Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Any MS Excel pros here?

I need some advice on searching and deleting information by patterns.
I also need advice well as searching specific for reoccurring data and seperating it with the text to column function.

I'm not sure if this can be done easily.

Thanks for any help. Will rep!
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Any MS Excel pros here?

by patterns, do you mean simple combinations of numbers and letters, or terms like "if > than",.... and so on
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
by patterns, do you mean simple combinations of numbers and letters, or terms like "if > than",.... and so on

Simple combinations.
Example:

PURPOSE PO TYPE PO # PO DATE
00 Original SA Stand-alone Order 238884 08/06/10

^I have the above information in two cells (A6 & A8). This data reoccurs 149 times. I want to be able to do the text to column (delimited) thing once and then get Excel to recognise the pattern and do the rest for me. :)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Seņor Cedric
why live??

anyone?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm confused on what you're asking.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
Simple combinations.
Example:

PURPOSE PO TYPE PO # PO DATE
00 Original SA Stand-alone Order 238884 08/06/10

^I have the above information in two cells (A6 & A8). This data reoccurs 149 times. I want to be able to do the text to column (delimited) thing once and then get Excel to recognise the pattern and do the rest for me. :)
so, you want to break those cells up using the space delimiter and then do it for the entire file? seems like you could build a macro.

WHat i would do is export the data to wordpad. save as a rtf and then import it. you can set the space as the delimiter then.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, you want to break those cells up using the space delimiter and then do it for the entire file? seems like you could build a macro.

WHat i would do is export the data to wordpad. save as a rtf and then import it. you can set the space as the delimiter then.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully that saves me a bit of time.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

did it work? I gather not, since you are still cutting and pasting cells rather than arguing with people online.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
did it work? I gather not, since you are still cutting and pasting cells rather than arguing with people online.

It requires a very complicated macro. I don't have the time to work it out so I have sent it on to the IT guys.

It turned out to be much more complicated than I thought. Stupid EDI Gateway reports.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Blackisbig
Serious playground baller

Blackisbig has decent reputation

My advice to anyone who has a large amount of data to sort is to get Access. I find it far easier for most things.
Blackisbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
indiefan24
Banned

indiefan24 is considered somewhat coolindiefan24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackisbig
My advice to anyone who has a large amount of data to sort is to get Access. I find it far easier for most things.

psshhh go all out and use SQL Server
indiefan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ithought in your master top or left cell you can format to your needs with your general drop down menu with Special or Custom options.

I never use them ... and am not sure if that is what your looking to do.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Sounds like a programming job like Booze said. Always hated how some people were such naturals at programming.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: