Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #271
Dro
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Michael Jordan : The Legend Of The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
As someone who has spent the past few years combing through a paltry 1-2% of 60's players careers

Trust me, it's possible.

If I had 30% of Elgin's career I'd already exceed 5 hours.

I've got an hour long Wilt mix of a random 2.4% his field goals made alone. Put in rebounds, blocks, assists, I've got at least 2 solid hours of a guy who only about 2% of his career exists on film. And even his routine plays look so epic due to his physical presence people have already asked me to do that because they want to see it all.

The guy who's making those Jordan videos is brilliant, he's paving the way for other people to do this about other athletes. A similar video could be made for Bird, or Magic, or Barkley, or Shaq, or anyone who's entire career exists on film if any fan of theirs really wanted to make it happen.
Bro, if you can make a 2 hour Wilt video, even a 1 hour video, that would be greatly appreciated. I know me and many others would love to see that. I know thats a lot of work though.

Edit - If you've already made one, I must have missed it. Point me in that direction.

Last edited by Dro : 02-17-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #272
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
Bro, if you can make a 2 hour Wilt video, even a 1 hour video, that would be greatly appreciated. I know me and many others would love to see that. I know thats a lot of work though.

Edit - If you've already made one, I must have missed it. Point me in that direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7jVTJ_CIE

CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #273
Dro
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Right on bro....Damnit, I can't watch it at work but I get off in a couple hours..I'm going home and checking this one out over a nice
Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #274
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro

Right on bro....Damnit, I can't watch it at work but I get off in a couple hours..I'm going home and checking this one out over a nice
Sure thing, let me know what you think after or if you've got questions
Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #275
Dro
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Ok, definitely. I'm sure it'll be great though, pretty much all your videos are.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #276
Dro
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Must say this shit's pretty ridiculous. His end to end speed is crazy. He's just as fast on the court as Lebron, Iverson, Kidd, etc, if not faster. A lot of his blocks are goaltends but it just shows how impressive his shot blocking is because a lot of them are so high up and gets them before they come down. And you can see his wingspan, that flip shot he does from right in front of the rim is hard for most to do consistently because most of us are shooting up at the rim so its hard to flip a shot up and have it go in consistently but Wilt was basically at the rim just by stretching. Then he has the touch to go with it. You can see his passing. The only thing you don't really see Wilt doing is shooting long jump shots. I've seen him take plenty of mid-range. Then again, that was a different game and big men weren't standing around launching 3's..He was dominating in the areas where he was needed. Scoring, rebounding, shot blocking, passing if needed. I don't know if he's better than Kareem. They're both better than Shaq and Russell obviously IMO...

Edit - and Wilt was doing the Dirk before Dirk. This dude Wilt doing 1 leg, turnaround, fade away bank shots

Last edited by Dro : 02-17-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #277
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
Must say this shit's pretty ridiculous. His end to end speed is crazy. He's just as fast on the court as Lebron, Iverson, Kidd, etc, if not faster. A lot of his blocks are goaltends but it just shows how impressive his shot blocking is because a lot of them are so high up and gets them before they come down. And you can see his wingspan, that flip shot he does from right in front of the rim is hard for most to do consistently because most of us are shooting up at the rim so its hard to flip a shot up and have it go in consistently but Wilt was basically at the rim just by stretching. Then he has the touch to go with it. You can see his passing. The only thing you don't really see Wilt doing is shooting long jump shots. I've seen him take plenty of mid-range. Then again, that was a different game and big men weren't standing around launching 3's..He was dominating in the areas where he was needed. Scoring, rebounding, shot blocking, passing if needed. I don't know if he's better than Kareem. They're both better than Shaq and Russell obviously IMO...

Edit - and Wilt was doing the Dirk before Dirk. This dude Wilt doing 1 leg, turnaround, fade away bank shots
In ISO situations when looking to score he only posts up. He'll stand in triple threat occasionally particularly late in his career to help keep the lanes open when his role was more defensive, but he'll never shoot from triple threat, it's only to pass. This is deliberate, what he's doing is taking advantage of his size, and strength. He's bigger and stronger than everyone, and fundamentally in basketball, that's how you play if that is what you are. A lot of bigs need to learn triple threat options but that's because they don't have his size advantage in literally every single match up. Most players are forced to match up with opponents bigger than them from time to time and so require the variety. Wilt only needed to post up because he was so overwhelmingly dominant, and he did the same basic things on either side of the block:

Priority #1: Straight to the rim via baseline or deep middle. Either a spin, or drop-step/crab dribble, finish is usually a dunk but he will gently lay it in or sometimes finger roll if he has to put it up before he makes it there. It's almost always a dunk though. He does some up and unders sometimes to get a defender in the air first but it often isn't necessary.

