Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #121
adamcz
Bucks fan

Default Re: yi''s boss says if yi isnt traded, Yi will be back in china

Last edited by adamcz : 07-17-2007 at 10:46 PM.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #122
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I personally hope the Chinese government holds David Stern's family hostage until he forces Milwaukee to trade Yi to LA.

If this was an American playing in some famous league in China, everyone here would be supporting America's stance on the issue.

"People have the right to choose where they work."

Of course America would have to be communist, facist, authoritarian, etc.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 07-17-2007 at 11:17 PM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #123
adamcz
Bucks fan

Nobody's forcing Yi to work anywhere. It has nothing to do with facism. Joining the NBA is a choice, same as choosing to work at McDonalds, or choosing to work for Microsoft. When you work for a company you've got to follow their rules, and if you can't accept their rules you have to find a new company.

If the NBA were the only basketball league, Yi would be screwed. As far as I know, he doesn't have the education to do any other professions. Luckily, he can play in the CBA or in the Euroleague if he finds the NBA's way of doing things acceptable. No reason for him to go to college and learn a new trade.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #124
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Nobody's forcing Yi to work anywhere. It has nothing to do with facism. Joining the NBA is a choice, same as choosing to work at McDonalds, or choosing to work for Microsoft. When you work for a company you've got to follow their rules, and if you can't accept their rules you have to find a new company.

If the NBA were the only basketball league, Yi would be screwed. As far as I know, he doesn't have the education to do any other professions. Luckily, he can play in the CBA or in the Euroleague if he finds the NBA's way of doing things acceptable. No reason for him to go to college and learn a new trade.

I think I was basically agreeing with you on that point. The only other point I made was that Americans would have a different view on things if America was trying to get one of their citizens to play in a certain city in China based on some policy. They'd hail the American for being bold in a free market world and would support America's "we'll do what we feel like" stance.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #125
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

You say no one is attempting to force him to play anywhere then you say he should just go back to China or play in Europe if Milwaukee is unacceptable?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #126
adamcz
Bucks fan

Yeah. He should do like everybody does. Find a company to work for that offers policies you can accept, and a location you don't hate. That's what we all have to do. As a basketball player, his options are NBA, CBA, Euroleague, and a few others. If he wants to play in the NBA, he has to play in Milwaukee, so maybe the NBA isn't the best fit for him. He should stay in the CBA in that case.

Or if he wants to play in the USA so bad but can't accept NBA rules, there are even other American leagues. The American CBA I think is still around, and there's the And1 tour.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #127
timmyD
I usually hit open layups

i bet you anything that this will have a cataclysmic fallout. this is a progressive era for stern, taking advantage of situations to make major rule changes while everyone is not paying attention. i KNOW the Players association wont negotiate with stern but i see stern proposing a 3 year ban if you withdrawal your rights after being drafted by a team. i would like to see that AND a stuctured rookie contract system where, based on ur salary, no matter who you are, you sign for 3 years and for a set amount of money. that will never happen either thanks to the decripit players association.

moral of the story, this is all the bucks fault. have they not seen he legal issues with yao and a lot of his money being funneled to the government and his formal club? YOU DONT MESS WITH THE CHINESE. they should have passed up after Yi's camp said no go with the workout. that alone should have said pass on this ****er. so milwaukee has only themselves to blame for all of this.
timmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #128
final.wrath
Banned

adam, why do you think Milwaukee passed on Brandon Wright? He has just as good and probably a better chance to be a star... or who knows maybe even a franchise level player down the line.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 AM   #129
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
adam, why do you think Milwaukee passed on Brandon Wright? He has just as good and probably a better chance to be a star... or who knows maybe even a franchise level player down the line.

KG2 baby. ROY
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #130
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I personally hope the Chinese government holds David Stern's family hostage until he forces Milwaukee to trade Yi to LA.

If this was an American playing in some famous league in China, everyone here would be supporting America's stance on the issue.

"People have the right to choose where they work."

Of course America would have to be communist, facist, authoritarian, etc.

Um no. Since what other job can someone who hasn't proven anything and is new at the job makes such demands?

Yi should be priviledge to be able to play in the L and make more money in one year than his parents can make in 10 lifetimes.

The thing is, I always knew all alongit wasn't YI doing this. Would Yi rather play in LA or SF? Sure, but I don't think he would have dragged this out that far and make such a big scene if i twas just him. It was the communists the whole time.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #131
MingDynasty
Saw a basketball once

Some people in this forum need to grow up and stop bashing Yi. You guys think he is just another young guy coming out of school and should be happy just to be picked by some NBA team? Man, he is one of the biggest sports star in a country with 1.3 Billion population. His Nike contract by itself probably worth more than half of NBA player's salary.

In this world, money is power. Yeah it suck to see people breaking the rule, but that's just the way it is. You see it in NBA everyday, if the team doesn't kiss those superstar's butt, they walk in a minute. Yeah Yi is not a superstar in the league. But he is a superstar back home and he has the backing of the country, the agent, and sports endorsement agency.

In the end, it comes down to who own's Yi's right. If his old Chinese team does, they can do whatever they want, and they would definitely want to see Yi play in a big market with lots of Chinese and make sure he keeps his commercial value up. If his old Chinese team doesn't own his right, they can talk crap and it doesn't matter. Milwaukee should have done their homework when they selected Yi and understand all this complexity. If they did, they are taking a calculated risk, if they didn't, than stupid them. Either way, it's their choice to pick Yi with their pick and they will just have to deal with it, nobody hold a gun to their head to pick Yi.

In the meantime, everyone should just stop bashing Yi and let the bureaucrats work out the details.
MingDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #132
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
If he wants to play in the NBA, he has to play in Milwaukee

If this were a perfect world perhaps. But it isnt. If he doesnt want to be a Buck he wont be....and he will still make the NBA. Kobe didnt want to be a Hornet, Francis didnt want to be a Grizzily, and Ferry didnt want to be a....whatever it was. And none of them were. Yi will end up somewhere he feels like being.

The idea that if he wont follow the rules of the draft then he cant play in the L is cute...but just not realistic.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #133
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

I wanna know for sure that if he sits out and plays with his old team, if he can enter the draft again next year.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #134
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If this were a perfect world perhaps. But it isnt. If he doesnt want to be a Buck he wont be....and he will still make the NBA. Kobe didnt want to be a Hornet, Francis didnt want to be a Grizzily, and Ferry didnt want to be a....whatever it was. And none of them were. Yi will end up somewhere he feels like being.
The Bucks have the advantage of learning from the past mistakes of those teams. In hindsight, the Hornets made a horrible decision. Vlade Divac did basically nothing for them, and Kobe became a generational player. If the Hornets would have held strong, Kobe would have eventually given in. He wouldn't have avoided the NBA forever, and when he finally got sick of playing in Italy, he would have played for at least five years with the team.

If Grizzlies had let Francis sit out a year and re-enter the draft (would he really havd done that??), and got literally nothing for their pick... what would the big difference be? Honestly what is the big difference between Michael Dickerson and nothing in the whole scheme of things.

If those trades were such good decisions, why are neither of those teams playing in the cities they were in at the time they happened?

The Bucks aren't guaranteed to stay in Milwaukee either. Attendance isn't great, and the stadium is one of the least modern, which means profitability is tough. The team needs a star. Trading Yi for Shane Battier or whoever else they could get right now does nothing to help keep the Bucks in Milwaukee. On the other hand, it sends a message to future rookies that if they complain, they don't have to play there. This year Noah and Yi declined Milwaukee. Maybe next year more will do so.

I really think it's better to lose Yi for nothing, and I think Larry Harris feels the same. The Bucks really do have more leverage than Yi, and they'd be foolish to forget it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #135
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I wanna know for sure that if he sits out and plays with his old team, if he can enter the draft again next year.
No he cannot. You can enter the draft again a year after the last time you play a professional game. Many are saying he could play just for the Chinese National team, and that's probably true - but if the national team pays him, Bucks could fight it big time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: