Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default More than 29 million people still live in slavery

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...m_hp_ref=world

[QUOTE]Modern slavery may be a much larger problem than recently estimated.

In its inaugural Global Slavery Index, released Thursday, the Walk Free Foundation revealed that more than 29 million people around the world are living in slavery. That's higher than the U.S. State Department's estimate of 27 million and well above the International Labor Organization's estimate of 21 million.

Default Re: More than 29 million people still live in slavery

I got a slave white bitch.

Real type

Banned

Landowning is the most effective way of enslaving people and is still the most common one today.

by Henry George:

[02] Robinson Crusoe, as we all know, took Friday as his slave. Suppose, however, that instead of taking Friday as his slave, Robinson Crusoe had welcomed him as a man and a brother; had read him a Declaration of Independence, an Emancipation Proclamation and a Fifteenth Amendment, and informed him that he was a free and independent citizen, entitled to vote and hold office; but had at the same time also informed him that that particular island was his (Robinson Crusoe's) private and exclusive property. What would have been the difference? Since Friday could not fly up into the air nor swim off through the sea, since if he lived at all he must live on the island, he would have been in one case as much a slave as in the other. Crusoe's ownership of the island would be equivalent to his ownership of Friday.

[03] Chattel slavery is, in fact, merely the rude and primitive mode of property in man. It only grows up where population is sparse; it never, save by virtue of special circumstances, continues where the pressure of population gives land a high value, for in that case the ownership of land gives all the power that comes from the ownership of men, in more convenient form. When in the course of history we see the conquerors making chattel slaves of the conquered, it is always where population is sparse and land of little value, or where they want to carry off their human spoil. In other cases, the conquerors merely appropriate the lands of the conquered, by which means they just as effectually, and much more conveniently, compel the conquered to work for them. It was not until the great estates of the rich patricians began to depopulate Italy that the importation of slaves began. In Turkey and Egypt, where chattel slavery is yet legal, it is confined to the inmates and attendants of harems. English ships carried negro slaves to America, and not to England or Ireland, because in America land was cheap and labor was valuable, while in western Europe land was valuable and labor was cheap. As soon as the possibility of expansion over new land ceased, chattel slavery would have died out in our Southern States. As it is, Southern planters do not regret the abolition of slavery. They get out of the freedmen as tenants as much as they got out of them as slaves. While as for predial slavery -- the attachment of serfs to the soil -- the form of chattel slavery which existed longest in Europe, it is only of use to the proprietor where there is little competition for land. Neither predial slavery nor absolute chattel slavery could have added to the Irish landlord's virtual ownership of men -- to his power to make them work for him without return. Their own competition for the means of livelihood insured him all they possibly could give. To the English proprietor the ownership of slaves would be only a burden and a loss, when he can get laborers for less than it would cost to maintain them as slaves, and when they are become ill or infirm can turn them on the parish. Or what would the New England manufacturer gain by the enslavement of his operatives? The competition with each other of so-called freemen, who are denied all right to the soil of what is called their country, brings him labor cheaper and more conveniently than would chattel slavery.

[04] That a people can be enslaved just as effectually by making property of their lands as by making property of their bodies, is a truth that conquerors in all ages have recognized, and that, as society developed, the strong and unscrupulous who desired to live off the labor of others, have been prompt to see. The coarser form of slavery, in which each particular slave is the property of a particular owner, is fitted only for a rude state of society, and with social development entails more and more care, trouble and expense upon the owner. But by making property of the land instead of the person, much care, supervision and expense are saved the proprietors; and though no particular slave is owned by a particular master, yet the one class still appropriates the labor of the other class as before.

[05] That each particular slave should be owned by a particular master would in fact become, as social development went on, and industrial organization grew complex, a manifest disadvantage to the masters. They would be at the trouble of whipping, or otherwise compelling the slaves to work; at the cost of watching them, and of keeping them when ill or unproductive; at the trouble of finding work for them to do, or of hiring them out, as at different seasons or at different times, the number of slaves which different owners or different contractors could advantageously employ would vary. As social development went on, these inconveniences might, were there no other way of obviating them, have led slave. owners to adopt some such device for the joint ownership and management of slaves, as the mutual convenience of capitalists has led to in the management of capital. In a rude state of society, the man who wants to have money ready for use must hoard it, or, if he travels, carry it with him. The man who has capital must use it himself or lend it. But mutual convenience has, as society developed, suggested methods of saving this trouble. The man who wishes to have his money accessible turns it over to a bank, which does not agree to keep or hand him back that particular money, but money to that amount. And so by turning over his capital to saving~banks or trust companies, or by buying the stock or bonds of corporations he gets rid of all trouble of handling and employing it. Had chattel slavery continued, some similar device for the ownership and management of slaves would in time have been adopted. But by changing the form of slavery -- by freeing men and appropriating land -- all the advantages of chattel slavery can be secured without any of the disadvantages which in a complex society attend the owning of a particular man by a particular master.

[06] Unable to employ themselves, the nominally free laborers are forced by their competition with each other to pay as rent all their earnings above a bare living, or to sell their labor for wages which give but a bare living; and as landowners the ex-slaveholders are enabled as before, to appropriate to themselves the labor or the produce of the labor of their former chattels, having in the value which this power of appropriating the proceeds of labor gives to the ownership of land, a capitalized value equivalent, or more than equivalent, to the value of their slaves. They no longer have to drive their slaves to work; want and the fear of want do that more effectually than the lash. They no longer have the trouble of looking out for their employment or hiring out their labor, or the expense of keeping them when they cannot work. That is thrown upon the slaves. The tribute that they still wring from labor seems like voluntary payment. In fact, they take it as their honest share of the rewards of production -- since they furnish the land! And they find so-called political economists, to say nothing of so-called preachers of Christianity, to tell them it is so.
    That's only about 1/3 of it. Continued here: http://schalkenbach.org/library/henr...lems/sp15.html
    Last edited by K; 10-18-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

http://schalkenbach.org/library/henr...lems/sp15.html

You could've just linked up what you wanted to present. Doesn't cram the page that way.

NBA rookie of the year

I going to admit that the number of 29 million surprised me. I knew slavery still existed, but I wouldnt have guessed 29 million.

you believe this but don't believe in God and Satan

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    I got a slave white bitch.

Real type
    I would like to enslave you as my butler

Banned

In fact, in some countries people sold themselves or their loved ones into chattel slavery because it was a better way to get subsistence than being landless. But those options were usually very scarce since it wasn't nearly as convenient as having people de facto enslaved by being landless.

And people tell me you can't compare landowning with slavery.

The victims of de facto enslavement by landowning by far outnumber the victims of chattel slavery, and it's not even close.
    Last edited by K; 10-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Banned

Wheres Al Sharpton now???

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    I would like to enslave you as my butler
    I'm sure you would BBC lovin f@ggot

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Wheres Al Sharpton now???
    he definitely aint doing a damn thang

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

You mean there are more slaves in Africa than anywhere else in the world??

You ain't got much time left on this Earth from the looks of it, Al. Repent, sucka.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    You mean there are more slaves in Africa than anywhere else in the world??

You ain't got much time left on this Earth from the looks of it, Al. Repent, sucka.
    Your stupidity amazes me.

NBA rookie of the year

ISH has single handedly made me support sharpton. He had lost me on the duke lacrosse rape case where I felt he never made it clear he was wrong in his accusations of the players who had video evidence that the woman consented to the sex. I still feel this way, as many people still dont know that they were proven innocent.

But people on ISH really expect Sharpton to speak out on every negative thing that happens to a person of african descent ever?
    He is an advocate of Black Americans against white racism. There is nothing wrong with that as long as he can admit when he was wrong. Eg. Duke rape case.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

this much slaves or no new pyramids?