Exclamation Raptors Sign Greg Stiemsma

http://www.nba.com/raptors/stiemsma_090414

Stiemsma, 6-foot-11, 260 pounds, averaged 2.9 points with career bests of 4.1 rebounds and 18.3 minutes in 55 games (20 starts) last season with New Orleans. He scored in double figures four times, including a season-high 12 points January 3 at Boston. He also recorded back-to-back double-digit rebound totals with 11 caroms at Cleveland on January 28 and a career-best 12 boards January 29 at Minnesota.

The University of Wisconsin product has played for New Orleans, Minnesota (2012-13) and Boston (2011-12). He owns career averages of 3.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 16.0 minutes in 186 NBA games (42 starts).
    Current team roster looks like this:

PG: K. Lowry / G. Vasquez / W. Cherry
    SG: D. DeRozan / L. Williams / L. Fields
    SF: T. Ross / James Johnson / B. Caboclo / J. Hamilton
    PF: Amir Johnson / P. Patterson / T. Hansbrough
    C: J. Valanciunas / C. Hayes / L. Nogueira/ G. Stiemsma
    Last edited by Legends66NBA7; 09-04-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Raptors Sign Greg Stiemsma

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Current team roster looks like this:

PG: K. Lowry / G. Vasquez / W. Cherry
    SG: D. DeRozan / L. Williams / L. Fields
    SF: T. Ross / James Johnson / B. Caboclo / J. Hamilton
    PF: Amir Johnson / P. Patterson / T. Hansbrough
    C: J. Valanciunas / C. Hayes / L. Nogueira/ G. Stiemsma
    Too many players

I am really curious what gives...

It also has to be someone with a 'significant contract'. The terms are not announced I presume but I am sure that puts us in Luxury tax level 'prior' to trying to sign a marquee player of any sort.

Edit

<< some remarks that this is non guaranteed contract ; further some bad blood with Val. Maybe this is not what it seems i.e. a youth movement over Cedric >>
    Last edited by Jballer; 09-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I hope Stiemsma plays his way in front of Chuck Hayes in that rotation. He should be a better player. Ideally, Nogueira blows them both out of the water for the backup minutes.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

I could see Stiemsma getting some time. Solid rebounder, can block some shots. As mentioned, best case scenario would be for Noguiera to be good enough to play off the bench, but I think Stiemsma is a good insurance policy in the likelihood Bebe is not ready.

The Toronto Raptors have signed free-agent centre Greg Stiemsma to a deal. According to ESPN

Local High School Star

If Stiemsma actually lands (non guaranteed) I think it would be evident he would likely play in from of (undersized) Hayes and likely Hansborough.

Given this "rash of signings" Masai must have one of two things up his sleeve.

1) Stiemsma contract is likely / obviously less expensive than Hansborough and Hayes so perhaps he has a deal in the works to pull a salary dump for one of those two players. Both have value i.e. 2nd rounder anyway. There is no doubt in my mind that a number of teams with 'some cap space' would take them.

2) Masai brought in a player that JV claimed 'punked him' in the regular season. Some bad blood. Perhaps this is a 'wake up and get tough call to JV' or a 'preseason practice partner' that is going to test JVs mettle because he wont be particularly soft or respectful of JV's status of future star if he is playing for a contract in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    If Stiemsma actually lands (non guaranteed) I think it would be evident he would likely play in from of (undersized) Hayes and likely Hansborough.

Given this "rash of signings" Masai must have one of two things up his sleeve.

1) Stiemsma contract is likely / obviously less expensive than Hansborough and Hayes so perhaps he has a deal in the works to pull a salary dump for one of those two players. Both have value i.e. 2nd rounder anyway. There is no doubt in my mind that a number of teams with 'some cap space' would take them.

2) Masai brought in a player that JV claimed 'punked him' in the regular season. Some bad blood. Perhaps this is a 'wake up and get tough call to JV' or a 'preseason practice partner' that is going to test JVs mettle because he wont be particularly soft or respectful of JV's status of future star if he is playing for a contract in the NBA
    I've read that Nogueria also gets under Jonas's skin during practice. Remember his rookie season when Hansbrough did this to him ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6epjY0Icc

Sending guys to rough him up a bit in practice will just toughen him up mentally and physically for a full season.

Local High School Star

Woolstat "repeat tweets" recently (again September 8 ) that Cherry / Hamilton / Stiemsma are all Non Guaranteed contracts...

"Not sure its out there... "

Kind of tweets the reference out of the blue.

Wonder why he does that ?

Makes me think something is going on with Masai and his phone. Woolstat is semi connected into the photocopier room circuit at MLSE.

Frankly its like the Raptors have "cornered the market" on productive guys willing to take a shot on a good team with an NG contract.

Maybe Masia does have potential moves for Hayes/ Hansborough/ Fields.

I hope he keeps sweet Lou though.