Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #61
huppcap
Local High School Star

Default Re: starting pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster
43 minutes
19 pt
11 ast
1 to
big time player, too smart
that is team basketball, well done jose !!!!
does anybody think otherwise ?
by the way tj look very good sitting on the brench.

Ford's been injured you fool!

So I guess according to you Jose sucked last year when he was sitting on the bench not playing much because he had a foot injury. Mike James was the man last year I suppose. lol

The Raptors have a great PG situation. It's great Jose can play like he has while Ford is trying to recover and get back from his ankle injury. Jose's has had some bad games too. ie. Phoenix and other games where he has not played well. I like Jose. He was a great pick-up by Babcock last year but TJ is the starter. He is younger and is still getting better. You don't give up on a guy like Ford with the quickness and talent he has.

The great thing is Jose is a team player as is Ford.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #62
Parps
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
All of what I'm about to say is IMO.

I think that what we see from Calderon right now is the best we will ever see. Yes, I know that him and Ford are very similar in age. I don't think that he can improve much more. Maybe he can become a better three point shooter but I wouldn't guarntee.

When I said that TJ has a better upside, I meant that this isn't the best we will see from him. I think that he is still going to improve more. He still looks raw to me. TJ has shown flashes this year of being an elite point guard in the league. I would wait untill the end of next year, if TJ hasn't shown that he is clearly the better player then Jose then I wouldn't care if the Raps got rid of him.

What I meant by him being part of the teams core was Colangelo wants Ford, Bosh and Bargnani to grow together because he sees something in all three of them. He must think that the three of tehm will compliment each other. I am by no means trying to say that I know what Colangelo is thinking. This is all just my opinion.

I appreciate the dignified response. What you are saying makes some sense...

I'm sure Colangelo knows better than you or I, I just hope he can admit that he made a mistake (if that is the case).

I just don't see Calderon sticking around as a Raps backup PG for another year and a half. Other teams will be taking notice....
Parps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #63
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
seriously jose should be the lead guard for the raptors.
zero turn over tonight,what a game.

And I suppose if Jose has a couple of crappy games together and TJ plays well in those games might say Jose should be coming off the bench.

Wasn't it Ford who played well and pushed the team to win while Bosh was out.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #64
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parps
I appreciate the dignified response. What you are saying makes some sense...

I'm sure Colangelo knows better than you or I, I just hope he can admit that he made a mistake (if that is the case).

I just don't see Calderon sticking around as a Raps backup PG for another year and a half. Other teams will be taking notice....

Hopefully Jose does stick around. Obviously he will get interest. The Raptors may get a hometown discount though. Jose truly wants to be in Toronto; it seems he is sincere about that. No other city in the NBA offers the international flavour that Toronto does and I assume he would like to continue to play with Garbajosa. He may feel he was given a chance by the Raptors and 'give' back to them by staying. There may be a wide gap though if he is offered starter money.

I believe Jose is unlike alot of players in the NBA who are driven mostly by top dollar.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #65
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I think Calderon might be traded in the offseason if he keeps playing well. His value will be high, the Raptors already have a starting PG and they have serious depth issues on the wings (moreso once Mo Pete leaves). Trading Calderon and signing some cheap backup might be the best thing for the Raptors.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #66
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think Calderon might be traded in the offseason if he keeps playing well. His value will be high, the Raptors already have a starting PG and they have serious depth issues on the wings (moreso once Mo Pete leaves). Trading Calderon and signing some cheap backup might be the best thing for the Raptors.

Yeah I agree with you. If we can get some good value for Jose then it might be in our best intrest to trade him. We would at least get some value rather then just letting him walk and getting nothing. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it just might happen. It would be great keeping both Ford and Calderon.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #67
Tool
Ball til I fall

Nope, won't do it we're keeping the Spanish connection
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #68
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
Nope, won't do it we're keeping the Spanish connection

But if Calderon makes it clear that he is going to leave, then wouldn't you rather trade him for some value?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #69
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
But if Calderon makes it clear that he is going to leave, then wouldn't you rather trade him for some value?

Even if he doesn't it would smart of Colangelo to at least explore this possibility. With big holes on the wings, I don't see how the Raptors will be able to afford dishing out bigger money on a backup PG.

I like Calderon but I also want the Raptors to win. I'd rather have a winning team than a likable team.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #70
syncmaster
Learning to shoot layups

here are the stats between jose and tj as a starter.
min fg% 3pt% ft% reb ast to pst
jc 37.0 0.55 0.55 0.81 3.7 8.8 2.1 14.1
tj 31.2 0.44 0.32 0.80 3.8 7.6 3.7 14.9
base on these number,nobody should argue whose better.
jose is more effective than tj and less experience in the nba.
I think jose have more upside than tj because he`s smarter.
he know what it take to be champion.
may be tj try too hard to prove himself.
the bottom line are we needed a right people to run the point.
it should be JOSE not TJ.
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #71
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
here are the stats between jose and tj as a starter.
min fg% 3pt% ft% reb ast to pst
jc 37.0 0.55 0.55 0.81 3.7 8.8 2.1 14.1
tj 31.2 0.44 0.32 0.80 3.8 7.6 3.7 14.9
base on these number,nobody should argue whose better.
jose is more effective than tj and less experience in the nba.
I think jose have more upside than tj because he`s smarter.
he know what it take to be champion.
may be tj try too hard to prove himself.
the bottom line are we needed a right people to run the point.
it should be JOSE not TJ.

TJ may have a bit more NBA experience but Jose has more overall experience. The stats aren't really different. TJ gets more turnovers but other then that they are basically equal. You also have to consider how many games these stats are based over. Ford has started a fair amount more then Calderon. The only way that we will be able to lay this argument to rest is when TJ and Jose are both 100%. Then we will see who should truly be the starting PG.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #72
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Both played outstanding today. I really don't care who starts anymore as long as we get a consistent effort by both of them on a nightly basis. Like what happened today against the Clipps. When Calderon left and Ford came in there was no difference in the offense and vice-versa when Ford left and Calderon came in.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #73
huppcap
Local High School Star

I am probably more up in the air now on who starts. When TJ is healthy the Raptors can win with him as well. I just take exception to people who say he sucks and is useless. Ford had a good game yesterday and on Friday. He had 10 assists and 1 turn-over against the Hawks in only 17 minutes whereas Jose only had 5 assists in 30 minutes but scored more than Ford. Ford is improved over last year as well as Jose. The Raptors are in a great situation. When your starting and back-up PG can both give you great minutes in the same game that's a good situation. Calderon does have good trade value. The only problem is if you trade him and Ford is out with injury then your chance of winning drops quite a bit.

Jose does not seem to have any ego. He is happy playing 15 minutes or 35 minutes. He just wants to win.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #74
Gregsguys
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
I am probably more up in the air now on who starts. When TJ is healthy the Raptors can win with him as well. I just take exception to people who say he sucks and is useless. Ford had a good game yesterday and on Friday. He had 10 assists and 1 turn-over against the Hawks in only 17 minutes whereas Jose only had 5 assists in 30 minutes but scored more than Ford. Ford is improved over last year as well as Jose. The Raptors are in a great situation. When your starting and back-up PG can both give you great minutes in the same game that's a good situation. Calderon does have good trade value. The only problem is if you trade him and Ford is out with injury then your chance of winning drops quite a bit.

Jose does not seem to have any ego. He is happy playing 15 minutes or 35 minutes. He just wants to win.

I agree completely with the above.

IMO " No friction between them then no trade "
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: