Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
jailer
MillionDollarException

Default How would you fix the grizzlies?

Ok guys im sure everyone here has their own way to turnaround the ailing grizzlies.

Here is one of my thoughts on the situation.

1) Trade conley and Warrik to a team with a chance at a top 6 pick. One of these team could be the kings, warriors, t'wolves, thunder, or wizards. You also take back a contract from the oposing team. You could maybe tray and get a young talent but we would have to throw in the first round pick from the lakers in the 2010 draft.

2) In the draft you take stephen curry and greg monroe.

3) You use your cap space to sign either paul milsap or david lee as your starting power forward. Then use the rest to sign a good outside threat like kyle korver.

4) You then fire Ivaroni and hire either Eddie Jordan or Maurice Cheeks.

Our lineup would like this.

pg-Curry
sg-Mayo
sf-Gay
pf-Lee/milsap
c-Gasol

Bench
pg-lowry
sg-?
sf-Korver
pf-Arthur
c-Monroe

This team would be explosive and could get to the playoffs. What do you guys think?
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Default Re: How would you fix the grizzlies?

we do not need curry as a PG on this team.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
derf
Learning to shoot layups

a coach and getting rid of conley is a start.hire a coach now so he can work with the team the rest of this season.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Well, I don't see much happening this season in terms of coaching issues or trades happening. I think if any trade would go down, it wouldn't be too big and would only involve swapping Conley and possibly someone else, possibly Arthur, with another team to try and get us a servicable guard and a nice bench player along with pick(s) to balance the trade. I also don't see Iavaroni losing his job anytime soon, for some reason Heisley seems to think Iavaroni isn't that bad and said nothing will happen until January to reassess the team, it's now January and I don't see anything happening.

Here's what I think we should do......

Give Iavaroni the rest of the season to see what he can do in the remaing 44 games, maybe he can get 15-18 wins out of it. Most of us knew that this season was a write off and that we wouldn't be going anywhere, this season was just for experience and I think most of us knew that. I thought we'd finish around the 10th spot and we were at 10th for most of the season, so far, and we've recently dropped to 11th, with only .5 or 1 game behind Minny. I expect us to finish in 10th or 11th, the top 9 teams are just too strong and the weaker teams are just too weak for us to fall that low.

At the end of season see what Iavaroni was able to do and go from there. Personally, I would first look who's out there for us to sign and if there is, we should look at what they can bring to the team. I want thoughness, defense, hard work and guys who will put their body on the line for the ball. I don't want a coach who will come in and will cause a stir, I want a guy who can bring us some wins and not bring us a f*cked up team.

In the draft, we look for a big man, first and foremost. Griffin, a PF, should be number 1 on our list, but in reality with the Grizz's luck, he's out of the question. So our top guy should be Monroe, another PF, good size, good strength, great passer and has a nice shot from outside, should work very well with a guy like Mayo. Again, with the Grizz's luck, we probably won't come close to getting a guy like Monroe.

Other guys we should look into.....

Earl Clark, another PF and could also play some SF behind Gay. He's only 6'9 though so that might cause some problems against the bigger PF's. Another player we should look into, if our pick isn't too high, is DeJuan Blair, another PF, this guy is really impressing me and his stock just keeps rising. He would bring fantastic rebounding (an excellent offensive rebounder), which we desperately need and would a player who brings strength and toughness and would be a great addition to play along side Gasol and Darko. Thabeet is another guy we should look into, but to me, he is not someone who should be high on at the moment and should not be one of our first choices. Guys like Harden, Curry, Jennings and DeRozan don't fit this team's needs and wouldn't be a smart move, unless they, far and away the best player left on the board.

With the cap space, we try and get a shooter. Someone who can play both the SG and SF, kind of like Ross, but can shoot. Buckner and Jaric are pretty much useless, as far as I am concerned. They don't do much apart from teach the younger guys and grab the spare minutes that are floating around.

So, here's my ideal roster for next season, if everything goes well.....

Starters

PG - Whoever we get in the Conley trade, possibly Sessions?
SG - Mayo
C - Gasol
PF - Monroe (Things would have to go really well in the draft. I doubt it though.)
SF - Gay

Bench

PG - Lowry
SG - Ross
C - Darko
PF - Hak
SF - Shooter who we sign

If things don't go so well, which I expect them to, like they always do with the Grizzlies, then I think our roster might look a bit like.....

Starters

PG - Lowry
SG - Mayo
C - Gasol
PF - Blair
SF - Gay

Bench

PG - Whoever we get in the Conley trade, if it's a bad trade.
SG - Ross
C - Darko
PF - Arthur (Hak gets traded in the Conley deal)
SF - Shooter who we get from the FA.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

i would take jennings if we cant get monroe or griffin
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
jailer
MillionDollarException

You guys are not looking at all the facts. Curry since his move to the point guard position this season has been an even better player than in past seasons. Curry is avg 29.ppg 7 apg 3 spg. He is shooting 46.% overall and about 40% overall. He is a great passer and has amazing court vision. Im telling you this guy is a game changer and the kind of point guard we need. He can spread the floor with his shooting and he can make the right pass.

I would obviously rather get blake or rubio is possible. But that wont happen. I like monroe as well. Thats why im saying we need to get another lottery pick so we can have a chance at getting one of the talented big men and Curry. Our two problems is post play and point guard play.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

FIX?????? Time will fix the grizzlies, a young talented team!! In a year or two they will be a top tier team unless a boneheaded trade is made......same for Portland.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

We need a point guard who can score and be a playmaker. Curry would not be a good choice though. He's a volume shooter and needs a certain amount of shots to get himself going. He want be able to take 20 shots a night on this team. I'd prefer we go after a point guard like Tywon Lawson or Patrick Mills. If we can somehow get a point guard via a trade instead then we should go after a pure scorer like maybe Jodie Meeks to come off the bench. I really don't think we need another big unless we trade one off. Arthur just needs time.

We also need a shooter so hopefully we can somehow get Luther Head or JJ Redick. If not, then we should just draft a shooter in the second round like Mcalarney.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
jailer
MillionDollarException

I wouldnt mind getting ty lawson. We need a point guard who can spread the floor.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
FIX?????? Time will fix the grizzlies, a young talented team!! In a year or two they will be a top tier team unless a boneheaded trade is made......same for Portland.

I agree that the grizz are young and with a little expierence they will be good. But you cant deny that there are wholes in this squad that need to be filled.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
tedloc
Decent playground baller

by going back in time... keeping pau gasol... not signing darius but instead bring in class guys who can help your team grow and develop.

also maybe by signing a good coach.

HA!
tedloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Kobe8
Banned

Talking Re: How would you fix the grizzlies?

take rookies out, and get some veterans..

too many rookies..but let marc stay..

Atleast get an 8 year pro player..
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedloc
by going back in time... keeping pau gasol... not signing darius but instead bring in class guys who can help your team grow and develop.

also maybe by signing a good coach.

HA!

Um miles is been really effective since signing here. He shows toughness and does the dirty work.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
tedloc
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Um miles is been really effective since signing here. He shows toughness and does the dirty work.

yeah... real effective at not winning games. darius sucks
and he's only posting numbers cause he's on such a horrible team.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
tedloc
Decent playground baller

but all joking aside
memphis has alot of good pieces.

oj, is phenomonal

gasol, arthur, lowry all developing into good players.

just keep bringin in pieces and a good coaching staff

there is NO quick fix... unless your the celts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: