Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
bullz_rule21
Decent playground baller

bullz_rule21 has an OK reputation so far
Default James Johnson has been pretty bad this summer league

I'm pretty shocked as to how bad he has performed this summer league, last game shot 2-12 and turned the ball over late in the game which cost the bulls the game.

It doesn't look like JJ is going to be a huge contributor at this rate for this coming season. Now i know he isn't playing with the actual squad but watching his performance has really let me down so far this summer.

I've only seen 2 games but do you guys think there is a player or two who could make this teams roster?

I like John Lucas to make the roster and backup Rose; and Sarmado Samuels really played well last game I'm not sure who he is but he had a solid game.
bullz_rule21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Millennium X
Decent playground baller

Millennium X is starting to rub some people the wrong wayMillennium X is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: James Johnson has been pretty bad this summer league

he just sucks, no big deal. plenty of 1st round picks are total duds anyway.

also how could he possibly expect to get playing time with Deng, Korver, Brewer now on the team?
Millennium X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hey was alright today. much better, but overall he's definitely underachieved. Maybe he's just a late bloomer
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board

It's very frustrating watching him play. The skills are all there and he has all the tools to be a really good player, but he's yet to put it all together. Doesn't mean he won't...he still is only entering his 2nd year but who knows. For him its all a matter of his mindset. He needs to settle down. We all see it and I'm sure his coaches keep telling him that and i'm sure he knows it himself but he hasn't been able to break out of it yet. If he could play calm and focus on what he does well he would definately be able to contribute. He forces things way too much, he's out of control with his ball handling, he tries to hit a home run every single time down the court.

There's good and bad things about him at this point. He put the time and effort into getting himself into shape this offseason and that is extremely obvious. He plays hard, he's aggressive, doesn't quit, and he isn't scared of anybody out there on the court. He has a nice handle, very smooth at times taking the ball to the bucket and has nice form on his shot. His defense is aggressive and he's strong enough and quick enough to stay with and contain most guys.

It's mental mistakes that cost him. He makes dumb decisions then gets down on himself and it negatively impacts his play from that point on.

I haven't lost hope in him though and it's way too early to say that he was a bad pick for us and that he'll never help us.

I'm hoping that under Thibs he becomes a key component to our team defense and he becomes important in coming off the bench and guarding the opposing teams best player and doing well. I think if he's given a vote of confidence along with consistent minutes that he'll play better. He needs more time on the court. Only with actual playing experience will he learn the right way and correct his mistakes. Hopefully. But I strongly feel that one thing will lead to another. If he does well on the defensive end and gets some easy buckets in transition and knocks down some open shots and earns himself a key role in our rotation his confidence will grow and his skills will prove to be a valuable asset to our Bulls.
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
jphoc13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jphoc13 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsbb27
It's very frustrating watching him play. The skills are all there and he has all the tools to be a really good player, but he's yet to put it all together. Doesn't mean he won't...he still is only entering his 2nd year but who knows. For him its all a matter of his mindset. He needs to settle down. We all see it and I'm sure his coaches keep telling him that and i'm sure he knows it himself but he hasn't been able to break out of it yet. If he could play calm and focus on what he does well he would definately be able to contribute. He forces things way too much, he's out of control with his ball handling, he tries to hit a home run every single time down the court.

There's good and bad things about him at this point. He put the time and effort into getting himself into shape this offseason and that is extremely obvious. He plays hard, he's aggressive, doesn't quit, and he isn't scared of anybody out there on the court. He has a nice handle, very smooth at times taking the ball to the bucket and has nice form on his shot. His defense is aggressive and he's strong enough and quick enough to stay with and contain most guys.

It's mental mistakes that cost him. He makes dumb decisions then gets down on himself and it negatively impacts his play from that point on.

I haven't lost hope in him though and it's way too early to say that he was a bad pick for us and that he'll never help us.

I'm hoping that under Thibs he becomes a key component to our team defense and he becomes important in coming off the bench and guarding the opposing teams best player and doing well. I think if he's given a vote of confidence along with consistent minutes that he'll play better. He needs more time on the court. Only with actual playing experience will he learn the right way and correct his mistakes. Hopefully. But I strongly feel that one thing will lead to another. If he does well on the defensive end and gets some easy buckets in transition and knocks down some open shots and earns himself a key role in our rotation his confidence will grow and his skills will prove to be a valuable asset to our Bulls.
Sounds a lot like Rex Grossman. Lots of talent but no self control.
jphoc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphoc13
Sounds a lot like Rex Grossman. Lots of talent but no self control.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Johnson just isn't good at basketball... Oh well. He's only under contract for another season and then they can reject his team option.
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
Johnson just isn't good at basketball... Oh well. He's only under contract for another season and then they can reject his team option.

I think your exagerrating a bit with that kind of statement, but I guess we'll see. If all else fails I atleast hope he can thrive on the defensive end under Thibs' coaching. I really can't wait to see how much our team defense improves. Johnson can definately come into the game and make a difference defensively. If that goes well hopefully his offensive game picks up as well. Still only entering his 2nd year so let's not kick him out of town yet.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can see how JJ would do bad in SL. It's more athletic and unorganized than a real NBA game.

Think of it like this. JJ didn't have to be on the SL roster. He could have just came back for pre-season and we would have never seen any of these massive foul games.

I think he did okay, other than his aggressive man defense. He tried TOO hard, and when you face up against unknowns, that's too "streetball" to impress anyone. In the regular season, he'll know his matchups better, he'll be in a role working on strategy, so we wont see this bad side of him as much. But yes, it does bother me that he HAS NBA experience, yet he made some of those "rookie" mistakes still.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

emsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation here

JJ always gave me the impression of being one of those "party-first" NBA players. or maybe that's cause i saw him at a concert right after he was drafted.
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
fknc
Get JJ Minutes

fknc is considered somewhat coolfknc is considered somewhat cool

JJ is still learning to play on the wings. In college things were easy for him. He is naturally gifted with a big body that moves well. He just needs to learn how to put things together. He puts the effort in but the results don't always turn out positive. The putback dunk called for goaltending in the playoffs against Cleveland comes to mind.

He just needs time, give him until the end of this season before you call him a bust. I think Thibbs will try to turn him into a defense first kind of player which I think would be perfect for him. He has the body to really make things difficult on offensive players. He's 6'8" with a huge wingspan. Let's give him some time.
fknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknc
JJ is still learning to play on the wings. In college things were easy for him. He is naturally gifted with a big body that moves well. He just needs to learn how to put things together. He puts the effort in but the results don't always turn out positive. The putback dunk called for goaltending in the playoffs against Cleveland comes to mind.

He just needs time, give him until the end of this season before you call him a bust. I think Thibbs will try to turn him into a defense first kind of player which I think would be perfect for him. He has the body to really make things difficult on offensive players. He's 6'8" with a huge wingspan. Let's give him some time.

Agreed. Way too early to put that label on him already. Especially considering he didn't get much playing time in his rookie season. The issues that he has with his game are only going to improve with more time on the court. He has to be able to given the oppurtunity to play through some tough times and learn from his mistakes. The more time on the court he gets the better it will be for him. I think he realizes that he's going to have to earn those minutes and its atleast obvious that during this offseason he worked hard to get himself into top shape. He's noticeably slimmer and alot quicker. We know he's athletic and we know he's strong he just has to use his strengths to his advantage and play smart and under control.

They should make him concentrate on the defensive end first and help him to learn not to make stupid unnecessary fouls. Once he starts to consistently do well on the defensive end I think his offensive game will come to him. As long as he's getting decent minutes he'll be able to help offensively. With DRose pushing the ball Johnson can get transition points and spot up for drive and kick chances. As long as he's not getting called for alot of dumb fouls and not turning the ball over he can be valuable out there and earn his time on the court.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
LosBulls
Bulls Fan Since 2010

LosBulls posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryLosBulls posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Eh trade him away i guess.
LosBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: