Default Honest appraisal: How would these teams stack up against your high school teams

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E_jgevvGkKM

Both jv and varsity. These guys are like sophmore/junior age equivalent so about right in between average age of varsity and jv players.

My school plays in a highly competitive catholic league in cali so even our jv teams are fairly strong each year, I think these guys are a little better.

It's cliche to say that teams in asian leagues have pretty good fundamentals but lack size and athleticsm but I think it sums up these guys pretty well. They could still put up a decent game(not lose by more than 12) against like 75% of public hs varsity teams in cali though imo.

Love Live Life

Default Re: Honest appraisal: How would these teams stack up against your high school teams

Would crush both teams. This looks like city league compared to my JV and Varsity teams back in the day.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Honest appraisal: How would these teams stack up against your high school teams

Both teams looked as though they had very solid offensive skills. That said, it had the feel of an AAU game, in terms of the freedom with which each offense was allowed to play. The game seemed to be composed of, "Throw full-court trap out there, hope to force a turnover via system, then allow penetration into lane with largely unobstructed finish."

That style of play often did not carry over into our conference. I've known a lot players who've been dynamite in the summer circuit but lackluster when facing a legitimate defensive system.

That said, I think those clubs would handle my school's current JV team. But I feel their lack of height, size, strength, and defensive scheme/effort/ability would leave them on the wrong end against varsity clubs and the teams for which I was a member.

I don't know if my team had as many players with as many smooth looking one-on-one moves and it's not as if we were some legendary team or anything, but fundamentally - and defensively - I think we would have ground those fellers down. For reference, here is my former club (blue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5-ihZO9zw
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-17-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Watched a few min every there. #12 in white had sauce, I could tell by the way he bounced as he brought the ball up the floor threating to burst forward at any moment and the way he threw one-handed rocket passes, but you guys contained him very well from what I saw.

Two different shades of youth basketball: aau scene black pg in calf sleeves pushes ball, up floor teammates at most v-cutting to get open or if they're bigs jostling for position and they hoist a shot up 2 passes max,

high school white guy in head band slowly brings rock up occassionally retreat dribbling or crossing over to avoid defender and uses hand signals by his head to call out plays whilst various off ball screening and cutting is being set in motion.

Sometimes it's not even the disciplined defensive schemes or 100 plays(a lot of good high schools teams don't need that) you just don't see as much emphasis on feeding the post or a guy jump-stopping in the lane for a 3 foot jumper in aau.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectCell
    Watched a few min every there. #12 in white had sauce, I could tell by the way he bounced as he brought the ball up the floor threating to burst forward at any moment and the way he threw one-handed rocket passes, but you guys contained him very well from what I saw.

Two different shades of youth basketball: aau scene black pg in calf sleeves pushes ball, up floor teammates at most v-cutting to get open or if they're bigs jostling for position and they hoist a shot up 2 passes max,

high school white guy in head band slowly brings rock up occassionally retreat dribbling or crossing over to avoid defender and uses hand signals by his head to call out plays whilst various off ball screening and cutting is being set in motion.

Sometimes it's not even the disciplined defensive schemes or 100 plays(a lot of good high schools teams don't need that) you just don't see as much emphasis on feeding the post or a guy jump-stopping in the lane for a 3 foot jumper in aau.
    Yeah, #12 in white dropped 34 on us in the conference championship later that year, including 26 in the 2nd half (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5lSSZCOmo). They took us out in the playoffs and finished as state semi-finalists. I think their PG went on to run cross country at NC State.

Respectfully, I'm not sure of whom you're referring in the latter paragraphs though. Are you talking about my video or your own? What did you mean by AAU scene? And what was your last paragraph referencing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, #12 in white dropped 34 on us in the conference championship later that year, including 26 in the 2nd half (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5lSSZCOmo). They took us out in the playoffs and finished as state semi-finalists. I think their PG went on to run cross country at NC State.

Respectfully, I'm not sure of whom you're referring in the latter paragraphs though. Are you talking about my video or your own? What did you mean by AAU scene? And what was your last paragraph referencing?
    Completely went off of on all sorts of tangents, nonsensical.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectCell
    Completely went off of on all sorts of tangents, nonsensical.
    Haha, happens to the best of us.

Local High School Star

They look bad to be honest. My friends and I will win them all the time unless exhausted.

Honestly, these teams are just too small. I coach HS varsity for a small catholic league school, so we face plenty of teams that don't have a lot of size, and it's typically the deciding factor, regardless of talent. Last year we started a 6'6" Center, 6'4" PF, and a 6'3" SF. We ran a 2-3 (2-1-2) zone all season and shut teams like these down consistently.