Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Anti-bullying month: The Story of Amanda Todd

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    the story is sad and deserved the attention it got. but the problem is that so many stories don't. the problem isn't that tragedies that happen to attractive people illicit strong reactions, but that when they happen to less attractive people or socially important people they don't. somehow their value is worth less? something is seriously messed up with that, and in some ways it goes hand in hand with bullying because some type of distinction based on characteristics is made about the victims.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    it is pretty obvious.

it is almost like the same thought processes that bullies use to select victims are the same ones people use to care or not care about victims of bullies. if they conform to some ideal they matter, if not who cares?

it might be a little more dramatic because she posted a youtube video before it happened, but i still don't believe if the girl was less attractive the situation would have garnered the same attention?

recently in australia this woman was taken, raped and murdered in melbourne.

these kinds of things aren't that common here, but when they happen they usually make the news for a week and then the story dies down. but this was the march in reaction to the news.

the story is sad and deserved the attention it got. but the problem is that so many stories don't. the problem isn't that tragedies that happen to attractive people illicit strong reactions, but that when they happen to less attractive people or socially important people they don't. somehow their value is worth less? something is seriously messed up with that, and in some ways it goes hand in hand with bullying because some type of distinction based on characteristics is made about the victims.
    So you're saying that you found this 15-year-old girl attractive?

Pretty sad what happened. She totally could have avoided it if she didn't go on fricking chatroulette in the first place. But then again, young girls are naive. Even after she flashed, if she just got off facebook, then none of this would've happened, and I guarantee she would be a whole lot happier since.

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    what if this Kody Maxson guy is the wrong person though? that's the thing about vigilante justice... it's much more common for a completely innocent person to be mistakenly targeted
    I think their idea was that even if he wasn't the guy, he was still another Pedo deserving of being put on the public for being a scum. One of the videos (taken down now) showed this Kody as being a "top 10 blackmailer". If he's the guy that did this, he deserves it. If he's not? he still deserves it for blackmailing other teenage girls, I wouldn't feel an ounce of sympathy for him.