Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Can someone explain me what is Wallace doing?

He buys out Toine's contract when it was an expirer. Then he signs Darius Miles and waives him. Then the trade with Houston, giving a 2nd round pick in 2011 for our former pick in 2009 and Stevie Franchise (and cash). And now he gives a new pick (in 2012) for cash and Shaun Livingston just to waive him afterwards. I know that these 2nd round pick exchanges have low impact now (and maybe in the future), but I don't see so much logic in the decissions.
any idea, anyone?
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: Can someone explain me what is Wallace doing?

Quote:
He buys out Toine's contract when it was an expirer.
Yeah, that was a stupid move. But I guess he was just giving Walker what he wanted.

Quote:
Then he signs Darius Miles and waives him.
Again, pretty stupid, but the only thing I can think of is to hurt the Blazers.

Quote:
Then the trade with Houston, giving a 2nd round pick in 2011 for our former pick in 2009 and Stevie Franchise (and cash).
It's just a small deal that gives us our '09 second rounder back and we also get some cash to boot. I don't see anything wrong with it, it just doesn't do much apart from give us a bit of cash.

Quote:
And now he gives a new pick (in 2012) for cash and Shaun Livingston just to waive him afterwards.
Again, it was just for the cash. Doesn't add much at all, but it just gives us a bit more money to work with.

Quote:
I know that these 2nd round pick exchanges have low impact now (and maybe in the future), but I don't see so much logic in the decissions.
any idea, anyone?
Teams (Houston and Heat) who don't have a use for a player (Francis and Livingston) will come to Memphis, due to out cap space, to try and get some kind of small trade going, that will benefit both teams. Memphis gets a bit of cash to boot and the other teams get a future pick, instead of getting nothing if they were to just waive a player.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Just for the cash, I really don't know what is the real benefit when the Grizzlies are already the team with the biggest cap space in the NBA. But it is something related to the bussiness more than to the team, so ok.

Meanwhile, Miles is back with the team for a 10-day contract...
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

The deals with Miami and Houston is just keeping Memphis in the good books, so to speak, to keep future trade talks available. Just one team helping out another team, even if it is not that significant.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
alexthegod
Local High School Star

1.Francis Trade: They basicly aquired their own 2009 2nd rounder and cash in exchange for helping houston save lux tax $$.

Teams are allowed to trade up to $3 mil, which would more than cover the remaing portion of his $2.6 mil annual salary Francis is due. Hou will pay the remainder of his salary plus cash to MEM. The conition on the "Conditional" 2nd round pick states that HOU only gets that pick if it is #56-60 and if its not in that range then HOU gets no pick at all. Basiclly the Rockets are not going to recieve a pick back.

2. Livingston Trade: This was simply a money making deal.

By aquiring and releasing Shaun, somehow they Grizz are off the hook for his salay (perhaps MIA is paying the remainder of his salary ala Francis trade) and they receive a heft sum of cash from MIA. Also the 2nd round pick ito MIA is "conditional". I'm guessing that condition is similar to Francis protected pick. So don't expect that MIA will ever see a 2nd rounder.

3. Critton Trade: They give up J-Critt and a "conditional" 2nd rounder to reaquire their 1st round "conditional" pick traded to Washington in the Juan Carlos Navaro trade.

Since that 1st round pick they got back was conditional through 2013, that might have caused problems in trading first round picks from 2010-13. Now they have all their own future 1st round picks without conditions.

4. Darius Miles: Now this one is going to get VERY interesting. Did you know that if Miles goes back on the Portland books that teams under the cap (and MEM is one of course) would receive an additional 250K in lux tax returns?

IF Mem plays him the required 2 games and ends up releasing him before his salary is guaranteed, you can bet its going to get ugly. With a history of money making deals just this season, it becomes very suspect.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Oops forgot to answer the original question, he's making his owner money is what he is doing lol.

I dont know the terms of the buyout, but I would guess that Walker finally was willing to give up some dough to have his freedom. So in that case it makes sense to buy him out since MEM probably saved over 1 mil in the deal.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

He is just building up some cash for the next season. Also those picks are all protected. Plus francis needs to get some playing time.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: