Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Black Christian here, ask me anything

yup
    Last edited by BuGzBuNNy; 07-18-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    Preferably not too too biblical since I'm not the most knowledgable person to ask about things pertained inside the good book and I'd hate to give someone inaccurate information.
    So what makes you 'Christian' if you don't know shit about the bible? Isn't knowing/believing the content within the good book the basis of being Christian? I mean it's not hereditary like race, nationality, etc.

Also, what is the name of the dog in your avatar?

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

I call her Debra

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Are you aware of how ironic your religious belief is? It's funny how black christians could could reference a bible verse to condone homophobia yet they forget that the white men did the same thing to justify enslaving their people. Does anyone remind you that the faith that you're preaching was the same faith that subjugated your people. Did anyone note the reasons there are so many black Christians out there is not because of divine truth but because slave-masters converted your ancestors?
    If you're a black Christian, you have a real short memory - Chris Rock

Ok, nice meeting you. I'll better leave as fast as I can. k, thx, bye.

Banned

I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?
    Just some examples, sure there's more, too lazy to look:

Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'.

Some Christians and Muslims believed the descendants of Canaan were Africans, so naturally they used the above text to justify the institution of slavery.

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5)

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9)

Banned

But then again you have...

I'd have to read for context, without it one can make anything of a quote.
    The context being, don't steal slaves and try to profit from selling them, but owning them and beating them to death under the right circumstances is completely legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
    Did anyone note the reasons there are so many black Christians out there is not because of divine truth but because slave-masters converted your ancestors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa

Christianity is now one of the two most widely practiced religions in Africa. There has been tremendous growth of Christians in Africa - coupled by a relative decline in adherence to traditional African religions. Only nine million Christians were in Africa in 1900, but by the year 2000, there were an estimated 380 million Christians.

Can we blame Slavery for this too?

Banned

Thanks for the quotes. I'll put on my to do list to read all the quotes regarding slavery for context. I'm reading different takes on it on various sites. I can recall my old pastor speaking on it but I don't remember his stance.
    Whatever the context in the bible, there is no question that Southern pastors during the pre Civil War era used those passages and others to justify the institution of slavery, especially when those pesky abolitionists started spreading their dangerous propaganda.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler

Yes, slavery and colonialism.

Not airballing my layups anymore bigdaddyfunk's Avatar

I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?
    You kind of missed his point. He's saying that the ONLY reason that you are a Christian is because white people at the time needed an excuse to rationalize their cruel and inhumane actions; they claimed that it was okay to enslave a population of uncivilized 'monkeys' so that they could "save" them. In reality, the only thing they had on their minds was money and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler

Definitely. Christianity was introduced into Africa through European countries on a mission to expand their trade empires.

So basically, without slavery I wouldn't have become a Christian? Is that the point I missed?
    Can't say that definitively, but without slavery odds are most black Christians probably wouldn't be Christians today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyfunk
    You kind of missed his point. He's saying that the ONLY reason that you are a Christian is because white people at the time needed an excuse to rationalize their cruel and inhumane actions; they claimed that it was okay to enslave a population of uncivilized 'monkeys' so that they could "save" them. In reality, the only thing they had on their minds was money and power.
    Which is why 'Black Christian' seems like a contradiction to me.

So basically, without slavery I wouldn't have become a Christian? Is that the point I missed?
    I think the point is moreso your ancestors more than likely had the Christian faith forced upon them and you're the result of that brainwashing and conditioning propagating through the generations. I don't know your personal family history, so this may be a generalization that doesn't fit you.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

the slaves were taught about evolution from white slave masters!!!...you're not allowed to believe in science!!!

This line of reasoningcanbe used for every form of your life. Even your name.

Let's face it. Were all brainwashed. Were all trained to believe what we believe.

As far as the notion that the Bible condones slavery? Nonsense. That scripture has been taken out of context.

I also find it ironic that Chris (a name derived from Christ) Rock would have such a stance