Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #226
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Nov 28: Harden Goes "Home" - Rockets(7-7) @ OKC(11-4) 8ET/7CT

So when's an appropriate time to start talking about how much Ibaka has improved and where he stands among the other best PFs in the league? 15 more games? 20 more?

I'm not saying he has a case for best PF in the league, because he doesn't; but he's playing really well right now. Last night was the fourth or fifth game this season where he had a legit argument for player of the game. Hard to give it to him, though, over a guy who put up 37-7-4 an 12/23 shooting, but he's been in that discussion in close to 1/3rd of OKC's games this year; and, considering who else is on the team, that's impressive. Oh, and he's only 23 years old.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #227
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ibaka has been playing like a Top 10 PF, that mid range is money. LOVE how Westbrook ignores Perkins calls for the ball and instead sets up Ibaka over and over. That pick n pop is awesome.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #228
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Ibaka has been playing like a Top 10 PF, that mid range is money. LOVE how Westbrook ignores Perkins calls for the ball and instead sets up Ibaka over and over. That pick n pop is awesome.
I think he was already a borderline top 10 PF coming into this season, so that doesn't do him much justice. Is he a top 5 PF right now? Probably not if you still consider the PF's who are playing center this year (Duncan, KG, Bosh), but he'd still be right on the cusp of top 5 in my opinion. Obviously when Dirk comes back that knocks him down a spot, and if/when Blake gets going that will bump him down another spot, but has Ibaka not, at the very least, been as good as Griffin this year? He's not just blocking shots this year on defense, either. His actual on-ball and pick-n-roll defense is much better and pretty solid.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #229
shoops
High School JV MVP

shoops has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Weird, Lamb hits 2 three pointers in 2 mins last night but he got assigned to the D-League today. He does need to gain his confidence back though, outside of last nights game, he hasn't really contributed much.
Lol don't worry about that. From watching him during preseason, I have to say he really has a lot to develop, right now he can't do much other than shoot. His defense sucks despite his length and he is passive on offense if he doesn't have the ball. He can probably be a pretty good scorer if developed well, though, but it'll definitely take time.
shoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #230
PyrrhusX
GOATbrook >>>

PyrrhusX has an OK reputation so far

The thing that would make me rank Ibaka higher than other PF's is if he developed a post game, which would really take his offense to another level. I will take and almost automatic midrange game with a decent to great post game over James Harden any day of the week. Im also quite surprised at the rate he is still blocking shots.

I seriously think next year will be Ibakas breakout year and if he can average 20/10/3 blks a game (which I think is entirely possible), OKC will have an insane core. Thats not to say he isnt great now, because he is and has been our best player in a couple of games as a result of his defensive and offensive impact. I also love how he is hitting them 3's
PyrrhusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #231
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrrhusX
The thing that would make me rank Ibaka higher than other PF's is if he developed a post game, which would really take his offense to another level. I will take and almost automatic midrange game with a decent to great post game over James Harden any day of the week. Im also quite surprised at the rate he is still blocking shots.

I seriously think next year will be Ibakas breakout year and if he can average 20/10/3 blks a game (which I think is entirely possible), OKC will have an insane core. Thats not to say he isnt great now, because he is and has been our best player in a couple of games as a result of his defensive and offensive impact. I also love how he is hitting them 3's
I agree, if/when he gets consistently better at catching and scoring in the post he will and should be ranked even higher. But, right now, after a healthy Dirk, Bosh, Z-Bo, Love, LMA, Josh Smith, and maybe Blake Griffin, I can't think of any other PF's that I'd definitely take over Ibaka. I guess if you still consider KG and Duncan PF's he'd be closer to #10 than top 5, but still. Good thing is, he's only 23, and has gotten better each year. This may not be the year he takes "the leap" but he's getting close.

I don't think he'll ever average 20 PPG as long as he's playing with Durant and Westbrook unless Westbrook turns into more of a true PG and becomes an 18/9 guy instead of a 22/7 player. Having 3+ 20 PPG scorers on the same team is extremely rare. But, at his peak, I could see him being an 18/9/3 player.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #232
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I don't think he'll ever average 20 PPG as long as he's playing with Durant and Westbrook unless Westbrook turns into more of a true PG and becomes an 18/9 guy instead of a 22/7 player. Having 3+ 20 PPG scorers on the same team is extremely rare. But, at his peak, I could see him being an 18/9/3 player.
You know Westbrook is averaging 8.6 assists this season and 22/9.2 in last 10 games. With most of those assists being from setting up Ibaka in the post or mid range. Westbrook is already playing like a real PG, Ibaka just needs to step up consistently vs elite big men and not jump on every pump fake. Gasol, Howard, Z-Bo, Griffin, Jordan, Duncan will be his challenges in the playoffs. And if he makes it out of there victorious, he will have to face Boshtrich the master, the guy who made him and Perkins useless in the Finals. Only by beating his archnemesis can Ibaka reach the "next level".
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #233
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
You know Westbrook is averaging 8.6 assists this season and 22/9.2 in last 10 games. With most of those assists being from setting up Ibaka in the post or mid range. Westbrook is already playing like a real PG, Ibaka just needs to step up consistently vs elite big men and not jump on every pump fake. Gasol, Howard, Z-Bo, Griffin, Jordan, Duncan will be his challenges in the playoffs. And if he makes it out of there victorious, he will have to face Boshtrich the master, the guy who made him and Perkins useless in the Finals. Only by beating his archnemesis can Ibaka reach the "next level".
Yes, I'm aware. I've watched all but the two Pistons games this year. I've been impressed with Westbrook as a PG this year. It's been his best start to a season in that regard in my opinion. Even in some of the games he's struggled shooting the ball, he's still had higher assist numbers than usual. Use to, when he was having one of his 6-for-20 type shooting nights, he'd have like 4 assists and 5 turnovers to go with it. For instance, against the Hornets he was 3-for-12 from the floor, but finished with 12 assists and just 2 turnovers. Against the Bulls he went 7-for-22 from the floor but still finished with 12 assists and just two turnovers. The Bulls game was most impressive to me because, after a horrendous third quarter where he jacked-up and bricked a bunch of awful shots, he came out in the fourth and played the role of distributor/playmaker, and helped OKC come away with a win in a tight game. I think that game showed a level of growth and maturity in his game; and, overall, I think he's shown that same level of maturity and growth throughout the season, so far.

I'm going to remain skeptical until I see it for another 20-30 games, and I expect him to revert to his old ways at times, but so far I have no complaints. If he can turn into a 22 PPG and 8 APG player, and Ibaka continues to improve and becomes a consistent 18/8/3 player, OKC is going to be even more scary.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #234
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

Yar har har! Go thunder
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #235
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ibaka been better than Pau this year by far.. Better fit for Laker system too.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #236
PyrrhusX
GOATbrook >>>

PyrrhusX has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Ibaka been better than Pau this year by far.. Better fit for Laker system too.

What are you insinuating?
PyrrhusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #237
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrrhusX
What are you insinuating?

Nothing of course a man can dream.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: