Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Default Famous People with ADHD

If you were diagnoised with ADHD like me, it doesn't mean you can't be a highly functional adult. In fact we're in good company.

Architect
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Artists
    Salvador Dali
    Pablo Picasso
    Vincent Van Gogh

Athletes
    Terry Bradshaw
    Michael Phelps
    Pete Rose
    Nolan Ryan
    Michael Jordan
    Jason Kidd

Authors
    Charlotte and Emily Bronte
    Samuel Clemens
    Emily Dickenson
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Robert Frost
    George Bernard Shaw
    Henry David Thoreau
    Leo Tolstoy
    Tennessee Williams
    Virginia Woolf
    William Butler Yeats

Composer
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders
    Andrew Carnegie
    Malcolm Forbes
    Henry Ford
    Bill Gates
    David Neeleman
    Paul Orfalea
    Ted Turner

Explorers
    Christopher Columbus
    Lewis and Clark

Entertainers
    Ann Bancroft
    Jim Carrey
    Steve McQueen
    Jack Nicholson
    Ty Pennington
    Elvis Presley
    Evil and Robbie Knievel
    Sylvester Stallone
    Robin Williams
    Wright Brothers

Inventors
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Thomas Edison
    Benjamin Franklin

Photographer
    Ansel Adams

Physicist
    Albert Einstein

Political Figures
    James Carville
    John F. Kennedy

Default Re: Famous People with ADHD

Christopher Columbus lol.

I heard that Lewis kept stealing Clark's adderall.

Banned

So what im not famous now? I thought all of us at ISH were #1 and famous..

I love it when people are posthumously diagnosed with something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Really? Im sort of indifferent about it..

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

I was diagnosed as ADHD when around 5 years old.

Took Ritalin until I was about 13ish, at which point I started faking that I was taking them, and stashing them away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    I was diagnosed as ADHD when around 5 years old.

Took Ritalin until I was about 13ish, at which point I started faking that I was taking them, and stashing them away.
    This.. Explains a lot about you.

If you were diagnoised with ADHD like me, it doesn't mean you can't be a highly functional adult.
    pffffffffft.

If you were diagnosed with "ADHD," it probably means you squirmed in your seat more than once as a 6 year old and a teacher would rather stupify you than do his or her job. If ADHD is a real disease, why did Leo Tolstoy write a 1400 ****ing page novel before the invention of ADHD medication?

**** ADHD. And **** the pharmaceutical companies that are creating a generation of brain-dead, drug-addicted zombie-children. No shit discipline comes easier for some people than for others. We all have challenges we have to overcome to be our best; some people have a hard time being creative or interesting. Like, for example, anyone who was ever put on ADHD medication for a long period of time.

I'll grant that it is a real disorder... that truly requires medication in maybe 1 out of 500 diagnosed cases.

I'm not sure I'd call Henry David Thoreau a highly functional adult. The druggists may have been right with that one.

Future D1 Dad

hell, i think i have a touch of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    pffffffffft.

If you were diagnosed with "ADHD," it probably means you squirmed in your seat more than once as a 6 year old and a teacher would rather stupify you than do his or her job. If ADHD is a real disease, why did Leo Tolstoy write a 1400 ****ing page novel before the invention of ADHD medication?

**** ADHD. And **** the pharmaceutical companies that are creating a generation of brain-dead, drug-addicted zombie-children. No shit discipline comes easier for some people than for others. We all have challenges we have to overcome to be our best; some people have a hard time being creative or interesting. Like, for example, anyone who was ever put on ADHD medication for a long period of time.

I'll grant that it is a real disorder... that truly requires medication in maybe 1 out of 500 diagnosed cases.

I used to think the same way until my daughter started really struggling in school. She didn't squirm in her seat and she has never been a discipline problem. In fact she always gets great marks for being a hard worker and very well behaved and polite. She just wasn't able to focus.

Believe me I was dead set against any medication until after we had been to several different MDs and undergone a multitude of tests. We finally agreed to try a small dose of focalin to see if it made any difference. The difference has been like night and day. My daughter went from not being able to finish a test to now performing towards the top of her class.

I've been told that after awhile we can try to gradually decrease the dose until hopefully she'll get by without any medication.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    pffffffffft.

Its called Hyperfocus and obsessive compulsive dysphoric mania.

Its the reason why most artists that have these mental disorders become so obsessive and determined in what they do.

Banned

Its a misconception that being ADHD means being hyperactive and not being able to focus.

They can focus.. The problem is that they cannot direct that focus on specific things they decide on. The focus has a mind of its own. Some people who are ADHD get hyperfocused on something and they can't steer their attention away from it. They may be washing dishes and spend ten minutes on a pan because it isnt clean enough..

Some of those kids that suffer through it can't do well in school but if you ask them about something they hyperfocused on, they know ever small detail..they will know everything about dinosaurs.. Or every news bit about the NBA.. Or any other topic that has latched on to their system.. They can't focus on one thing but are completely obsessed by others..

Which is why artist that have it excell.. Hyperfocus sets in and they rather be experiencing art than even eating.. Its a euphoria that is match by nothing else.. Even things that are suppose to be pleasurable.

Those artist can't hold down a job, dont feed themselves well, can't socially function, may have done poorly in school.. But they sit and focus on their hyperfused subject... They can write an epic novel, they can paint brilliant artistic pieces, they can cook a delicious meal.. They can have mental clarity in that which serves as an obsessive muse.

The problem with ADHD's is that they can't direct their attention or have mental clarity with any and all subjects. Its infinitely more difficult to learn things that haven't 100% captured their attention.
    Last edited by ZeN; 10-03-2012 at 02:56 PM.