Thread: Early Access

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Default Early Access

Full details here: http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq
    List of games here: http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Early%20Access/

Many of you are familiar with DayZ. The trend is growing on Steam.

-Good idea?

-Are you more likely to pay for an Early Access Game than you would be for a new game on release or preorder? (This isn't an apples to apples comparison; early access games are the creations of indie developers while many of the games you pre-purchase are not. info in link above)

-Have you already tried an Early Access Game? Which ones?

Any other thoughts/opinions welcomed.

Default Re: Early Access

-Good idea?
    At first, I wasn't sold. Why should I buy a game if I'm effectively doing a service by testing it? On the other hand, how's this any different than something like Skyrim which required a patch soon after release? Most of these games benefit from a healthy mod community from day 1. This is where pc gaming shines brightest for me as it allows me to play the game any number of ways.

-Are you more likely to pay for an Early Access Game than you would be for a new game on release or preorder? (This isn't an apples to apples comparison; early access games are the creations of indie developers while many of the games you pre-purchase are not. info in link above)
    Incredibly more likely. The most expensive Early Access titles check in around $30 US, roughly half the cost of a new release. Preorder incentives such as in-game items don't appeal to me. I'm cheap. Steam sales and The Humble Bundle have taught me the terribly poor value of buying a game at launch.

-Have you already tried an Early Access Game? Which ones?
    Kerbal Space Program. Many Kerbals have died trying to land on the Mun. Many Kerbals. This was easily one of the top 10 gaming experiences i had in the past year. It's updated frequently, and each update feels like additional DLC for free.

You answered your own question as if you're were someone else.

It does look odd, but I didn't want to litter the op with my responses. Any threads I make are starving for replies anyway

Aren't some early access games more expensive? I was interested in Wasteland 2 but seems awfully expensive for a game is that is going to aggravate me a bunch

It appears you're right. Dang. I even posted the list of games too. There are a handful that are more expensive. Can't see the incentive to get in on those titles as opposed to waiting for the finished product to make my decision.