Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your opinion on Financial Advisers?

I'm recently tasked with the decision of either pulling a nice chunk of change from one investment company, to someone from Capstone that my father has been using...Or just pull it and stick it in the bank to let it sit for the most part. I'm borderline clueless about this shit so any advice would be great.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Re: What's your opinion on Financial Advisers?

Do your homework and find an honest one if you’re going to use one.

My best friend’s is currently trying to sell him on the idea that he needs a $4 million life insurance policy and that he will need $20 million to retire and his income is only like 100k annually between him and his wife...

Lol.

[QUOTE=Ben Simmons 25]Do your homework and find an honest one if you

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    20 is a lot, but it depends on his lifestyle choices as well.

and i'm not that surprised. inflation is crazy bc of real estate prices being artificially jacked up by morons trying to get rich, only they don't acknowledge they're fcking up the economy.
    Real estate prices are not artificially jacked up... well they are... but maybe not for reasons you think... actually you have it backwards... IN PART, REAL ESTATE prices are jacked up because of inflation via the federal reserve. Inflation isn't high because of manipulated real estate prices... not in the sense of it being a recent thing anyways. It extends back to the financial crisis of 2008 and the shady lending for the decade preceding it.

But yeah... inflation isn't high because of real estate prices... that's reversed. Also, the demand has been strong for the past few years as peoples' credit scores have started to recover from the bankruptcy they faced 7+ years ago and the retirement of baby boomers all at the same time...

Real estate was artificially pumped in the 2000s due to bad lending practices and federal policy. Banks aren't giving out crazy loans like that any longer.

However, the federal reserve has kept interest rates at 0/near 0 for 10 years, and when you add that on top of the other two factors that I mentioned, you have the result today... soaring demand AND more expensive prices. Though I am fairly certain think it's slowing.

We'll see.

Back to the topic at hand... let me tell you dude, that $20 million is either WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much or all paperless money printed by the federal reserve will be worthless upon his retirement and so therefore it's not even remotely close to being enough.

At the age of retirement, let's say 65 in my friend's case, he will have no debt to speak of. He's a year away from that outside of his mortgage anyways. But anyways, he'll have no debt to speak of, and you want to argue that him and his wife will need $20 million to get by for another 20 to 30 years? Are you ****ing joking? LMAOOOOOOOO. Maybe you should look into a career change to being a predatory financial adviser, much like my friend's.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 01-14-2019 at 09:16 PM.

You want financial advice? Invest in rite aid

NBA Legend

short the dollar and buy dat dere gold.

when the collapse comes, it's all that will save you

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    short the dollar and buy dat dere gold.

when the collapse comes, it's all that will save you

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly more useful than the USD in a case like that, however. An extensive knowledge of how to live off the land is going to be more useful during the next financial meltdown.

Not to be incredibly dramatic about it, but we could see 50% unemployment or more within 20, 30 years... maybe sooner... due to financial conditions AND ai.

The 2008 recession was like 10% unemployment? Imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Maybe, maybe not. Certainly more useful than the USD in a case like that, however. An extensive knowledge of how to live off the land is going to be more useful during the next financial meltdown.

Not to be incredibly dramatic about it, but we could see 50% unemployment or more within 20, 30 years... maybe sooner... due to financial conditions AND ai.

The 2008 recession was like 10% unemployment? Imagine.
    Idk how true it is but I heard that someone mentioned another collapse coming to Trump and he said he didn't care because he will be out of office by the time they expect it to happen .

Thinking about pulling the money and spreading it out amongst things that wont go to shit if/when things go south

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

They are all full of sh*t. There is extremely little oversight and it's not exactly rocket science to become one.

I think all you need to do is pass two tests and Boom you are a financial advisor.

No matter what advice they give its always going to be tainted by the fact that their income depends on you having some sort of account with them.

With that being said some companies have better overall customer service than others. Accessibility and convenience are factors you need to consider.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Roth IRA

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Think about it this way - if you use a financial adviser or use a managed fund, your fees will be higher than a self managed fund. That’s a lot of money on fees over a long period of time.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Read this book: Boglehead's Guide to Investing

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...e_To_Investing

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    You want financial advice? Invest in rite aid
    Why Rite Aid?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    They are all full of sh*t. There is extremely little oversight and it's not exactly rocket science to become one.

I think all you need to do is pass two tests and Boom you are a financial advisor.

No matter what advice they give its always going to be tainted by the fact that their income depends on you having some sort of account with them.

With that being said some companies have better overall customer service than others. Accessibility and convenience are factors you need to consider.
    Pretty much this. They are mostly salesmen.

Financial advisers/money managers are useless. They generally dont understand the markets and are reactive to what's already happening rather than proactive as to what's likely going to happen. Aka dumb money.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    20 is a lot, but it depends on his lifestyle choices as well.

and i'm not that surprised. inflation is crazy bc of real estate prices being artificially jacked up by morons trying to get rich, only they don't acknowledge they're fcking up the economy.
    Unless you want to live like a millionaire, 20m is way more than you need. When you only make 100K annually, then that's quite a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Youre welcome dude (if you bought)

For those in the shadows taking my free ISH financial advice I have returned your money 1900% in the last 5 months
    Woot? Rite aid just lost more than half in the last 6 months.