Priority #2: Middle, which is a finger roll on either block. The finger roll is his choice of finish, the moves he uses to get to the middle are again either a drop step or crab dribble, and again occasionally he will up and under before the release. Most players throughout history have executed the same footwork to go to the middle as Wilt, (Shaq, Dwight, Hakeem anyone really) but the primary release taught and used by players throughout history is typically a hook. Wilt didn't shoot hooks, he shot those finger rolls. Which IMO are superior to most players hooks, because he is more likely to get hit on his arm and draw a foul, and because his arm releases the ball so much closer and lower to the basket. His release is so close to the basket it's sometimes as soft and close of a release as one would expect a layup to be.

Priority #3: Fall away jumper. If a defensive player denies him the base line or middle he's got option 3, to just shoot that turnaround jumper. This is a 3rd dimension to his scoring most big men lack, such as Dwight Howard. He doesn't have this option. It exponentially increases the threat of Wilt scoring, 60% of Wilt's post ups where he was looking to score are said to result with this shot which means the defense was doing a damn good job keeping him out of the middle and baseline... but he still scored a shit ton of points off this shot so it was very important to his career success as a scorer.

These isolation post-ups of him creating his own offense encapsulate 1/4 to 1/3rd of his points, the other 2/3rds to 3/4's being Transition plays, Backdoor/P&R/G&G two person game type plays where the guard/forward helped create the play, and finally of course his tremendous sweeping and finishing off of Offensive Rebounds.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 02-17-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #278
Dro
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
In ISO situations when looking to score he only posts up. He'll stand in triple threat occasionally particularly late in his career to help keep the lanes open when his role was more defensive, but he'll never shoot from triple threat, it's only to pass. This is deliberate, what he's doing is taking advantage of his size, and strength. He's bigger and stronger than everyone, and fundamentally in basketball, that's how you play if that is what you are. A lot of bigs need to learn triple threat options but that's because they don't have his size advantage in literally every single match up. Most players are forced to match up with opponents bigger than them from time to time and so require the variety. Wilt only needed to post up because he was so overwhelmingly dominant, and he did the same basic things on either side of the block:

Priority #1: Straight to the rim via baseline or deep middle. Either a spin, or drop-step/crab dribble, finish is usually a dunk but he will gently lay it in or sometimes finger roll if he has to put it up before he makes it there. It's almost always a dunk though. He does some up and unders sometimes to get a defender in the air first but it often isn't necessary.

Priority #2: Middle, which is a finger roll on either block. The finger roll is his choice of finish, the moves he uses to get to the middle are again either a drop step or crab dribble, and again occasionally he will up and under before the release. Most players throughout history have executed the same footwork to go to the middle as Wilt, (Shaq, Dwight, Hakeem anyone really) but the primary release taught and used by players throughout history is typically a hook. Wilt didn't shoot hooks, he shot those finger rolls. Which IMO are superior to most players hooks, because he is more likely to get hit on his arm and draw a foul, and because his arm releases the ball so much closer and lower to the basket. His release is so close to the basket it's sometimes as soft and close of a release as one would expect a layup to be.

Priority #3: Fall away jumper. If a defensive player denies him the base line or middle he's got option 3, to just shoot that turnaround jumper. This is a 3rd dimension to his scoring most big men lack, such as Dwight Howard. He doesn't have this option. It exponentially increases the threat of Wilt scoring, 60% of Wilt's post ups where he was looking to score are said to result with this shot which means the defense was doing a damn good job keeping him out of the middle and baseline... but he still scored a shit ton of points off this shot so it was very important to his career success as a scorer.
Yes, that fall away is nice. And yeah when he shoots those finger rolls, he's right at the rim. I don't see that changing in today's game either, he'd still be pretty dominant. He can get up quick when he wants and he has pretty good footwork. Also very smart, fakes a pass as soon as he catches in the post many times, this puts his defender off balance a bit possibly looking for cutters because he knows Wilt will hit the cutter.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #279
Straight_Ballin
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
None of you must've watched even 20 minutes of this footage...There is nobody touching this man, damn the era...I mean, this must be the twilight zone...this video is ridiculous..people going crazy over on youtube and you come to ish and Lebron is King, lol...

This video shits on any footage ever put together showcasing kobe or bran. Only shaq can be in the conversation since he had the most dominant peak.
Straight_Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #280
SamuraiSWISH
Very good NBA starter

Happy B-Day to da GOAT
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #281
Dro
NBA lottery pick

ehh..bump cause I felt like it......