Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #196
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: News Anchor Gets Called Fat

RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #197
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #198
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We need to come to the conclusion that this e-mail was not bullying,... but rather somebody that was being unintentionally inappropriate.

Huge difference.

I wonder if the e-mail was somehow reworded a different way... would it still be inappropriate?

Or is it all together inappropriate to even address this subject to her?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #199
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
no most people in the US think THIS is healthy weight:

which is why anorexia is also a major problem in this country

No...."most" do not. This is a shame thrown out there by the media, and bimbos eat it up. Most men...MOST ive EVER spoken to, along with women like some "meat on the bones" and acknowledge that these so called fashionistas and magazines out there just hurl around BS.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #200
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
We need to come to the conclusion that this e-mail was not bullying,... but rather somebody that was being unintentionally inappropriate.

Huge difference.

I wonder if the e-mail was somehow reworded a different way... would it still be inappropriate?

Or is it all together inappropriate to even address this subject to her?
It doesn't really matter how it's worded, does it? The entire basis of the person writing the email was to let the anchorwoman know that she is overweight. I'm certain that she is well aware and I fail to see how that impacts her credentials as a journalist.

One thing (her being a journalist) and the other thing (her being overweight) have nothing to do with each other, so there really isn't any possible way for the email to be "appropriate" in my mind.

I'm not saying that a compelling argument couldn't be made that she completely overreacted when probably the best course of action would have been to delete it and move on... But arguing that this letter can somehow be justified as a constructive criticism? I don't see that.

It's funny, because I actually work in a newsroom (not broadcast, but a media newsroom nonetheless). Our most dedicated, talented and capable reporter is an overweight woman. The biggest ditz who gets all of the lowest ranking assignments is the one who most outside observers would probably consider the most physically attractive.

If I were advising a young person who to model their career after, it would be the former without a shadow of a doubt.

You can have an open and frank discussion about obesity in America and its impact on everything from ability to perform everyday tasks to the health care system... But using numbers on a scale to rate a person's professional acumen? I don't see the correlation and the letter-writer attempting to connect those dots came off like an incredible @ss.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-05-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #201
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
It doesn't really matter how it's worded, does it? The entire basis of the person writing the email was to let the anchorwoman know that she is overweight. I'm certain that she is well aware and I fail to see how that impacts her credentials as a journalist.

Now wait a second...

The basis of the email was to let the anchorwoman know that children watch her show...
and being overweight is setting a bad example. (that can be debated)

Now, it's not like he saw her randomly and decided to write this...
He saw her years ago... and noticed her figure is still the same today.

Personally I wouldn't even consider that woman "Obese"... that's probably
why the story is getting the attention it's getting.

While she might be technically obese... It's not the type of obesity that most people associate the word with.

She's "a few extra pounds"... not obese. IMO.

Quote:
One thing (her being a journalist) and the other thing (her being overweight) have nothing to do with each other, so there really isn't any possible way for the email to be "appropriate" in my mind.

I think the emailer was pointing out that if she lost weight...
she'd inspire others to do the same. (because she is a public figure).

No?

but yea... I agree... there's no real way to be appropriate about it.

But let me try:

Dear Jennifer,

I've seen your show throughout the years and I wanted to make a suggestion that might
seem inappropriate, so I apologize if this email offends you, That is not my intention.
Being a public figure gives you the opportunity to inspire others, and while you may
be perfectly happy with your current body weight... making a change in this area could
set a great example to others, especially to the young women that watch your show daily.
The only reason I'm encouraging you to consider this change, is because you are a public
figure, and I believe many others will follow your path. Again, I apologize if this email
seems inappropriate, but you have the power of influence... and I only suggest that you use
this power to it's fullest potential.

At least it's better... no?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #202
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Rolando has decent reputationRolando has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
is that jolie pic real...

Looks fine to me.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #203
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
No...."most" do not. This is a shame thrown out there by the media, and bimbos eat it up. Most men...MOST ive EVER spoken to, along with women like some "meat on the bones" and acknowledge that these so called fashionistas and magazines out there just hurl around BS.
Yeah but some meat don't mean the whole turkey. I like my women with some meat but by that I mean not with a gut that is bigger than mine
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #204
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
Now wait a second...

The basis of the email was to let the anchorwoman know that children watch her show...
and being overweight is setting a bad example. (that can be debated)

Now, it's not like he saw her randomly and decided to write this...
He saw her years ago... and noticed her figure is still the same today.

Personally I wouldn't even consider that woman "Obese"... that's probably
why the story is getting the attention it's getting.

While she might be technically obese... It's not the type of obesity that most people associate the word with.

She's "a few extra pounds"... not obese. IMO.

I think the emailer was pointing out that if she lost weight...
she'd inspire others to do the same. (because she is a public figure).

No?

but yea... I agree... there's no real way to be appropriate about it.

But let me try:

Dear Jennifer,

I've seen your show throughout the years and I wanted to make a suggestion that might
seem inappropriate, so I apologize if this email offends you, That is not my intention.
Being a public figure gives you the opportunity to inspire others, and while you may
be perfectly happy with your current body weight... making a change in this area could
set a great example to others, especially to the young women that watch your show daily.
The only reason I'm encouraging you to consider this change, is because you are a public
figure, and I believe many others will follow your path. Again, I apologize if this email
seems inappropriate, but you have the power of influence... and I only suggest that you use
this power to it's fullest potential.

At least it's better... no?

She's a journalist doing her job as a reporter. If someone's child looks up to her as being a role model, I'm quite certain it would have more to do with her profession than the shape of her body.

There is WAY too much coddling of children these days. Am I supposed to believe that, because a child occasionally sees one overweight anchorwoman on the local news, the experience will somehow induce the child to grow up and emulate her body type? Especially when our industry is over-run with women who look like they just stepped off of the runway (many of whom don't have the credentials to host a public access show)?

F#ck out of here with that. This is one overweight woman in a sea of "beautiful" people and this guy wants me to fear for his child's future?

It is just a ridiculous premise, all the way around.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-05-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #205
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

who's the bigger douchebag

this email writer guy
or the driver who harassed the chick fil a drive thru worker
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #206
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
who's the bigger douchebag

this email writer guy
or the driver who harassed the chick fil a drive thru worker

easily the guy who went after the drive thru worker
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #207
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
There is WAY too much coddling of children these days. Am I supposed to believe that, because a child occasionally sees one overweight anchorwoman on the local news, the experience will somehow induce the child will grow up to emulate her body type?

That's not what I was implying... (the guy who wrote the email may have)

I was saying that there might be handful of obese people that watch the show daily (not occasionally)... that get inspired by Jennifer's weight loss... and follow her path.

I'm not trying to justify the dude's email...

But I will say it's definitely not bullying...

and let me say this...

Sexy news anchors distract male viewers says Study

Quote:
Male viewers snap to attention at the sight of a female anchor they find attractive, but are distracted by her looks and therefore less likely to remember what she had to say, a new study from researchers at Indiana University has found.

"Men might want to reread the story in the newspaper," AOL News quoted Maria Elizabeth Rabe, one of the study's authors, as saying.

Rabe and her colleague Leila Samson wanted to see how sexy anchors affect men's ability to retain the actual news, so they devised an experiment in which they asked hundreds of them to watch the same 24-year-old anchor deliver a broadcast twice -- once dressed in modest attire and another time in something more revealing, complete with jewelry, makeup and cleavage.

The study found that men were more likely to closely watch the sexy anchors but less likely to remember what they said. So networks that hire attractive news anchors may get higher ratings but have less-informed male viewers as a result.

The study has been published online in the journal Communication Research.

I personally hate it when I see sexy news anchor... I realized this when I use to watch Fox News. (Megan Kelly)

It's a huge distraction!!!!

I don't think about the news that's being reported, I think about sex!!!

I'd much rather have Jennifer give me news than this chick:

How the f*ck does any male pay attention?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: