
    -shaq has taken 20+ fgas in TWO career seasons,both ending in scoring titles...while wilt jacked up 39.5 fgas per game in 62(also had a season where he missed 19FGA!!!)

again, in the playoffs, wilt was a 22.5 ppg scorer in 47.2 mpg - shaq = 24.3 ppg in 37.5 mpg in his playoff career.

shaq has a higher career fg% AND ft% in both the reg.season and playoffs, was a better postseason performer, finals performer and has more rings against better competition.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain vs SHAQ

1v1 gimme shaq

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    not sure why some posters think wilt > shaq.

wilt's play completely fell off in the playoffs and one of his two rings came from riding jerry west's coattails.

here are the facts:
    wilt = 23.6 points per 36 minutes; shaq= 24.6 points per 36 minutes
    -shaq scored more points per minute
    -shaq shot a higher fg%
    -shaq has taken 20+ fgas in TWO career seasons,both ending in scoring titles...while wilt jacked up 39.5 fgas per game in 62(also had a season where he missed 19FGA!!!)

again, in the playoffs, wilt was a 22.5 ppg scorer in 47.2 mpg - shaq = 24.3 ppg in 37.5 mpg in his playoff career.

shaq has a higher career fg% AND ft% in both the reg.season and playoffs, was a better postseason performer, finals performer and has more rings against better competition.

I'm one of those posters who think that Shaq gets a pass for his underperformances in many seasons, forcing his way out of Miami by faking an injury, eating his way out of LA, quitting on Orlando the year after they went to the finals and ring chasing in general, missing the PO with prime Nash, Amare, JRich and Barbosa on his team, but Shaq is and should be ahead of Wilt all-time by a comfortable margin

Hey shaqpopcorn34, what's your Super Bowl pick? Make me some money here.

Banned

Shaq it's not even close. Just look at the era they play in ffs.

wilt is pobably one of the few players from 60s whose game would be great in any era. Russell would not be that good. He would probably get a lot of DPOYs but no mvp.
    Wilt would have been top 3 in any era but i would take shaq as he played in the modern era and it is easier to judge him. Wilt is either called the GOAT or just a good player who played in an easier era. Both are results of no video evidence only highlight videos.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    1v1 gimme shaq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM2OdZPVaw
    since when has wilt ever displayed the power, quickness, agility, and skill that shaq has? shaq would have destroyed him.

Both amazing, both top5 peaks, both top4 centers.

I personally think Shaq was better looking at everything he's done and would pick him, so yes my choice is Shaq (peak and overall career) but Wilt's pretty close and not a "bad choice" obviously.

*waits for jlauber's big-ass essays filled with dumb shit*

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Hey shaqpopcorn34, what's your Super Bowl pick? Make me some money here.
    broncos over seattle just like manning over brady.....and there isn't even a question about it

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    wilt is pobably one of the few players from 60s whose game would be great in any era. Russell would not be that good. He would probably get a lot of DPOYs but no mvp.
    Wilt would have been top 3 in any era but i would take shaq as he played in the modern era and it is easier to judge him. Wilt is either called the GOAT or just a good player who played in an easier era. Both are results of no video evidence only highlight videos.
    to be honest, im not very impressed by wilts stats...wilt played for stats(in a heavy-paced league)...it is an INCONTESTABLE FACT that he used to check his numbers at halftime and argue with the statisticians if he disagreed with something..wilt played for numbers,bill russell played for letters...as in W's.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    to be honest, im not very impressed by wilts stats...wilt played for stats(in a heavy-paced league)...it is an INCONTESTABLE FACT that he used to check his numbers at halftime and argue with the statisticians if he disagreed with something..wilt played for numbers,bill russell played for letters...as in W's.
    It's so difficult to judge who the best players were more than 40 years since their era ended. I don't know of anyone on this board who actually saw live games or live TV games of Wilt/ Russel/ Lew Alcindor . We can only rely on what the more respected experts who actually witnessed the games. And what they seem to have said to us this is this----Russel>Wilt. At least most of the experts that I read. I'm not sure everyone would agree with me about that, and I have a feeling some on this board would vehemently disagree.

I never believed in just looking at raw statistics which Wilt amassed. Stats aren't a be all or end all for me. Stats are highly flexible numbers that can change from one type of team to another. Wilt started winning and contending when he started producing less PPG. The point of playing basketball is to win, and not to produce stats. Some on this board love stats like it's the end in itself.

But to answer the OP, Shaq>Wilt but KAJ is the best of all time.

Banned

Wilt is better in absolutely EVERYTHING than Shaq including FT shooting. hes also stronger,faster AND more athletic.
    he was always ten times better defensively while scorin more PPG. he lead the league in Assists ffs, in a time where assists were harder to get he averaged 8,6( i think?) one season.
    theres a video where grandpa Wilt shakes Orlando Shaqs hand and u can see that he nearly rips his arm out.

In Wilt's favor:

Led the league in scoring 7 times and rebounding 11 times. Shaq led the league in scoring twice and rebounding zero times. Wilt led the league in FG% the same number of seasons that Shaq did. Wilt was one of the top two shot blockers of his era along with Russell. Shaq never led the league in blocked shots. Wilt is the only center to lead the league in assists. Shaq's high was 3.8, which is less than half (assists are not inflated by the pace due to stricter criteria back then). Wilt holds numerous records, including FG% for a season.

Shaq's teams got swept from the playoffs numerous times. Meanwhile, Wilt's teams were battling Russell's in game sevens.

Rules were changed to limit Wilt (no over the backboard inbounds pass, wider lanes), while the rules were ignored to favor Shaq (offensive fouling).