Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: do you garden / grow produce / smell pretty flowers

Are you guys not aware how shitty your backyard looks with a garden?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Nice. My back yard has a canopy of trees which makes growing anything almost impossible but I love it because it stays about 20 degrees cooler back there than in front. I could grow just about anything in front of the house but it would look rather redneck , so I stick to shrubs, flowers, ornamentals, etc. I've got some herbs growing in pots on the front porch where we get the most sun (basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano).
    My neighbors, in the most affluent neighborhood in town, have a very nice looking front garden. I usually agree with you but this one looks great and is very productive. I've been meaning to snap a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollDouchebag
    Who cares. You don't own a house or a yard. I'm sure your parent's yard would look nice with or without a garden.

   

wow, cool thread. i wouldn't have imagined a thread like this would get good replies on ISH. i used to have a community garden plot back in west philly. we'd grow all kinds of good stuff, but tomatoes and chilis came out the best IME.

i keep meaning to do a green window in my apt, altho i'm not sure how well that will work with a N and W exposure.

btw, something to take note of if (like me) you're in to kale and these other things:
    [quote]In a recent study, molecular biologist Ernie Hubbard found that [b]kale

   

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    IIRC you have pretty good taste and knowledge of art.

but if that's correct, how could you possibly say something as ridiculous as you just did above?

There's some classy shit in here. Respect, ISH.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i finally have a plot in the back and its pretty sweet, i'm eating raw kale every morning. i didn't do any of it except i buried a couple rotten potatoes a few months ago and now they're growing, i asked why i couldn't see them but he said they grow in the ground and then you pull them out
    That's some pretty entry level garden knowledge.

Good luck. My father lived on a farm in Europe as a kid and he said that nothing in the world tastes better than a potato right out of the ground.

I just have some herbs growing on a windowsill, but we joined a CSA this year and yesterday I had some of the best corn of my life. Also some great cucumbers we made into Sheppard's Salad. Ever have that? A great summertime dish.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    wow, cool thread. i wouldn't have imagined a thread like this would get good replies on ISH. i used to have a community garden plot back in west philly. we'd grow all kinds of good stuff, but tomatoes and chilis came out the best IME.

i keep meaning to do a green window in my apt, altho i'm not sure how well that will work with a N and W exposure.

btw, something to take note of if (like me) you're in to kale and these other things:

sounds like a good time to go hydroponic.
    You can find trace elements of a lot of stuff in plants. Doesn't mean they're anywhere near dangerous levels.

Hell, there's all sorts of trace pharmaceuticals in our water supply. Going hydro won't necessarily solve your problems. And hydroponics cab be nutrient limiting. All plants require the 16 essential macro and micro nutrients; some of which are metals.

Very good NBA starter

I'll grow different stuff.

tomatoes, squash, peppers (habanero, poblano, jalapeno, piquin, etc), broccoli, okra, and other stuff... a variety of herbs, maybe a dozen different kinds

San Antonio (central Texas) weather is very conducive to growing, lots of sunlight.. but does get hot so more watering is necessary

I'm trying to grow more stuff and learn as much as possible. But just the gardening itself is therapeutic and relaxing

   

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    That's some pretty entry level garden knowledge.

Good luck. My father lived on a farm in Europe as a kid and he said that nothing in the world tastes better than a potato right out of the ground.

I just have some herbs growing on a windowsill, but we joined a CSA this year and yesterday I had some of the best corn of my life. Also some great cucumbers we made into Sheppard's Salad. Ever have that? A great summertime dish.
    you know his country owes my dad's a shoutout for ze good old "papa!"

i did a CSA summer before last. too much 'random' stuff every week for me to handle, so i wound up giving a lot of it away. it was almost two extra jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    You can find trace elements of a lot of stuff in plants. Doesn't mean they're anywhere near dangerous levels.

Hell, there's all sorts of trace pharmaceuticals in our water supply. Going hydro won't necessarily solve your problems. And hydroponics cab be nutrient limiting. All plants require the 16 essential macro and micro nutrients; some of which are metals.
    yeah i get it, but as i read it he's not so much caught up with statistics so much as making a pointful statement based against his standing. hyper-accumulation doesn't sound good in context.

i didn't know that about hydroponics, thanks. but i imagine it's not an unsolvable problem given ability to filter / distill and supplement the water as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    you know his country owes my dad's a shoutout for ze good old "papa!"

i did a CSA summer before last. too much 'random' stuff every week for me to handle, so i wound up giving a lot of it away. it was almost two extra jobs.

yeah i get it, but as i read it he's not so much caught up with statistics so much as making a pointful statement based against his standing. hyper-accumulation doesn't sound good in context.

i didn't know that about hydroponics, thanks. but i imagine it's not an unsolvable problem given ability to filter / distill and supplement the water as necessary.
    The problem is that they don't filter them because no one expected there were a bunch of idiots flushing their pills down the toilet.

Anyway, that study is about industrial ag, this thread is about back yard gardening, and it's highly unlikely that the soil in your backyard (that was likely bought) has toxic metals at elevated levels.

   

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    The problem is that they don't filter them because no one expected there were a bunch of idiots flushing their pills down the toilet.

Anyway, that study is about industrial ag, this thread is about back yard gardening, and it's highly unlikely that the soil in your backyard (that was likely bought) has toxic metals at elevated levels.
    i no rite? i haven't read a recent article, but remember reports from years ago that flushed pharma stuff seemed to be making the hydrofauna (is that actually a word? lol) behave erratically.

but anyway, are you sure about the soil differences? like, maybe this is not so much about soil-difference as it is about brassica's ability to make worst-case stuff out of a wide range of soils...?

but yeah basically i'm just trying to present the theory and get help finding holes in it. i'm crazy about cabbage via 'kraut and soups / stews. one of those magic veggies that you can never overcook, etc...

rank sentamentalist

tomatoes, squash, peppers (habanero, poblano, jalapeno, piquin, etc), broccoli, okra, and other stuff... a variety of herbs, maybe a dozen different kinds
    yessss broccoli would be awesome to have fresh from the garden

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Grow veggies at home and work on trees that produce 40 kinds of fruit

Banned

I'm planning on bringing some Cannabis seeds and growing them somewhere on my college campus once I get there in August. Will be my first time growing and the weed will probably suck but we'll see what happens.

That sounds like a terrible idea.