Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Arizona's "Right to discriminate" bill

It's not hard to understand. But we are not South Africa in Aparteid times. You shouldn't have to be stopped by police and questioned just for being Hispanic. That applies to any ethnicity. At the airport, I understand becuz it is a matter of safety and possible international transit. Proving you are who u are in that setting is appropriate, not crossing the damn streets keeping to yourself and happen to be around a jackass officer who wanna fck with you. This is America, Gestapo like inquiry isn't gunna be endorsed by everybody just based on a single ethnic identification, esp if one happens to fit that description.

Most people don't react well to racial profiling, I don't get why that is hard to understand.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 02-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    If you lived in a shithole that was Mexico you would be crossing the border too. Those people live in a desperate situation of course they are going to attempt desperate things just to live adequate lives. Lets also not pretend that some of what influence the entire situation is happening in America its self.
    Some people don't like to admit that we could implement a lot more effort and policing to cut the ease of illegal immigration down.

Fact is, illegal immigration work benefits not only the immigrant and their family but many owners and business owners as well whose bottomline is healthier due to hiring insanely cheap and efficient workers.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 02-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

If you lived in a shithole that was Mexico you would be crossing the border too. Those people live in a desperate situation of course they are going to attempt desperate things just to live adequate lives. Lets also not pretend that some of what influence the entire situation is happening in America its self.
    I would certainly want to leave Mexico if I was in a desperate situation. But in a legal way. Not in a way where I break laws to jump a border and become a dishwasher and cry foul because the government won't give me more and more. There's always going to be alot of struggle stories. But when does it become a story about protecting borders, jobs, and a way of life?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    Some people don't like to admit that we could implement a lot more effort and policing to cut the ease of illegal immigration down.

Fact is, illegal immigration work benefits not only the immigrant and their family but many owners and business owners as well whose bottomline is healthier due to hiring insanely cheap and efficient workers.
    You are right. We could.do a hell of alot better than what we're doing now. I say tanks, choppers, and an elaborate ground force with ample technology to halt illegal border activities.

And illegal immigration is not good. Illegal immigrants put a heavy strain on the system like education, welfare, and security. I can't blame Arizona for wanting to control the influx of illegal immigrants. No one else is going to do it so why shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
    I would certainly want to leave Mexico if I was in a desperate situation. But in a legal way. Not in a way where I break laws to jump a border and become a dishwasher and cry foul because the government won't give me more and more. There's always going to be alot of struggle stories. But when does it become a story about protecting borders, jobs, and a way of life?
    It is unrealistic to expect people to act out of their nature. People are going to break laws if it is a matter of survival. A lot of the issues in Mexico starts with their corruption but America could be doing a lot more to improve the lives of Mexicans so they don't cross the border in the first place.

btw how can a Mexican immigrate to America legally??? other than a handful most probably wouldn't be eligible.

btw how can a Mexican immigrate to America legally??? other than a handful most probably wouldn't be eligible.
    Trust me there are Europeans who have the same issue. That can be lobbied by immigration advocates. Why should we leave our borders unprotected and porous?

It is unrealistic to expect people to act out of their nature. People are going to break laws if it is a matter of survival. A lot of the issues in Mexico starts with their corruption but America could be doing a lot more to improve the lives of Mexicans so they don't cross the border in the first place.
    America doesn't have to do anything for Mexico. Mexico should do something for Mexico. As far as free trade what else does America have to do for a neighbor? Arrest their politicians or pay their debts? Let's be realistic about national security and staying out of our neighbors governing.

Trust me there are Europeans who have the same issue. That can be lobbied by immigration advocates. Why should we leave our borders unprotected and porous?
    You shouldn't but if the quality of life in Mexico wasn't a problem than the border issue wouldn't be a problem.

You are right. We could.do a hell of alot better than what we're doing now. I say tanks, choppers, and an elaborate ground force with ample technology to halt illegal border activities.

