Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
purplehaze
Can barely lace up my sneakers

purplehaze has an OK reputation so far
Default Joe D picked up the ball

and then dropped it...

Rodney Stuckey was exactly what we needed, but we only needed ONE OF HIM!!!! Arron Afflalo will not and cannot contribute, especially if he's sitting here in this overloaded back court.

A much better pick:

Tiago Splitter, who dropped mostly because he was an international player.

Also, notice who did pick Splitter: The 2007 NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs.

The winning teams do the right thing, make the right pick. Arron Afflalo was NOT that pick.
purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Joe D picked up the ball

It looks like the Detroit front office thinks we need gaurds more than centers. We are definately solid at power forward. If we look at the playoffs the past few years in the series that we have lost our gaurds have just ran out of gas. It could also be for a back up plan in case Chauncey leaves, although I don't think he will. Detroit needs a good center and there really weren't too many in the draft. I think Afflalo fits right into Detroits system. He is a good defender and a high energy player which they need coming off the bench. He may start out the year in the D league but I can see him being a solid contributor to the team eventually.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
turdfurgeson

turdfurgeson has an OK reputation so far

Affalo may not be as good as Alex Acker. The guy shot under 40 percent from the college three point line, isn't a slasher and isn't a point guard.
You have to have at least one skill to make it as a guard in the NBA, "hustle players" only cut it as big men.

We need more slashers who can set up Rip and Billups for open looks and ignite some offense. Alando Tucker of Wisconsin would've been a great pickup.

I don't blame JoeD for not going big, because there weren't really any talented big men left - who knows about Splitter?
But I'm 90 percent sure Affalo will be a bust.

Is he even better than Delfino?
turdfurgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Most all the people out there are giving Detroit a good grade on their post draft report card and a lot of it is because of that Afflalo pick. I think he is a guy who is like Rip (I'm not saying as good) but his game is like that. They aren't looking for a guy who will score 20 a game. Afflalo is a defensive minded guy who can come in and give Rip a break and lock down an opponent. Detroit is a defensive minded team. Sure he will probably start out in the D league but I can see him as a guy who can contribute 7 or 8 solid minutes per game off the bench. He is a good team player who understands the game. Those are the kinds of people that a team needs to win championships. Detroit already has a solid core of players. With the exception of the center position their starting 5 is as good as it gets. They need more depth and have for the past few years. The year we won the championship we had a ton of depth. I think Joe D has done a good job at finding a little more depth for the team at the gaurd spots. Now hopefully he can pull off a trade and sign a few free agents and bring the rest of the bench up to par.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
purplehaze

i'm not against afflalo, i though he was a solid guard at UCLA and can probably contribute to the pistons, at least with his defense.

splitter though, would have been a welcome addition because our front court is aging. dale davis(?) is 38, dyess is getting old (34), sheed is getting up there and is always a controversial figure.

amir johnson and jason maxiell look good in terms of future prospects, but both are suited for the power forward position. splitter would be a guy who has the height and ability to play as a center, especially when we will need one in a couple years...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

I agree that we need a center. I just don't think there was one that we would have been able to draft that could be a potential starter. Splitter is a
2nd sting center at best. We need a guy that can be a potential starter. I think they need to look into making a trade or we'll just have to work with what we have. I don't think there are any decent free agent centers. We wouldn't have this issue if we didn't mess up with Darko years ago. It would have filled one of these positions so that we aren't trying to do it now, which is why we can't cover all of our needs. That will hover over Detroit for years. I can't think of anybody right now that is going to be bought out of their contract that could make a difference in Detroit. The only person that is rumored of being bought out is Steve Francis and we certainly don't need him. Possibly we can lure Grant Hill over which will give Prince a back up but that still does nothing for the center position. The Lakers want to trade Kwame Brown but he isn't going to help us win a championship. The Kings may be willing to part with Brad Miller but he is way past his prime and often injured. Although, he still is a solid center. Pau Gasol still may want out but who could we offer? The only way to match the salary would be to give up Rasheed. I suppose you could then start Mcdyess at PF but would still need someone solid to back him up. Maybe if they resigned Webber as a back up at that point. But Rasheed is a better defender so I'm not so sure that even makes the team better.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Afflalo will give you guys a ton of quality minutes off the bench. He plays very good perimeter and on ball defense and should be able to spell at least 10 quality minutes for Rip. At UCLA he was asked to create off the dribble which is something he is bad at because of his unorthodox release (releases as he comes down rather than at the height of his elevation) which led to his low 3 pt percentage. Afflalo has some crafty moves to the rim and decent enough offense to stay in this league. You guys will be happy you got him.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
purplehaze

after watching his action in the summer league games, afflalo has been rather convincincing in vegas. now, i am beginning to think that this pick was a good choice, although we could have (and probably should have) added some pieces to our frontcourt. we need to mentor our future starters while we still have these veterans on our team.

i don't think mejia is that bad either, but again, an addition to our frontcourt, even a prospect like cheick samb last year, would have been better down the road.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
turdfurgeson

turdfurgeson has an OK reputation so far

I take back some of my criticism of Affalo after seeing him in the summer leagues. It is also a HUGE plus that the guy sounds like he is all about winning.

If he's the next Lindsey Hunter (defensive stopper off the bench) I can live with that.
turdfurgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: