Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Default Re: Is Klay Thompson the 2nd greatest 3 point shooter in NBA history?

He has to be tested for a few more seasons, too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    He has to be tested for a few more seasons, too early to tell.
    cmon mate...that's not very ISH like.

they've had 1.5 good seasons....GOAT everything

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8

Warriors will finally be facing healthy teams in the playoffs, might be up for a rude awakening

He is surely in the conversation. I've been so impressed with him over the last 2 seasons. He is just a great young player...some of the shots he hits on a daily basis are insane

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8

Klay is still a young player, but he has already been in the league for 5 years and in those 5 years he has never had a season where he has shot below 40% from 3. To put that in perspective Ray Allen never shot over 40% from 3 for five consecutive seasons and many consider him to be atleast a top 5 shooter ever.

Reggie Miller had a streak for where he didn't shoot under 40% for 5 straight seasons, but keep in mind most of those years were when the NBA had a shorter 3 point line.

I don't know why some of you are acting like this is an absurd argument. No player in history besides Steph Curry has shot better and made as many 3s as Klay Thompson in their first 5 years in the league.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 03-31-2016 at 11:34 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

It's really the way the league is now...is he? I dunno maybe...if Ray Allen came into the league at the same time as Klay I know for certain he would be better than Klay in general. (Ray could actually shoot off the dribble when he was younger...he was 30 when the rules changed though) Even now I wouldn't say he's better 3pt shooter than Ray for the simple fact that every 3pt shot he attempts is pretty much set up and stand still.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    TBF he plays in the same backcourt as the greatest 3 point shooter in NBA history which gives him a substantial amount of open looks. I think any great shooter can benefit from that. Not to mention a system predicated on freeing up the shooters.
    It was something like 80% of klays shots were assisted and 40% were open looks (4+ feet from defender). Not sure how many of these were threes but it definitely does appear he gets plenty of open looks.

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Klay is still a young player, but he has already been in the league for 5 years and in those 5 years he has never had a season where he has shot below 40% from 3. To put that in perspective Ray Allen never shot over 40% from 3 for five consecutive seasons and many consider him to be atleast a top 5 shooter ever.

Reggie Miller had a streak for where he didn't shoot under 40% for 5 straight seasons, but keep in mind most of those years were when the NBA had a shorter 3 point line.

I don't know why some of you are acting like this is an absurd argument. No player in history besides Steph Curry has shot better and made as many 3s as Klay Thompson in their first 5 years in the league.
    you can't compare ray allen to klay by just going off numbers come on now i think you know better than this

unless you're saying that ray allen playing alongside the greatest shooter in nba history wouldn't be able to put up the same numbers as klay does?

like someone said already, if klay were to fall off the face of the earth for the next 3 seasons, and you can't say "he's the 2nd best 3pt shooter ever" then that just means he's not the 2nd best period.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    Warriors will finally be facing healthy teams in the playoffs, might be up for a rude awakening

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    you can't compare ray allen to klay by just going off numbers come on now i think you know better than this

unless you're saying that ray allen playing alongside the greatest shooter in nba history wouldn't be able to put up the same numbers as klay does?

like someone said already, if klay were to fall off the face of the earth for the next 3 seasons, and you can't say "he's the 2nd best 3pt shooter ever" then that just means he's not the 2nd best period.
    I see what you're saying, playing with Curry certainly helps Klay, but Klay isn't just some "good shooter", in his rookie year in this league with Curry missing most of the season Klay still shot over 41% from 3, coming out of college one of his biggest strengths was his shooting, he was a top pure shooter in college as well. I'm just saying if he keeps shooting like he is right now throughout his career there is no reason to keep him off the convo for one of the greatest shooters ever, and there are no signs pointing that his shot will just disappear as his career progresses, it just doesn't happen to elite shooters like Klay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    It was something like 80% of klays shots were assisted and 40% were open looks (4+ feet from defender). Not sure how many of these were threes but it definitely does appear he gets plenty of open looks.
    Imagine spot ups like Steve Kerr, Ray Allen, Dell Curry, John Paxson could do with that many open looks and volume? I'd think they hot at an extremely high clip along side of Curry

In this generation I'd still take Korver over Klay. Where Klay excels at is being a 3 pt scorer. He's fearless. He's not just a 3 point shooter, he's a volume shooter

Klay Thompson in this playoffs has made 77 three pointers on 45%. Insane!

This guy has already made more 3 pointers in a single postseason than guys like R. Miller & R. Allen and we still have one more series to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    He beat Curry in the 3 point contest though. So in terms of just knocking down open shots, it's fair to say he's better or at least on par with Curry.
    Curry beat him last year too, its 1-1.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    In this generation I'd still take Korver over Klay. Where Klay excels at is being a 3 pt scorer. He's fearless. He's not just a 3 point shooter, he's a volume shooter
    In terms of pure 3-point shooting accuracy, I'd probably take Korver over anyone.