Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Today's drive-and-kick NBA style of play

Have any pundits pointed out that today's drive-and-kick format makes it easier for players to get 3-point looks?

Today's drive-and-kick format requires multiple shooters behind the 3-point line on every possession to kick the ball out to.. This offensive setup didn't exist in previous eras because teams didn't have enough 3-point-shooting personnel to position multiple shooters behind the line.

Accordingly, 3-pointer shooters like Reggie and Bird had to run off screens to get 3-point looks - they didn't have 3-point shooting teammates to enable drive-and-kick so they could stand and wait for an easy kickout like today's 3-point shooter enjoys..

Has this EVER been pointed out by the professional hoops pundits on TV?... Or do they just steal money by comparing previous eras to today's era like it's apples and apples?

Default Re: I don't watch today's NBA, so I need someone to answer a question for me

Why would they be talking about the past during the broadcasts? There's a game going on to be talked about.

PS: Welcome back

Default Re: I don't watch today's NBA, so I need someone to answer a question for me

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro

Why would they be talking about the past during the broadcasts?
    There are plenty of shows that discuss previous eras.

And there are plenty of instances DURING GAMES where the announcers take time to compare the eras, and also during post-game shows.

So obviously, there are plenty of instances where pundits compare the eras - but you just don't want to answer the question.
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-17-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Decent playground baller

Given that 3Ball admits he doesn't watch the NBA, all arguments he has made about Jordan vs current NBA players are officially null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach LaVine

Given that 3Ball admits he doesn't watch the NBA, all arguments he has made about Jordan vs current NBA players are officially null and void.
    And you never watched previous eras - so according to you, any thought you have about a previous era is "null and void".

But back to the point - 3-pointer shooters like Bird and Miller had to run off screens to get 3-point looks in their era - they didn't have 3-point shooting teammates to enable drive-and-kick so they could stand and wait for an easy kickout like today's 3-point shooter enjoys.

Obviously, the offense of today's 3-point shooters would be weaker in the 80's and 90's since they would be running off screens to get 3-pointers like Bird/Miller did, rather than today's drive-and-kick setup that generates easy 3-point looks.
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-17-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    And you never watched previous eras - so according to you, any thought you have about a previous era is "null and void".

But back to the point - 3-pointer shooters like Bird and Miller had to run off screens to get 3-point looks in their era - they didn't have 3-point shooting teammates to enable drive-and-kick so they could stand and wait for an easy kickout like today's 3-point shooter enjoys.

Obviously, the offense of today's 3-point shooters would be weaker in the 80's and 90's since they would be running off screens to get 3-pointers like Bird/Miller did, rather than today's drive-and-kick setup that generates easy 3-point looks.
    I most definitely did, while you blatantly admit to not watching now.

Why are you talking about "today's 3-point shooters" if you don't watch the game? You clearly don't know anything about it because you don't watch it.

I don't watch today's NBA
    It shows in your posts

A couple of things 3ball admitted ITT:

1. He doesn't watch today's NBA.
    2. Players back then were shitty 3pt shooters.
    3. The previous eras were basically playing low IQ basketball, because they didn't utilize the 3pt line.

And there are plenty of instances DURING GAMES where the announcers take time to compare the eras, and also during post-game shows.
    How would you know that? You just said you don't watch the games.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

3ball just ethered himself

I think you're seeing a transition from cookie cutter positions into more versatile personnel.

More players who are now considered "power forwards" can stretch out and hit mid range to three point shots. It's not as simple as saying you drive and kick to a bunch of guys standing around the three point line.

There is an increased value in players who can do multiple things on the court.

Players shoot and make a lot more three's in today's NBA but if you look at the shooting percentages they are still pretty comparable from the 80's and 90's.

Rich Manning is my dad Vancouver-Grizz's Avatar

Have any pundits pointed out that today's drive-and-kick format makes it easier for players to get 3-point looks?

Today's drive-and-kick format requires multiple shooters behind the 3-point line on every possession to kick the ball out to.. This offensive setup didn't exist in previous eras because teams didn't have enough 3-point-shooting personnel to position multiple shooters behind the line.

Accordingly, 3-pointer shooters like Reggie and Bird had to run off screens to get 3-point looks - they didn't have 3-point shooting teammates to enable drive-and-kick so they could stand and wait for an easy kickout like today's 3-point shooter enjoys..

Has this EVER been pointed out by the professional hoops pundits on TV?... Or do they just steal money by comparing previous eras to today's era like it's apples and apples?
    Even in the 90s era, it was a lot harder to drive and kick with the hand check rule and also the big men back then occupied a lot of the room in the paint. That is not to say they didn't get clean looks on the 3pt line. The inside outside game worked well for a lot of teams. Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Olajuwon, Barkley to name a few had great assists numbers from kicking it out due to double teams.

I think back then only reggie and ray allen was ahead of the heard by running off ball screens to get open looks which is still under utilized in today's game.

Game is different today and that doesn't mean it is a ***** game... Just different. No point of comparing back then and now cause even the physical shape of the NBA players are completely different.

Warriors winning 73 games has 3ball shook

I know it's impossible to read 3ball's posts, but he said not too long ago he hasn't watched the NBA since the Mavs won the championship...

So you keep arguing with everyone over today's players without even watching them play?

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    A couple of things 3ball admitted ITT:

1. He doesn't watch today's NBA.
    2. Players back then were shitty 3pt shooters.
    3. The previous eras were basically playing low IQ basketball, because they didn't utilize the 3pt line.

How would you know that? You just said you don't watch the games.

I don't think they had low IQ, I think they just were not as skilled as today's players. Thus the whole weaker league thing compared to today.