And illegal immigration is not good. Illegal immigrants put a heavy strain on the system like education, welfare, and security. I can't blame Arizona for wanting to control the influx of illegal immigrants. No one else is going to do it so why shouldn't they?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...603b9fd9577f0e

Don't worry, under Obama, your government is expelling more people than ever. Shouldn't that make you feel proud? You conveniently forget that illegal immigrants also help fill job niches and cheapen labour costs, helping American owned business make more profits. Or is that a terrible thing for America too?

America doesn't have to do anything for Mexico. Mexico should do something for Mexico. As far as free trade what else does America have to do for a neighbor? Arrest their politicians or pay their debts? Let's be realistic about national security and staying out of our neighbors governing.
    Americans do a lot for Mexico already it is just that it is ineffective or outright negative for both nations. American's have been killing and arresting threats to their nation throughout their history not sure why they don't do it more actively in their backyard. They could definitely go after the cartels that are also a risk to American lives.

I agree except I still see Arizona's methods as intrusive to the people who already live here.

The immigrants do strain much of the allocated government resources but we live in a society where individual capitalistic gain is priority over any collective good. It's how we operate now. A man's business and his family will trump why is better for the country every time in a recession.

Our free market secular idea of prosperity actually is a hinderance to me when the country isn't thriving and in a cycle of depression.

Very good NBA starter

All this bill is is legalized discrimination. I believe it will backfire in a big way. Can't wait till white, christian, heterosexuals start getting discriminated against because its against someone's "beliefs" to do business with them. I wonder how quickly these same legislators would pass a law that was based on Muslim beliefs.

National High School Star

Discrimination is always harmful. Unless people willingly fight again it....the younger generation will not know better. People don't seem to understand that we're fighting not for today, but for a better tomorrow.

I'm in South Korea. I was at dinner with my girl. It's a big sit down restaurant and so people are all sitting quite close to each other. There are two drunk old Korean men sitting next to us. One of them leans over and asks me "Where are you from?" I say California...he doesn't understand. I say again, "California...America". He then understands what I've said and says Okay and goes back to his conversation with the other old man speaking in Korean.

The twist...he doesn't know my gf is Korean (she looks mixed). This guy is on some soap box preaching to his friend about how I'm BS that I'm not white/blue eyes so I'm not a real American. That I'm from somewhere else but don't want to say that. That this is the problem with society nowadays...people not wanting to be who they are. Says maybe I'm Persian and how can never trust those people (I'm not Persian btw lol).

To me, it was a bit lol. I know he's an old man and his views will never change. My gf was so mad. She just like couldn't eat etc. For her it's annoying because she is a Korean citizen by birth..has Korean parents etc but is 1/4th Japanese. As such, she looks different (and much hotter). Other Koreans are always surprised she is Korean etc...annoys her like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    So when Utah passes this Bill with a large Mormon population I guess that means I should move my black ass out of the state immediately because they believe skin pigmentation is a curse from God?

I have to starve or wait for food because people don't want to serve blacks?

This leaves a lot of problems because I have paid and continue to pay taxes that benefit small and large businesses. I risked my ass in a war and was stationed in Utah I didn't ask to come here.

This bill is some bullshit plain and simple.
    Unless the Mormons were happy to see their religion dissolve i don't think they'll being preventing the serving of blacks. But yeh, don't live in a place you think hates you for the colour of your skin, that's bad for the psyche.
    Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    many religious people believed the bible justified slavery

many religious people saw blacks as subhuman

many religious people saw interracial couples as blasphemous and evil

many religious people saw women as lesser beings to be controlled

many religious people believed harassing, beating, and even killing followers of different religions wasn't a big deal
    And what is your point?

They are entitled to believe all that if they so desire, but there is a difference between refusing service and beating, killing and controlling people (how is forcing people to serve people they don't want to serve not controlling exactly). So now it's just 'those with opinions that differ from the mainstream must be controlled.'