Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
Prometheus
for your health

Default Re: Why do people move to the U.S. and then fly the flag from their country of origin?

What about people who hang both the Amerucan flag and a flag representing their familial roots? My friend's grandmother was born in Scotland. In her front yard there is an American flag as well as a Scottish flag. I think it's awesome.

In fact, this thread has motivated me. I'm going to go buy an Italian flag and a Polish flag to celebrate my genetic roots. I'll hang them up right next to the good old stars and stripes.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Shogon
National High School Star

Default Re: Why do people move to the U.S. and then fly the flag from their country of origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
I love how it's now racist to have pride in being american.

Part of assimilating to the culture is speaking the language of the culture - english.

I'm sure mexicans absolutely look down on those americans but they have money. Had a conversation about this with a mexican in Playa and we got along real well. Some asshole americans causing a riot at Wal-Mart there and he had enough of them and told them off. "They aren't in America anymore. They are in my country!"

And that guy was absolutely right.
Shogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #18
Shogon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
What about people who hang both the Amerucan flag and a flag representing their familial roots? My friend's grandmother was born in Scotland. In her front yard there is an American flag as well as a Scottish flag. I think it's awesome.

In fact, this thread has motivated me. I'm going to go buy an Italian flag and a Polish flag to celebrate my genetic roots. I'll hang them up right next to the good old stars and stripes.

Both is perfectly fine. That's great. America is the melting pot of the world.

But I have a problem when those foreign flags are the only ones showing.

But you're not even from there, that's just you being a contrarian asshole.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

You're from Florida and feel Florida is a shit hole? That explains why you post like shit all the time now. Everything makes sense!
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
Prometheus
for your health

Ignore my last post - I see you actually did address it on page one. Everything happens so fast
Old 07-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Shogon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
You're from Florida and feel Florida is a shit hole? That explains why you post like shit all the time now. Everything makes sense!

Florida absolutely is a shit hole and anyone who says otherwise is stupid. The majority of the population is borderline retarded and the weather is utter dog shit. The only reason to move here for the weather is if you're extremely old and you literally can't take the cold weather.

It's a swamp full of trashy retards.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #22
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon
Both is perfectly fine. That's great. America is the melting pot of the world.

But I have a problem when those foreign flags are the only ones showing.

But you're not even from there, that's just you being a contrarian asshole.

No I'm not from there, but my ancestors were. There's nothing wrong with paying homage to my roots.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Florida absolutely is a shit hole and anyone who says otherwise is stupid. The majority of the population is borderline retarded and the weather is utter dog shit. The only reason to move here for the weather is if you're extremely old and you literally can't take the cold weather.

I generally agree that Florida is a shithole, but I personally like the weather.

I just like it hot. Idk why. Always have.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
Shogon

Quote:
No I'm not from there, but my ancestors were. There's nothing wrong with paying homage to my roots.

Well whatever, just get the stars and stripes up.

Side note... do you ever feel alone? I have nobody in my personal life that is on my level or above intellectually and it leads me to feel alone. My best friend is in the same sport, but he's on the Astros and I'm on the Yankees, as far as our sport goes. He's the closest I've got.

Nobody in my family is even in my sport. The rest of my friends aren't in my sport. My boss and up the food chain aren't in my sport.

How does one find a group of people to be friends with that are as smart as they are or smarter?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #25
highwhey
tf

Quote:

i like pompano beach when i was there for a week. lots of big booty women too.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #26
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
no i didn't, it's because no one down there is complaining about it. it's mostly americans who are overzealous idiots about patriotism. you don't realize how silly you look. let your fist unclench and consider that you should be more tolerant of other cultures.

Anyone flying a flag from another country on a different country's soil without a US flag near it looks like a jackass actually.

It's like flying a rebel flag.

Let's fly the flag of a side that lost the war!
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #27
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT

Because they are low-IQ and have no respect for this country. They just come hear to reap the benefits but could care less about it.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #28
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Because they are low-IQ and have no respect for this country. They just come hear to reap the benefits but could care less about it.

But in essence all they are doing is showing how great his country is in the first place by flying their flag because the freedoms of this country are the only reason why they are allowed to do so. If anything, they are complementing the country and the soldiers that fought for it even if they think they aren't. So anyone flying a flag from another country just to troll looks like a loser for the reasons above. Then they have to reflect on how their country may not allow that as being an option so they catch feelings over it. All those tears do is provide additional fuel the great nation of America.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Well whatever, just get the stars and stripes up.

Side note... do you ever feel alone? I have nobody in my personal life that is on my level or above intellectually and it leads me to feel alone. My best friend is in the same sport, but he's on the Astros and I'm on the Yankees, as far as our sport goes. He's the closest I've got.

Nobody in my family is even in my sport. The rest of my friends aren't in my sport. My boss and up the food chain aren't in my sport.

How does one find a group of people to be friends with that are as smart as they are or smarter?

I feel you. We've been at this before IIRC, and I think you define intelligence in a narrow way.

My best friend, for example... He once asked me "Do you think you're smarter than me?" and my answer was "Only in ways that are measurable." And it wasn't a cop-out... it's the truth. If he and I sit down and try to solve any mathematically-oriented problem... He's going to lose. But I can't tell you how many times I've been at an impasse in my life, turned to him for advice, and the first thing out of his mouth is precisely the piece of advice that helps me move forward. How do I account for that? I don't even know how I would describe it as an aptitude... wisdom? Maybe not, because he can't seem to get his own life together. All I know is that his mind is configured in such a way that he easily navigates certain things which are more difficult for me.

My step-father... he has trouble with logic sometimes. My mother gets frustrated with him because he will often give non-answers tk very specific questions. Instead of answering, he will ramble for a minute about the topic at hand. "But I asked you _____". It can test one's patience. But holy f*ck, this dude's memory... he can drive 200 miles down back roads and have no problem going back exactly the same way. He can recall the first and last name of everyone he's ever known. When he tells stories, he can lose the audience because he includes so many irrelevant details... just because they're there in his mind. It might not seem very useful all the time, but that is a mental advantage he has that I don't have. Even if I usually feel 'smarter'.

These examples may be crude, maybe vague... but if you have humility, and if you're as committed to facing the truth as you tout yourself to be, I am confident you'll recognize individuals with whom you relate in a similar fashion.

If you're really talking strictly IQ... you might be in for a hard time. There aren't many 140+ humans walking around.

You feel like your critical reasoning capacity makes you alone. I think it should make you a leader. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. In the end, imo it ties back to our ongoing atheism dialogue. I perceive an innate spiritual union with others - and I think this is one of the ways in which I differ from an actual atheist. And I think it makes it easier to not feel alone.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #30
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
I feel you. We've been at this before IIRC, and I think you define intelligence in a narrow way.

My best friend, for example... He once asked me "Do you think you're smarter than me?" and my answer was "Only in ways that are measurable." And it wasn't a cop-out... it's the truth. If he and I sit down and try to solve any mathematically-oriented problem... He's going to lose. But I can't tell you how many times I've been at an impasse in my life, turned to him for advice, and the first thing out of his mouth is precisely the piece of advice that helps me move forward. How do I account for that? I don't even know how I would describe it as an aptitude... wisdom? Maybe not, because he can't seem to get his own life together. All I know is that his mind is configured in such a way that he easily navigates certain things which are more difficult for me.

My step-father... he has trouble with logic sometimes. My mother gets frustrated with him because he will often give non-answers tk very specific questions. Instead of answering, he will ramble for a minute about the topic at hand. "But I asked you _____". It can test one's patience. But holy f*ck, this dude's memory... he can drive 200 miles down back roads and have no problem going back exactly the same way. He can recall the first and last name of everyone he's ever known. When he tells stories, he can lose the audience because he includes so many irrelevant details... just because they're there in his mind. It might not seem very useful all the time, but that is a mental advantage he has that I don't have. Even if I usually feel 'smarter'.

These examples may be crude, maybe vague... but if you have humility, and if you're as committed to facing the truth as you tout yourself to be, I am confident you'll recognize individuals with whom you relate in a similar fashion.

If you're really talking strictly IQ... you might be in for a hard time. There aren't many 140+ humans walking around.

You feel like your critical reasoning capacity makes you alone. I think it should make you a leader. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. In the end, imo it ties back to our ongoing atheism dialogue. I perceive an innate spiritual union with others - and I think this is one of the ways in which I differ from an actual atheist. And I think it makes it easier to not feel alone.

That's exactly his problem. There are people who are street smart, book smart and everything in-between. Someone can say "if you're so smart, why haven't you figured out a way to make $100,000 a year, or $200k a year, or $300k a year?"

"oh I can but the stress is too much".

OK, well if you are so smart why haven't you found a way that is much less stress?

If someone is so alone because they are so smart, surely using their smarts to make $300k a year stress free and clear should be no problem right?

"oh I'm smart enough I just haven't gotten around to it yet".

And the bullshit keeps going round and round and round.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: