Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #61
tanibanana
Local High School Star

Default Re: KAT signs Supermax deal. 5 years 190 million.

Just about right...
tanibanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #62
yeaaaman
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
Those 23ppg by Wiggins were the emptiest 23ppg in the history of basketball. He had no impact out there whatsoever unless we are talking about contributing to losing.

I guess my thought is they probably weren't as empty as the 17.5 or whatever he put up this year was.
yeaaaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #63
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
KG was the best player on a Championship team. Also the punishment for the Joe Smith deal damaged the Wolves for much of Garnett's prime. They lost 5 straight first round picks. That's a huge blow. No other superstar has led a franchise that had to deal with something like that. And that's while losing Marbury.
I don't much whether losing Marbury was a bad thing or a good thing. It's almost a standard to make fun of Marbury these days. I watched him during the "liveathlon" throughout the day. I think when I woke up he was still broadcasting. Missed the vaseline bit, however.

The knock on KG has been that by taking his gargantuan deal he shut down the franchise's ability to pick up worthy talent. But yeah, now reading up about Joe Smith and that tampering scandal, they kind of compare.

Won't KAT's deal stunt the future of the team?
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #64
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
I don't much whether losing Marbury was a bad thing or a good thing. It's almost a standard to make fun of Marbury these days. I watched him during the "liveathlon" throughout the day. I think when I woke up he was still broadcasting. Missed the vaseline bit, however.

The knock on KG has been that by taking his gargantuan deal he shut down the franchise's ability to pick up worthy talent. But yeah, now reading up about Joe Smith and that tampering scandal, they kind of compare.

Not in the sense that he isn't worth the contract. His contract is fine. Its Wiggins and Dieng's that are real killers.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #65
AirTupac
Magic and Rob Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
Not in the sense that he isn't worth the contract. His contract is fine. Its Wiggins and Dieng's that are real killers.

Your team is a dumpster fire and has been since KG left
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #66
FKAri
5-time NBA All-Star

That's a lotta money for a ball player.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #67
baudkarma
I usually hit open layups

"Earvin (Magic) Johnson has signed a 25-year contract for $1 million a year, starting in 1984, Jerry Buss, the Los Angles Lakers' owner, said tonight."

-NY Times, Jun 26 1981

And I remember people were saying that was a ridiculous amount of money to pay a pro athlete.

I'm gonna go ahead and link the whole article because it's pretty interesting. Like how Jerry Buss said that after Magics playing days were over, he could move into the Lakers front office.
baudkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #68
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS

Marbury losing his mind for some live broadcast doesn't change the fact that he was a great talent that Minnie missed up until they got Cassell and Spree. Garnett definitely should not be blamed for taking a deal that reflected his market value, and seeing as Minnie is Minnie they weren't going to be bringing in any superstars as free agents. Can you think of them ever signing a current All-Star from another team? I can't. They possibly could have traded for one but losing five straight first round picks as the punishment for the Smith deal hurt their ability to trade for talent just as much as it hurt them on the court. It's an all-time huge blunder.

Towns' deal takes away from their cap space but that's his market value. No team out there isn't going to not pay a guy like him that contract. It would hurt them far more to lose him and if they don't give him max dollars then someone else will. It would be nice if he just took the MLE but that's not going to happen. It's not the player's responsibility to take less than they can to help the team. It's the owners like Taylor that create things like the cap to limit their own ability to sign outside talent and then created the supermax to increase their ability to keep their own stars. When the player takes the cap-eating supermax deal he's just following the owners' plan for the league.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #69
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Marbury losing his mind for some live broadcast doesn't change the fact that he was a great talent that Minnie missed up until they got Cassell and Spree. Garnett definitely should not be blamed for taking a deal that reflected his market value, and seeing as Minnie is Minnie they weren't going to be bringing in any superstars as free agents. Can you think of them ever signing a current All-Star from another team? I can't. They possibly could have traded for one but losing five straight first round picks as the punishment for the Smith deal hurt their ability to trade for talent just as much as it hurt them on the court. It's an all-time huge blunder.

Towns' deal takes away from their cap space but that's his market value. No team out there isn't going to not pay a guy like him that contract. It would hurt them far more to lose him and if they don't give him max dollars then someone else will. It would be nice if he just took the MLE but that's not going to happen. It's not the player's responsibility to take less than they can to help the team. It's the owners like Taylor that create things like the cap to limit their own ability to sign outside talent and then created the supermax to increase their ability to keep their own stars. When the player takes the cap-eating supermax deal he's just following the owners' plan for the league.
Well. Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

It'd be interesting to sketch out the owners of all clubs in the NBA, and see how that correlates to the team results, back-of-an-envelope level of scrutiny. I don't know them, and there are owner groups in some of them, but it's a very interesting variable, isn't it.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: