Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bad comparisons

I remember when they compared DaJuan Wagner to Allen Iverson :

lets see..........small SG/uncanny ability to get to the hoop/feisty........must be the next AI, right?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

How can you not be a 3 point shooter if you were one of the best in nBA history at shooting 3s? Sure, Bird did a lot of other things too, but he still had "3 point shooter" as one of his lables.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Um the reason it has been a bad comparison is Bird came into the L as that type of player but the comparisons happened b4 Dirk was that well rounded...Dirk was a catch a shooter when he entered even in his first 3 seasons and he was getting compared becuz he was white...not much more....he has now developed a more well rounded game as you say but his passing or rebounding will never be on par I mean you put Dirk in the High post becuz he can't really get off in the low post against a decent physical defender..
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
kidachi

Dirk and Bird

they're both great big men shooters. then?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
williams/boozer to sotckton/malone...just b/c they are on the same team and have really great chemistry doesnt meant they should be compared.
That's not the only reason they're compared. Sloan has molded them into the same type of players as his past stars and they play very similarly (offensively, that is).
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #21
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
How can you not be a 3 point shooter if you were one of the best in nBA history at shooting 3s? Sure, Bird did a lot of other things too, but he still had "3 point shooter" as one of his lables.
he never made more than 100 threes in a season and he took under 2 a game for his career. the most 3s per game in a season he shot was 3.3 and that was in the 90s when his back limited him from really attacking.

he is one of the best 3pt shooters ever but that isn't what characterized him in games. I just feel like calling him a 3pt shooter takes away from him being one of the best all around players ever, and he really didn't look to shoot it much.

never made more than 1.3 threes per game in a season. that's less than Andrea Bargnani made in 25mpg last year. he wouldn't even be top 50 in that category today. as far as his attempts per game? not even top 50 among guards.

side note... Rafer Alston takes 6.5 threes per game. that is absolutely stunning to me. he just has no business shooting that many.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #22
CAYO
Serious playground baller

CAYO has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
Morrison/bird - I always wanted to know what scout said morrison=bird
Dirk/Bird - They are both white, almost 7feet and can shoot the 3 with a good %. Thats it. We got Tim Thomas, Lamar Odom and Donyell Marshall. They are tall, can shoot the 3, but they are black so they are not like Dirk, Bird or Bargnani

CAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Question Re: Bad comparisons

Uh is a Bryant-Jordan comparison a bad one?
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
why not? they're actually quite similar. same coach, same system, same team, you've got a PG with wicked handles and first-rate passing ability with very good defense who is great in the halfcourt who runs the pick and roll all day with a 6'10 player with every scoring skill you could possibly want from a PF, who runs the pick and roll to perfection, hits every midrange jumper, and gobbles up every rebound.

I really don't see how this comparison can be avoided frankly.

Actually, both Boozer and Malone are 6'9 "undersized" power-forwards (I don't necessarily agree that 6'9 is undersized).
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #25
mattevans11
National High School Star

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

what is wrong with some of these.

1. odom and pippen- they do have similar games..... sure pippen is way better but that is not the point..... they are very simiar players and if you cant see the either you dont remember pippens game or dont see enough of lamar. pippen did some things better and quite frankly odom does in fact do some things better.

2. williams and boozer to stockton and malone
this is a fair comparison..... boozer was out two years ago when williams was a rook..... i gotta say that they had a better first year together than stockton and malone did. jsut a thought

3. morrison to bird..... this was a college comparison. didnt hear much abotu it last year. truth is that their games were similar in college. both slow footed white guys that could score whenever they wanted. sure bird has a much more all around game, but their offensive skills were comparable when morrison was at gonzaga.
mattevans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #26
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Uh is a Bryant-Jordan comparison a bad one?

Not at all. That's almost as close as you can get in resembling somebody's playing style. They're different players but very similar.
People don't like that comparison because Jordan is too loved and respected and that's it.
Other than that, it's a great comparison.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #27
mattevans11

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Not at all. That's almost as close as you can get in resembling somebody's playing style. They're different players but very similar.
People don't like that comparison because Jordan is too loved and respected and that's it.
Other than that, it's a great comparison.

AGREED same can be said for bron/magic and bron/jordan
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Actually, I think Jason Kidd and Deron Williams is a pretty good comparison. Kidd's been my fave player since his days in Cal and, living in Salt Lake, I've watched both Stockton and Williams countless times. Aside from the obvious that D-Will LOOKS more like Deron, I think it's their size that makes them play similar. Stockton was almost strictly a half-court, slow-the-game-down player... rarely did he try to push the tempo. Deron and Kidd would rather push the ball up for an easy 2 than methodically pick the defenses apart. All 3 are great passers, but I think Deron and Kidd are more on-the-fly creators while Stockton knew every player's spot and waited for the play to unfold - like a quarterback waiting for receivers to run their routes. Stockton also didn't rebound as much as the other 2 do.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #29
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Actually, I think Jason Kidd and Deron Williams is a pretty good comparison. Kidd's been my fave player since his days in Cal and, living in Salt Lake, I've watched both Stockton and Williams countless times. Aside from the obvious that D-Will LOOKS more like Deron, I think it's their size that makes them play similar. Stockton was almost strictly a half-court, slow-the-game-down player... rarely did he try to push the tempo. Deron and Kidd would rather push the ball up for an easy 2 than methodically pick the defenses apart. All 3 are great passers, but I think Deron and Kidd are more on-the-fly creators while Stockton knew every player's spot and waited for the play to unfold - like a quarterback waiting for receivers to run their routes. Stockton also didn't rebound as much as the other 2 do.

I think you're just projecting what you want or expect rather what is happening (though I'd rather have Stockton than Kidd). I don't see Deron as very reliant on the transition offense even if he pushes the ball occasionally. Jazz play a fast pace but in terms of on-the-fly creativity he is like Stockton, he knows where his teammates are and he knows how to get the ball to them(see the little wrap-arounds off the pick and roll that he executes perfectly many times a game). Maybe this is just because he is under Sloan but I haven't seen him really trying to push around the defense with tempo or getting in the lane and reshaping the defense like Kidd as much as I've seen him cutting defenses down with finding a teammate who has gotten himself open and making a precise pass. This is just as effective.

Also, like Stockton, his other threat is his shot. Maybe he rebounds better than Stockton but it's not an emphasis in his game like it is for Kidd. That is one of Kidd's main responsibilities and contributions, whereas for Deron and Stockton it's not a very important stat.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #30
mattevans11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
No it can't, because nothing about Magic or Jordan's game resembles LeBron's.

you are telling me that lebron and magic have nothing in common. this is laughable. im not even going inot what ways.

and to jordan..... what are you talking about. other than kobe he is the only one to come around that resembles jordans game. if you cant see that you need to find a new sport to watch.

fact is that lebron is a mix between the two...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: