Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
AussieSteve
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 693
Default Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

I've been watching some tape of Barkley in the 1990-91 season recently, and man... he was seriously unstoppable. He played the last couple of weeks of the RS and all but last game of the playoffs in a knee brace, which restricted him a little. But in the first half of the season, before he got injured the first time, he was probably the best that he ever was, and the best that a PF that has ever been.

Through 35 games (after which he missed 3 weeks to injury) he was averaging a league leading 30.8 PPG on only 18.0 FGA!!

To put this in perspective, at the same point of the season Jordan was also averaging exactly 30.8 PPG, but was taking 22.0 FGA. And this was the second most efficient season of Jordan's career. Barkey was on track to have THE most efficient 30+ ppg season ever.

Had he remained injury free and kept that scoring pace, it would have been one of the greatest individual seasons ever.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
IllegalD
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,188
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

That loser poster RoundMoundRebound most likely jizzed himself reading this post.
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,638
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalD
That loser poster RoundMoundRebound most likely jizzed himself reading this post.

Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #4
AussieSteve
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 693
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound


30.8 points on 18.0 fga is 1.71 pts/fga.

In 1988, Barkley himself averaged 28.3 on 16.0 fga (1.77 pts/fga), but apart from that no one else has ever averaged even 21 ppg on more than 1.7 pts/fga.

Dwight Howard came closest in 2008, when averaged 20.7 pts on 11.9 fga, for 1.73 pts/fga

This is why I say 91 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era.

Last edited by AussieSteve : 09-18-2017 at 05:43 AM.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Marchesk
El Sid Stan
 
Marchesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,147
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
This is why I say 91 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era.

Certainly more dominant than Lebron.
Marchesk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
tanibanana
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 589
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
30.8 points on 18.0 fga is 1.71 pts/fga.

In 1988, Barkley himself averaged 28.3 on 16.0 fga (1.77 pts/fga), but apart from that no one else has ever averaged even 21 ppg on more than 1.7 pts/fga.

Dwight Howard came closest in 2008, when averaged 20.7 pts on 11.9 fga, for 1.73 pts/fga

This is why I say 91 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era.

We miss this Dwight...
tanibanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users.
 
stalkerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL.
Posts: 17,954
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era



He never faced the defensive attention given to guys like Jordan and Kobe.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,701
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

choked in the playoffs too much to be the most dominant scorer
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School
 
kuniva_dAMiGhTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Dorado
Posts: 13,724
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

In other words, OP looked up Barkley's stats and came to the conclusion he was dominant

Dantley has some of the most efficient scoring seasons of all time, yet no one considers him a more dominant scorer than Jordan, Kobe, Durant or Shaq. Hell even LeBron. Stats are pretty to look at it, but nobody who watched then and now honestly believes Charles is greater than those guys as a scorer. Much less the "most dominant scorer of the modern era"
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Big164
11/13
 
Big164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,307
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Add Adrien Dantley to the list of Premiere Peak players Kareem leeched off.
Big164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Elosha
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 407
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Got to be careful with this kind of analogy. Yes, from a pure stats perspective, CB may have had the most efficient 30 + ppg over a size sample of (only) 35 games. But even assuming (and it's a pretty big assumption) that he could have kept up that that pace in 91 season, anyone who watched basketball during the late 80's and 90's would have a hard time credibly arguing that CB, as great as he was, was a more dominant scorer than MJ.

Basketball cannot simply be a statistical analysis in which the only aspect of a player's performance is evaluated on number-crunching. Advanced Stats have a prominent place - but not the only place - in evaluating performance.

For instance, Barkley was no doubt a skilled and nuanced scorer (far more skilled than a player like Dwight Howard or Shaq , although Shaq was far more skilled than a normal big man), however, CB was still significantly easier to stymie in big playoff games where defense tightens up, than a player like Jordan. MJ's skill, athleticism, and scoring repertoire were all off-the-charts. As a pure scorer, he was always on level higher than CB, "efficiency" notwithstanding.

We are doing ourselves and current and past players a huge disservice by slanting the scoring analysis so heavily in favor of advanced statistics that we ignore actual skill sets, improvisation, creativity, and the ability to rise to the occasion. Both have their place, but we have to balance the analysis, as advanced stats on ISH and elsewhere seem to have gained TOO much importance.
Elosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Smoke117
Banned
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18,779
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

I'll take 91 Jordan. He could score in more ways and situations.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,701
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
I'll take 91 Jordan. He could score in more ways and situations.


NOW that matters huh?

tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
julizaver
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 907
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
I've been watching some tape of Barkley in the 1990-91 season recently, and man... he was seriously unstoppable. He played the last couple of weeks of the RS and all but last game of the playoffs in a knee brace, which restricted him a little. But in the first half of the season, before he got injured the first time, he was probably the best that he ever was, and the best that a PF that has ever been.

Through 35 games (after which he missed 3 weeks to injury) he was averaging a league leading 30.8 PPG on only 18.0 FGA!!

To put this in perspective, at the same point of the season Jordan was also averaging exactly 30.8 PPG, but was taking 22.0 FGA. And this was the second most efficient season of Jordan's career. Barkey was on track to have THE most efficient 30+ ppg season ever.

Had he remained injury free and kept that scoring pace, it would have been one of the greatest individual seasons ever.

At no point of his career Barkley was close or equal to MJ scoring wise. At best he was the second best player in the league.
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #15
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer
 
FireDavidKahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,932
Default Re: Seriously... 1991 Barkley may have been the most dominant scorer of the modern era

Definitely impressive

But 35 games isn't nearly enough to say he would have kept it up all season long.

Players go through hot and cold streaks.

Compare it to what Shaq did from 93/94 - 02/03:

28.1 on 19.3.

Barkley one of the best, but Shaq > Barkley
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy